Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The best shirt in the world ?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The best shirt in the world ? Empty
PostSubject: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 1:27 pm

No, it's not an auction.
I was just watching the FA Cup, and I see Bristol Rovers have gone back to that wonderful green and black quartered shirt they had when they were at Twerton for a few years.

Why have we never ever gone for the quarters ?
Green and black with the old fashioned collar excellent, even I would buy one.
It has to be the coolest shirt in football ... almost Rugbyesque
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 1:31 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
No, it's not an auction.
I was just watching the FA Cup, and I see Bristol Rovers have gone back to that wonderful green and black quartered shirt they had when they were at Twerton for a few years.

Often thought the same myself. I have never understood why when a club changes its shirt it only makes small alterations. Why not have hoops one year, quarters the next, then stripes and then back to plain? I would be more inclined to buy one then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 1:33 pm

My other half is a Turnip Rovers fan, it could be interesting in a few weeks time!

Remember the days when it was just scarfs and rosettes, before the commercial world of capitalism gained control of the working mans joy?

Edit to add - Jesus, I think I'm becoming a true far lefty lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 1:41 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:
No, it's not an auction.

Often thought the same myself. I have never understood why when a club changes its shirt it only makes small alterations. Why not have hoops one year, quarters the next, then stripes and then back to plain? I would be more inclined to buy one then.

Couldn't agree more, and a reason why the famous Mike Bickle band accross a white shirt was and is so popular.... I actually wore Johnny Hore's a few times when I played for the City schools team at a time when Argyle helped the schools out.... a bit small for me though Very Happy
Rugby followers are so lucky, they have shirts that put most English football atire to shame, although they seem to be going down the football route a bit too much these days. Faded old cotton, can't beat it .... and I don't mean Dot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 8:36 pm

GOB wrote:
Remember the days when it was just scarfs and rosettes, before the commercial world of capitalism gained control of the working mans joy?

Too bleddy true, mate. I was only trying to explain to a yoof the other day: there was no such thing a a replica shirt when I first started going up argo. Just a silky scarf round the wrist, or possibly through the side belt loop of your ridiculously wide oxford bags ... the ones with the pockets at knee level ... and the sun shone all through the summer holidays, and all the telly was black and white, and exams were exams ...
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Peggy wrote:
GOB wrote:

Too bleddy true, mate. I was only trying to explain to a yoof the other day: there was no such thing a a replica shirt when I first started going up argo. Just a silky scarf round the wrist, or possibly through the side belt loop of your ridiculously wide oxford bags ... the ones with the pockets at knee level ... and the sun shone all through the summer holidays, and all the telly was black and white, and exams were exams ...

Ah,them were the days! I still shed floods of nostalgic tears thinking about my Crombie with the red inside lining and top pocket hanky,me Ben Sherman and Penny round shirts,tank tops,Docs and Brogues,turned up Levi's or Lee Cooper's,my mate getting bitten on the arse by a police alsatian in 1973 when chasing Bristol Rovers fans behind the grandstand-do you think you could mention that incident in your programme article Peggy? Smile
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 9:04 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:
No, it's not an auction.

Couldn't agree more, and a reason why the famous Mike Bickle band accross a white shirt was and is so popular.... I actually wore Johnny Hore's a few times when I played for the City schools team at a time when Argyle helped the schools out.... a bit small for me though Very Happy
Rugby followers are so lucky, they have shirts that put most English football atire to shame, although they seem to be going down the football route a bit too much these days. Faded old cotton, can't beat it .... and I don't mean Dot.

Jeez,such delicious nostalgia.I've got both of those 1960's replica's-white with green band and green with white band.Wish they'd go back to them for a couple of seasons at least.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Admit it, who wore white socks then? clown
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 9:07 pm

GOB wrote:
Admit it, who wore white socks then? clown

Yep.And red ones.Just trying to think of other stuff that we used to wear-budgie jackets and denim jackets?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 9:12 pm

Greenskin wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:
No, it's not an auction.

Jeez,such delicious nostalgia.I've got both of those 1960's replica's-white with green band and green with white band.Wish they'd go back to them for a couple of seasons at least.

Was that a 60s shirt? I've been a fan longer then I thought, jeez!

My favorite shirt as well along with the green and black striped shirt.

Here's another...Stay Pres trousers and Arcade LP's!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 9:14 pm

What was the name of the train we had back in those days? 10pts for a correct answer!

The name of the song released by the team? 20pts!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 9:17 pm

GOB wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:
No, it's not an auction.

Was that a 60s shirt? I've been a fan longer then I thought, jeez!

My favorite shirt as well along with the green and black striped shirt.

Here's another...Stay Pres trousers and Arcade LP's!

The white shirt/green band was the one worn when i first started going in the mid 1960's and alternated with the green shirt/white band until the very early '70's,i think.Just before he died, i bought my dad a replica 1952 shirt-that was a pretty darned good bit of cloth as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 9:19 pm

My earliest Argyle memory is of Derek Rickard in that shirt.....I think!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 9:20 pm

GOB wrote:
What was the name of the train we had back in those days? 10pts for a correct answer!

The name of the song released by the team? 20pts!

a.Pilgrim express

b.Farewell Third Division

The song should have had a subtitle-[but only for two years because we've got a useless Board of directors].
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 9:24 pm

Maximum points GS....I think! lol!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Apologies for going off track and to anyone under the age of 50!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 9:38 pm

GOB wrote:
Maximum points GS....I think! lol!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Apologies for going off track and to anyone under the age of 50!

Bleddy old 'ell! Is that one of those LP's where it said "by the original artist" but ddn't sound very much like it? lol!

Yer's an original;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 10:04 pm

Blooooooooooooooooooooooody hell, I've not heard that for years, I don't know whether to smile, laugh or cry!

Brilliant and the band's still going! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

BTW, I have that LP..........still!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The best shirt in the world ?   The best shirt in the world ? Empty

Back to top Go down

The best shirt in the world ?
Page 1 of 1