Go down 
+2
Earwegoagain
Tgwu
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Tavistock to Plymouth railway Empty
PostSubject: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyThu Jun 17, 2021 7:46 am

Devon County Council has put forward the bid to reinstate the disused rail line between Tavistock and Bere Alston to provide hourly rail services through to Plymouth

A funding bid to develop a business case for re-opening the railway between Tavistock and Plymouth has been submitted by Devon County Council.

The authority is bidding for a grant from the Ideas Fund of the Restoring Your Railway programme, with the funding, if successful, used to produce a Strategic Outline Business Case and update extensive survey work already undertaken on the route.

The project will aim to reinstate the disused rail line between Tavistock and Bere Alston, providing hourly rail services through to Plymouth, as well as opening a new single platform railway station at Tavistock next to the 750 dwelling development under construction.

Two-hourly services between Plymouth and Gunnislake would be maintained.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyThu Jun 17, 2021 8:07 am

good about time too. plympton is another town that would benefit from having a station again
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyThu Jun 17, 2021 8:13 am

I read in the the Tavvy Times recently that there were plans to tunnel under Tavistock when they re open the Tavistock to Meldon section which sounds like fockin madness to me.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyThu Jun 17, 2021 5:19 pm

Why did Keir Starmer shut all these lines down in the first place?
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyThu Jun 17, 2021 5:51 pm

seadog wrote:

This....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyThu Jun 17, 2021 6:52 pm

seadog wrote:

I thought boris shut them all down before he was forced to resign?
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyThu Jun 17, 2021 7:37 pm

He never resigned, he was sacked for lying from all his previous employments.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyThu Jun 17, 2021 8:20 pm

FFS!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyThu Jun 17, 2021 9:30 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
I read in the the Tavvy Times recently that there were plans to tunnel under Tavistock when they re open the Tavistock to Meldon section which sounds like fockin madness to me.

It’ll never happen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyThu Jun 17, 2021 9:34 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
seadog wrote:

This....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Maybe a joke but it was the Labour Party in 1964 that promised to reverse the proposed cuts, got elected and promptly cracked on with the cuts some of which were controversial
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 10:34 am

Graiser wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

It’ll never happen

Correct my youngest bhey who works in construction says that he had a look at their book of costs and last year tunnelling through hard rock comes in at about a billion pounds per mile! I really don't know what deluded twat came up with that one? I don't think there are more than six houses built on the line and all of them had a clause built into planning conditions that they would have to accept compulsory purchase if the line was ever reopened.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 10:54 am

seadog wrote:
He never resigned, he was sacked for lying from all his previous employments.

lol you'll never educate his fan boys on here
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 12:44 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

It’ll never happen

Correct my youngest bhey who works in construction says that he had a look at their book of costs and last year tunnelling through hard rock comes in at about a billion pounds per mile! I really don't know what deluded twat came up with that one? I don't think there are more than six houses built on the line and all of them had a clause built into planning conditions that they would have to accept compulsory purchase if the line was ever reopened.

Cheaper than a tunnel to Northern Ireland then, lol.

Customs post opened this week in Larne and Cairn Ryan for outgoing traffic, sausage checking X ray machines, lol. lol, lol.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 3:34 pm

seadog wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

It’ll never happen

Cheaper than a tunnel to Northern Ireland then, lol.

Customs post opened this week in Larne and Cairn Ryan for outgoing traffic, sausage checking X ray machines, lol. lol, lol.

Simple answer would be a united Ireland but people are sadly more into divisions these days. Lol. Anyway this isn't the pro EU bollocks thread.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 3:43 pm

Unlikely that any old lines will be reinstated, especially this one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 4:23 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

It’ll never happen

Don’t know about billion pounds per mile for tunnelling but if it’s right it’s a non starter, personally the business case for reopening Tavy to Meldon doesn’t stack up, but if it ever did come to fruition why wouldn’t any company utilise the current alignment which is already engineered and tart up the structures although Meldon viaduct could be problematic
With the investment ongoing at Dawlish and Okehampton to Crediton and potentially Tavy to Bere Alston what would be the motivation for reopening through that wilderness other than it’ll be nice to have.
If I was the owner of the lovely former stations at Brentor and Bridestowe I’d be right pissed off if that happened
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 5:18 pm

Graiser wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

It’ll never happen

Don’t know about billion pounds per mile for tunnelling but if it’s right it’s a non starter, personally the business case for reopening Tavy to Meldon doesn’t stack up, but if it ever did come to fruition why wouldn’t any company utilise the current alignment which is already engineered and tart up the structures although Meldon  viaduct could be problematic
With the investment ongoing at Dawlish and Okehampton to Crediton and potentially Tavy to Bere Alston what would be the motivation for reopening through that wilderness other than it’ll be nice to have.
If I was the owner of the lovely former stations at Brentor and Bridestowe I’d  be right pissed off if that happened

There is a greater need for it, Plymouth Tavistock Okehampton, than most people realise, they are building thousands upon thousands of houses down here yet our roads were being overwhelmed ten years ago, it would bring so much money down here we can't just invest in infrastructure for the North and South. Not preaching at you I'm sure our views are similar in this respect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 5:41 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

It’ll never happen

Don’t know about billion pounds per mile for tunnelling but if it’s right it’s a non starter, personally the business case for reopening Tavy to Meldon doesn’t stack up, but if it ever did come to fruition why wouldn’t any company utilise the current alignment which is already engineered and tart up the structures although Meldon  viaduct could be problematic
If I was the owner of the lovely former stations at Brentor and Bridestowe I’d  be right pissed off if that happened

There is a greater need for it, Plymouth Tavistock Okehampton, than most people realise, they are building thousands upon thousands of houses down here yet our roads were being overwhelmed ten years ago, it would bring so much money down here we can't just invest in infrastructure for the North and South. Not preaching at you I'm sure our views are similar in this respect.

Purely for nostalgic reasons I would love to see the whole route reopened if only for my dear old uncle who had 47 years railway service and was crestfallen when it closed, wonderful childhood memories of visiting him and my Auntie in their railway house at Highland View
Also for my mums sake, she worked in Okehampton buffet and then the track gang during the war and she also was devastated when it closed.
About 10 years ago I produced an estimate to lay the track from Bere Alston to Tavy assuming a formation and all structures prepared by others, I think it came to circa 10 million if I remember correctly, probably about 5 or 6 times higher now.
Bit of useless information but the old Tavistock North Station footbridge is at the Plym Valley Railway, not erected but hopefully in the years to come we’ll see it in use again

Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 6:00 pm

A tunnel under Tavistock! lol! lol! Couldn't believe my eyes when i saw that was a serious proposal-it's taken two years to get the guildhall car park three quarters finished,let alone build a tunnel. Pie in the sky nonsense which does the credibility of the reopening idea no good at all. The whole issue fecking winds me up-planning permission was granted in 2008 and there were all sorts of studies and analysis done at the time, now apparently square one has been reached again in needing money to form yet another business case. In the meantime the cost of the reopening has gone up from £18m to £94m [ What a Face ]at the last count with the developer refusing any responsibility for paying towards the project. Incompetent, greed driven and useless buffoons the lot of 'em- from Beeching and Castle through the WDBC cretins who allowed houses and offices to be built on the formation around Tavistock station through to the incumbents of the last 10 years who have royally fecked things up [a cynic may say that the whole thing was a sweetener to get the 750 houses built, which incidentally is currently causing gridlock in the town and surrounds] to the extent where it's difficult to see any way in which an excellent transport corridor will ever be reinstated.

Makes my piss boil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock to Plymouth railway   Tavistock to Plymouth railway Empty

Back to top Go down

Tavistock to Plymouth railway
Page 1 of 1