RegGreen
zyph
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
zyph

zyph

Portsmouth after Reuben Reid - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth after Reuben Reid   Portsmouth after Reuben Reid - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 7:52 pm

John Hawkins wrote:
Jeez Angry, you sound just like Brent. In fact, for all your talk, I reckon you would run the club just like him if you had half a chance.

Has anyone seen James Brent and "Angry" in the same room......sounds suspicious to me........ affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth after Reuben Reid   Portsmouth after Reuben Reid - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 8:03 pm

SwimWithTheTide wrote:
He don't want to go, so don't worry it.

for now nothing to say that wont change and change again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth after Reuben Reid   Portsmouth after Reuben Reid - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 8:12 pm

zyph wrote:
John Hawkins wrote:
Jeez Angry, you sound just like Brent. In fact, for all your talk, I reckon you would run the club just like him if you had half a chance.

Has anyone seen James Brent and "Angry" in the same room......sounds suspicious to me........ affraid

i've been in the argyle boardroom more times than brent over theyears popcorn popcorn
Back to top Go down
paranoidandroid123

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth after Reuben Reid   Portsmouth after Reuben Reid - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 10:21 pm

SwimWithTheTide wrote:
Let me start by saying I think the rumour is bollocks and I don't believe that Reuben would be sold. But, there's only 500k left on the creditors debt, I believe? Which is to be found from the income of 2000 tickets sold per match over the season. If Reubs, or any other prized player, was to be sold then the club would be stupid not to push for at least that half a mil price range. That money could wipe the debts and in turn open up the revenue of 2000 seats per match back into the budget. Reubs is our highest earner which is anticipated to be at around 2.5 to 3k pw. Half a million could help us bring in a few other players of that quality (assuming higher wages correlates with better players - not always, but more frequently). It wouldn't necessarily be a bad move.

Personally I think he's worth double that at least, today's footballing prices are mental and we should capitalise (if sales were to happen), rather than accepting fees based off similar sales a few decades back. Consecutive 20 goal a season hitters aren't common, we'd be a fool to get rid easily - but for the right price it could seriously help us. Only issue currently would be timing. This is really what we should have been thinking last season with the Conor sale, it should have been used to near enough clear our debts.

Good post. I would like to know that when we complete the payment of football creditor debt, will the same kind of payment strategy be continued to service the loan from Brent?

If we start well could the 'unbudgeted income' come from an extra 1000 or so ticket sales, which I would hope would turn into 3000-4000 if the previous promotion seasons are used as a basis. In no way am I expecting us to be promoted though.

300-400k would be a very good price for Reid and could be beneficial using the model you suggested, but would almost certainly not help us this season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth after Reuben Reid   Portsmouth after Reuben Reid - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 11:05 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Time to slap a new 2 year contract under his nose, I reckon.

Who is to say DA actually rates Reuben as his star striker?

Adams may have Jervis lined up as his starting forward, flanked either side by pace in Wylde and Tanner.

Reuben may actually find himself second fiddle and with a point to prove. What would that do to his mentality, I wonder?

All hypothetical of course, but still, it is not good business to extend the contract of your top earner for two years when the manager has new ideas and personnel on the go.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth after Reuben Reid   Portsmouth after Reuben Reid - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Angry wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:
Angry wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:
Reid's similar to Conor. Unless he goes for the right price then we can't replace, directly or indirectly, and it'll cost more over the season than the inadequate fee received just cos we're weeing ourselves over him leaving on a free when the summer's up.

In short, would we have gone up last season if we kept Conor? There's no guarantee, but I have no doubts in my mind that we would. Is that worth more or less than receiving 200k rather than going up and then allowing him free reign in the window?

With this current squad I believe Reid is the difference between bottom half and potential promotion. Simple decision for me, anything less than a debt clearing amount (500k) ain't worth considering and it's worth the gamble of having him play and trying to attain the better figure from a promotion.

and what part of he is in his last year of his contract is confusing here? would any club pay full whack for a player like reid when they know he will be free come june 1st? not many unless they wanted him right now certainly wont pay it in january. I'd rather get something than be stubborn and get nothing providing he states he wants to go by jan.

hourihane was sold far too cheaply in the summer where we should have asked for more an seeing as most went to ipswich and the cva and barely any went to sheridan's budget but that is brent for ya.

No confusion angry, I just see potential promotion as more valuable than an insufficient sum. If the figure ain't right then bollocks to them, we'll have him play instead - It's a gamble, but it's a gamble worth taking if we're to learn anything from the Hourihane feck up.

THere is no gamble here if he doesnt want to stay he can go asap if he does great sign the deal and score the goals. Leaving for nothing come May is not good buisness at all.

Surely though it all depends on where Argyle are in the league and what Reid has contributed up to that point? For arguments sake, lets imagine Argyle are in third position on December 31st and Reid has scored 15 goals up to that point. To my way of thinking any sale of your best asset at that stage of the season would be an utter long term folly, as it was when Hourihane was sold and indeed when Norris, Gosling, Buzz etc were flogged off when Argyle were in a position to really cement their status and push on even further in 2007.For sure there are all sorts of possible scenario's and of course there aren't any guarantees that if you keep your best players that success will automatically follow but bitter Argyle experience has proved that selling good players is not the way forward-was the £200k received for Hourihane really that good when put in the context of the possible rewards that may have followed via a promotion? Totally agree with Powelly on this one.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth after Reuben Reid   Portsmouth after Reuben Reid - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 2:16 pm

No one player is bigger than any club..if they think they are then they need to be jogged on..causes disharmony in the dressing room for start
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth after Reuben Reid   Portsmouth after Reuben Reid - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 2:22 pm

RegGreen wrote:
No one player is bigger than any club..if they think they are then they need to be jogged on..causes disharmony in the dressing room for start

Very true.

Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth after Reuben Reid   Portsmouth after Reuben Reid - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Freathy wrote:
zyph wrote:
PAFC should show some backbone and say NO SALE.....back your manager Mr Brent to get us out of this basement league.

Laughing

How long have you been following Argo LOL!

Reid should be considered gone

laugh At least the club now has what would appear to be a decent manager. If only the same could be said of the owner. It'll either end in tears, or the reluctant one will be able to cash in, on the back of a resurgence in on field performance.
Either way, the sooner he and his jamboys are gone, the better.................and you and I might be able to attend, once again.

I actually went once last season v Tranmere. How we won I'll never know. Tranmere were by far the better team by miles and should have hammered us out of sight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth after Reuben Reid   Portsmouth after Reuben Reid - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Freathy wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Freathy wrote:
zyph wrote:
PAFC should show some backbone and say NO SALE.....back your manager Mr Brent to get us out of this basement league.

Laughing

laugh At least the club now has what would appear to be a decent manager. If only the same could be said of the owner. It'll either end in tears, or the reluctant one will be able to cash in, on the back of a resurgence in on field performance.
Either way, the sooner he and his jamboys are gone, the better.................and you and I might be able to attend, once again.

I actually went once last season v Tranmere.  How we won I'll never know.  Tranmere were by far the better team by miles and should have hammered us out of sight.

geddon Freathy jocolor geek jocolor just admit your a Aviva'd rite up
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth after Reuben Reid   Portsmouth after Reuben Reid - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 8:51 am

Freathy wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Freathy wrote:
zyph wrote:

Laughing

I actually went once last season v Tranmere.  How we won I'll never know.  Tranmere were by far the better team by miles and should have hammered us out of sight.

That's an easy one to answer, we scored more than them and that's what counts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth after Reuben Reid   Portsmouth after Reuben Reid - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Portsmouth after Reuben Reid
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3