zyph
Ken Adams
SwimWithTheTide
Dick Trickle
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Trickle

Danny Salman - The Season Empty
PostSubject: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Not far wrong I reckon....not convinced by Mr Sheridan.

@erald
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:56 pm

He always pipes up when Argyle drop in form, I don't remember hearing much from him when we were doing well. Will be interesting to hear what Shez has to say about his comments.
Back to top Go down
Ken Adams

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 10:48 pm

Pointless article. Shezza has worked miracles with the shite he has to work with. If only he had a bit of money to spend to bolster squad we would be play offs.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Ken Adams wrote:
Pointless article. Shezza has worked miracles with the shite he has to work with. If only he had a bit of money to spend to bolster squad we would be play offs.

In that case miracles have been downgraded in recent times......on paper this team is better than most for this division.....just moaned about by Sheridan too often... doesn't get the best out of players.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 11:18 pm

Most of the the players in our team can't actually make a pass with any regularity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 11:37 pm

A bit harsh but he does make plenty of salient points.

Straight talking, from a former pro. I'd take that over a bland Walrond effort, a sit on the fence Errington snooze fest or a pjongyang propaganda special from that wanker Cowdery.

Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 11:37 pm

zyph wrote:
Ken Adams wrote:

In that case miracles have been downgraded in recent times......on paper this team is better than most for this division.....just moaned about by Sheridan too often... doesn't get the best out of players.
I kinda see your point. For all the justifiable reasons to be angry about Brent, what gets ignored is that the vast majority of sides (spare one oe two a season) have shit budgets and thus only have to rely on cast-offs and loans. Your odd sides like Scunthorpe, Rotherham, Crawley, Fleetwood over the past few years are more exceptions than rules. Although I still think blaming Sheridan for only slightly missing out on the top seven this year is a bit harsh. It'd have been fantastic to go up but I think most of us would have taken top ten consolidation after just missing out. I would have anyway. But if we don't go up next season or at the very least miss out by a whisker then something is wrong. That's my take on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 1:59 am

Ken Adams wrote:

Shite like McCormick, Hourihane, Alessandra, Morgan and Reid? Do me a favour.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 3:20 am

ejh wrote:
Ken Adams wrote:

Swap Morgan with Nelson in that sentence (sorry but Morgan is shite, imo anyway) and I'd fully agree with you.
Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 5:35 am

Sheridan signed most of that 'shite'. I'd like a manager who signs players who are better than the players that are already here. I don't think our squad is any better than most of League 2. I've seen every other team (apart from Hartlepool), there aren't many sides that are worse than we are.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 9:17 am

zyph wrote:
Ken Adams wrote:

Struck me as rather odd that after Lewis was injured [which was unquestionably a major blow for the run in] that the only players that Sheridan was able to bring in were ones who weren't wanted at clubs who had spent most of the season languishing in the bottom four of the division.Wouldn't suggest to me that the club were exactly pushing the boat out,especially in comparison to someone like Scunthorpe [FFS] who spent £300k bringing Madden in to boost their promotion push.Sheridans moaning? Can't recall him being especially critical of the team throughout the season until the Accrington game and he was right,at that stage of the season it was criminal for Argyle not to be professionally ruthless enough to close out a game that was there for the taking.Managers like Warnock and Sturrock were known to absolutely slaughter players after bad perfomances-it must be a major character weakness in the squad [which is only partially Sheridan's anyway] if they allow a bit of stick from the manager to derail their subsequent results and performances to such a degree.Shez is probably a pussycat compared to this,apparently didn't derail Huddersfield though;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 9:41 am

Greenskin wrote:
zyph wrote:
Ken Adams wrote:

Struck me as rather odd that after Lewis was injured [which was unquestionably a major blow for the run in] that the only players that Sheridan was able to bring in were ones who weren't wanted at clubs who had spent most of the season languishing in the bottom four of the division.Wouldn't suggest to me that the club were exactly pushing the boat out,especially in comparison to someone like Scunthorpe [FFS] who spent £300k bringing Madden in to boost their promotion push.Sheridans moaning? Can't recall him being especially critical of the team throughout the season until the Accrington game and he was right,at that stage of the season it was criminal for Argyle not to be professionally ruthless enough to close out a game that was there for the taking.Managers like Warnock and Sturrock were known to absolutely slaughter players after bad perfomances-it must be a major character weakness in the squad [which is only partially Sheridan's anyway] if they allow a bit of stick from the manager to derail their subsequent results and performances to such a degree.Shez is probably a pussycat compared to this,apparently didn't derail Huddersfield though;

Slaughter in private maybe....but surely not in public before the media.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 10:06 am

zyph wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
zyph wrote:
Ken Adams wrote:

I was on the train which took all the players,management and staff as well as fans to Fulham when Warnock was manager and Argyle lost 4-0.Warnock made the players walk the entire length of the train in front of every fan on it as a form of apology,can't really get much more public humiliation than that.Sturrock certainly used to be critical of people,both on a team and individual basis,in public,can't really see what the fuss is about.Complete non issue,wouldn't even have been mentioned had Argyle had the bottle to hold on the leads against Accrington and Exeter,simplistic "he's lost the dressing room" shit.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 12:00 pm

Greenskin wrote:
zyph wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
zyph wrote:
Ken Adams wrote:

I was on the train which took all the players,management and staff as well as fans to Fulham when Warnock was manager and Argyle lost 4-0.Warnock made the players walk the entire length of the train in front of every fan on it as a form of apology,can't really get much more public humiliation than that.Sturrock certainly used to be critical of people,both on a team and individual basis,in public,can't really see what the fuss is about.Complete non issue,wouldn't even have been mentioned had Argyle had the bottle to hold on the leads against Accrington and Exeter,simplistic "he's lost the dressing room" shit.

This is how to deal with players, John Sitton is a legend  cheers 

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 12:05 pm

GreenSam wrote:
ejh wrote:
Ken Adams wrote:

Swap Morgan with Nelson in that sentence (sorry but Morgan is shite, imo anyway) and I'd fully agree with you.

My point is that Sheridan is hardly working 'miracles' here, the squad is not exactly conference standard.

Look at what Fletcher had to make do with in comparison, the likes of Feeney, Chadwick and Fireman Griffiths. The difference is Fletcher used the loan market resourcefully to make his side better, and I am not sure Sheridan has got near in that respect. Fletcher had barely any budget with Purse and Bhasera taking up most of the budget between them.

When you consider that Boco came here for a pay rise, Alessandra came here for a pay rise, Reid, Morgan and McCormick are League One standard players, we have Nelson and Hourihane developing into very capable senior professionals - Sheridan has hardly been hung out to dry and expected to turn water into wine. And what about Dominic Blizzard, League One playoff winner? Sheridan had his budget, he spent it.

You may not like Morgan but he was an exciting signing, League One calibre, senior professional, same for Blizzard, Reid - and I am sure if they showed you their wage packets it would reflect that. It is not the club's fault Sheridan's signings did not all have outstanding seasons.

The worst part is most are on two year deals - Blizzard, Morgan, Boco, Alessandra. Meanwhile Reid goes back to Yeovil in theory - or, gets to renegotiate his contract wherever he likes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 12:14 pm

I went to Tamworth v Hereford recently, incidentally - Chadwick came off the bench with 3 mins to go.

Can't even get a run for a Conference team that was relegated weeks ago.

There were 600 away fans there, and believe me that dwarfed the home attendance.

Blue Square North it is for him next season then.  Sad

To go from Everton and Argyle in the Championship to that must be soul destroying.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 12:32 pm

I'm always loathe to criticise managers for their signings despite the fact that their jobs and reputations hang on their success or otherwise. Every manager signs duff players at some stage and even SAF failed when he signed people like Djemba Djemba and, despite the fact that his CV was second to none, Juan Veron. Nobody gets them all right.

Our best example of managerial transfer success and failure was Paul Sturrock.

Sturrock MkI was going to build a team around Sean Evers at one stage. Yet Evers played a bare handful of times for us. On the other hand he got shot of many players and signed Friio, Evans, Norris, Capaldi, Keith, Coughlan, Larrieu... The list of legendary names is nearly endless.

Sturrock MkII signed players like Stockdale, Button, Cathcart, Chester, Bolassie, Puncheon (why did he almost never play for us?) and Noone who all went on to do well at PL level. He also signed others who were successful for us like BWP, Gallagher and Reda Johnson but is remembered rather more for signing Paterson, Clark, Milne and, the biggest howler of the lot, Mpenza. When you look back there's probably as many good ones as bad ones and yet that MkII spell is recalled as a disaster.

Perhaps the real story is more accurately told by who we didn't sign? The first choice targets who were "unable to agree terms" or "wanted to stay closer to their families" etc.

Obviously we're on far more dodgy ground here because there is almost nothing that can be regarded as actual fact and it's akin to trying to nail jelly to a wall but when, say, a RB is needed it's odds on that any manager has a list of preferred targets in order and says to the board "go get 'em". But when they don't how are we to tell whether the target was unreasonable to start with or that the board did not "back the manager"?

One thing is certain, as much as anything to do with this can be, and that's that the #1 choice is a better player than the #2 who is better than #3 and so on and that the club does the best it can to support the manager's opinion (and if it doen't do that it is employing the wrong manager) but by the time we're signing the #4s, #5s and #6s (can anybody believe that Clark, Lasley, Milne etc were ever any higher on the list than that?) we're not heading in the right direction.

Basically it not unlike buying spanners. You can buy the cheapest ones, and they look the same and fit OK to start with but after a while they bend, break, rust or just don't fit anymore or you buy the pricey ones which with a little TLC last a lifetime. Naturally everybody wants the pricey ones but not everyone can afford them.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 1:28 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
zyph wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
zyph wrote:
Ken Adams wrote:

This is how to deal with players, John Sitton is a legend   cheers 

total legend. cant imagine Wenger being like that
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Les Miserable wrote:

This is how to deal with players, John Sitton is a legend   cheers 

From Wiki: "Orient went on to lose the match 1–0, and after winning only one of the next 15 games, both Sitton and Turner were sacked two months later. Orient won just seven of 47 games under the pair. After the pair left, the side lost the following three games and finished bottom of the table."

He's now working as a taxi-driver. Truly a leg end.
Back to top Go down
Ken Adams

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 10:48 pm

[quote="ejh"]
Ken Adams wrote:

Shite like McCormick, Hourihane, Alessandra, Morgan and Reid? Do me a favour.[/quot you have named 5 players only...WTF.....5.... aint even half a side. Wake up. Including Morgan in that aswell....hes a bag of cr@p. deary me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Danny Salman - The Season   Danny Salman - The Season Empty

Back to top Go down

Danny Salman - The Season
Page 1 of 1