mouldyoldgoat
Grace Less
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 10:26 pm

Angry wrote:
well i guess it congrats to the greeks for joining us in league one....

and the gods smile on you with forest greens result as the title is there to grab aswell! that might make rickler seeth lol

Fingernails took quite a battering until the final whistle. Thanks to you and messrs VG & E for the response.

Still nothing from Suffy and Rickler (chuckle)

Hopefully the Turks can put something together next year.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 11:07 pm

Well done City!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2022 7:58 am

Fair play after just missing out over the past 5/6 years
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2022 2:05 pm

Enjoy the 12 month foray etc etc.

I’m quite glad my formative years consisted of relatively few games against them....only when we were in a Div3 trough, and they were having a Halcyon Div3 peak. I do completely get why they hate us though.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2022 2:27 pm

its going to be interesting to see how the cope in league one and if they actually generate any money that doesnt involve them selling a YTS player to keep them a float.

They should attract some of their glory supporting fans back from sandy park next season i guess especially for their game here that is such a big occasion they send the weirdest bunch ever to eat horse shit of the floor on camera (true story it made the papers lol).
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2022 3:05 pm

Angry wrote:
its going to be interesting to see how the cope in league one and if they actually generate any money that doesnt involve them selling a YTS player to keep them a float.

They should attract some of their glory supporting fans back from sandy park next season i guess especially for their game here that is such a big occasion they send the weirdest bunch ever to eat horse shit of the floor on camera  (true story it made the papers lol).

Tbf if Chiefs glory days are past then Albion may well get several fans back. I know lots of people I used to see at Albion including a few fringe players that have talked about Chiefs using the "us and we" pronouns since winning the prem title. Fickle feckers.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2022 4:35 pm

Czarcasm wrote:

I’m quite glad my formative years consisted of relatively few games against them....only when we were in a Div3 trough, and they were having a Halcyon Div3 peak. I do completely get why they hate us though.

I never really learnt to hate Argyle or the Turks Mr C. Back in 1965/67 while still a young squaddie serving in or near the Sarawak/Borneo jungle, we were often given the overseas Daily Sketch (resembled a larger yellow pages) and I often checked out the Devon teams. I suppose the ill feeling kicked off in the early seventies and then social media probably added to it. I must admit to enjoy 'needling' Turk's Dave and your Porcus Maximus when they ventured on Exeweb Banter Base. Nothing highly personal though. Smile
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2022 5:33 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:

They should attract some of their glory supporting fans back from sandy park next season i guess especially for their game here that is such a big occasion they send the weirdest bunch ever to eat horse shit of the floor on camera  (true story it made the papers lol).

Tbf if Chiefs glory days are past then Albion may well get several fans back. I know lots of people I used to see at Albion including a few fringe players that have talked about Chiefs using the "us and we" pronouns since winning the prem title. Fickle feckers.

i think they will still put tbh even if Chiefs go through a rebuild phrase, its not like Albion are pulling up trees atm to move back into the championship. The Venables family have taken the club backwards since they took over and fire Graham Dawe on their first day after he built a good young squad who would have gone up the following season. Never recovered from that in my eyes
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2022 2:11 pm

Angry wrote:

i think they will still put tbh even if Chiefs go through a rebuild phrase, its not like Albion are pulling up trees atm to move back into the championship. The Venables family have taken the club backwards since they took over and fire Graham Dawe on their first day after he built a good young squad who would have gone up the following season. Never recovered from that in my eyes[/quote]

Perhaps this should be on the 'Exeter Chiefs' thread rather than the Exeter Rele...er Promotion thread Wink

To fully understand the rise of the Chiefs I recommend this book by Guardian (that should interest some on ATD) rugby reporter Robert Kitson...

https://www.waterstones.com/book/exe-men/rob-kitson/9781913538712

The Chiefs would not have got anywhere without CEO Tony Rowe OBE who, when asked, told them they'd get nowhere on gate receipts and booze takings. It was Rowe who brought about the sale of the Country Ground and the purchase of Sandy Park and it's subsequent development. All Albion need is someone like Rowe to grasp the nettle. I think Brickfields Stadium would easily pass the Premier Rugby criteria.

A successful Plymouth Albion would certainly attract more local/Cornish fans - everyone likes to back a winner. However, whether such fans of ten years or more would suddenly ditch the Chiefs for another team is debatable - ironically the 'Exeter Chiefs Forum is moderated by a certain Plymptonchief. I wonder if he plays golf Smile

Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2022 3:38 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:

i think they will still put tbh even if Chiefs go through a rebuild phrase, its not like Albion are pulling up trees atm to move back into the championship. The Venables family have taken the club backwards since they took over and fire Graham Dawe on their first day after he built a good young squad who would have gone up the following season. Never recovered from that in my eyes

Perhaps this should be on the 'Exeter Chiefs' thread rather than the Exeter Rele...er Promotion thread Wink

To fully understand the rise of the Chiefs I recommend this book by Guardian (that should interest some on ATD) rugby reporter Robert Kitson...

The Chiefs would not have got anywhere without CEO Tony Rowe OBE who, when asked, told them they'd get nowhere on gate receipts and booze takings. It was Rowe who brought about the sale of the Country Ground and the purchase of Sandy Park and it's subsequent development. All Albion need is someone like Rowe to grasp the nettle. I think Brickfields Stadium would easily pass the Premier Rugby criteria.

A successful Plymouth Albion would certainly attract more local/Cornish fans - everyone likes to back a winner.  However, whether such fans of ten years or more would suddenly ditch the Chiefs for another team is debatable - ironically the 'Exeter Chiefs Forum is moderated by a certain Plymptonchief.  I wonder if he plays golf  Smile

[/quote]

Not surprised in the least, he loves a posh botty as much as a winning team and has the morals of an alley cat.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2022 4:55 pm

Quote :
Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:

A successful Plymouth Albion would certainly attract more local/Cornish fans - everyone likes to back a winner.  However, whether such fans of ten years or more would suddenly ditch the Chiefs for another team is debatable - ironically the 'Exeter Chiefs Forum is moderated by a certain Plymptonchief.  I wonder if he plays golf  Smile

Many moons ago when i lived in Exmouth i played a few times for Exeter Rugby youth along side Exmouth, i left when i moved back here due to my dads work they just became the chiefs.  I do like the chiefs i have to admit and i do admire what Tony Rowe has done with a club like Exeter who were laying catch up to Albion at one point moving the club to sandy park was a stroke of genius as look at what they have unlocked since money wise. Its not hard to understand why the reluctant shyster wanted to be him when he sadly owned us unfortunately he fell short as he would have had to put money into the club.

They have the tools to maintain success on the home and European front for many years to come but when it comes to the squad right now i did say this in the 6 nations thread the team is starting to approach the point where Rob Baxter is going to have to start looking to break up the core and usher in the new blood over the next few seasons so they can avoid a drop in form and league placings and not be forced into doing it in one go. As for Plympton chief i might know who that is as there is a car where i walk my dog that's decked out in chief merch of course hes going to have a job changing it all over the summer lol.  

As for Albion i like to go watch them and support them but its very to go  to games when most of the time they play t home when argyle do which ive never understood why they dont put in requests to avoid too many clashes like other cities and towns who have teams playing on saturday. Albion has alot of potential but they will never be the chiefs and the owners need to accept that but that's not a bad thing but at the moment the club is a ghost in the city cause nothing is being done by them to promote the club and keep fans in the loop they have been shit with this for years so unless your in the know you will know nothing not even when they are playing even in this social media world of ours. On top fof the team playing poorly and the owners cant understand if they dont promote the club and back a head coach to recruit well its no shock attendances dont go up unless its for the st lukes mens day out fundraiser.

If they get their act together they can be a strongly supported championship side that flirts with the promotion spot and that would suit Albion to a tee, Brickfields was bought with the premiership in mind and to this day they still haven't finished building it fully but it can meet criteria with capacity.
As much as i would like to see them like Argyle reach the promise land one day its never going to happen unless someone with serious money comes along and invest in their playing squad so they overcome the same 2 teams changing leagues every season and break into the premiership. But to be honest its only a matter of time before the RFU makes the Premiership into a super league esq league where teams dont get relegated.
Back to top Go down
Clodagh Rubbish

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2022 5:18 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

I never really learnt to hate Argyle or the Turks Mr C. Back in 1965/67 while still a young squaddie serving in or near the Sarawak/Borneo jungle, we were often given the overseas Daily Sketch (resembled a larger yellow pages) and I often checked out the Devon teams. I suppose the ill feeling kicked off in the early seventies and then social media probably added to it. I must admit to enjoy 'needling' Turk's Dave and your Porcus Maximus when they ventured on Exeweb Banter Base. Nothing highly personal though. Smile

The rivalry, at least as a mutual thing didn't kick off until the early 90's. The main trigger seemed to be "That" Home Defeat with Alan Balls touchline antics along with the taking of the Cowshed the following season. Up until then Exeter were seen as pretty insignificant in comparison to the likes of Bristol Rovers and Portsmouth who we played regularly

Other than the odd cup game, once the Football did away with the regional leagues and created a Division 4, we simply didn't play the Greeks on a regular basis until the late 70's when we were on something of a slump and Exeter were undergoing one of their better periods.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2022 11:41 am

Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

The rivalry, at least as a mutual thing didn't kick off until the early 90's. The main trigger seemed to be "That" Home Defeat with Alan Balls touchline antics along with the taking of the Cowshed the following season. Up until then Exeter were seen as pretty insignificant in comparison to the likes of Bristol Rovers and Portsmouth who we played regularly

Other than the odd cup game,  once the Football did away with the regional leagues and created a Division 4,  we simply didn't play the Greeks on a regular basis until the late 70's when we were on something of a slump and Exeter were undergoing one of their better periods.

I remember literally fighting our way out of St David's to get to the game then the same on the way back in the late seventies early eighties.
Back to top Go down
Clodagh Rubbish

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2022 12:59 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

Other than the odd cup game,  once the Football did away with the regional leagues and created a Division 4,  we simply didn't play the Greeks on a regular basis until the late 70's when we were on something of a slump and Exeter were undergoing one of their better periods.

I remember literally fighting our way out of St David's to get to the game then the same on the way back in the late seventies early eighties.

That was a fairly standard away day back then though and certainly no worse you would have got trying to escape down the Gloucester Road.

I don't remember particularly hating Exeter and felt that Bristol rovers or Pompey were more grudge matches.

Last edited by Clodagh Rubbish on Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2022 1:07 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

I used to live in the St David's area of Exeter right up until I left for the far east in 1965. It took a taxi driver to deliver me to their new address just before Xmas 1967. For those arriving at St David's Station for a Chiefs game at Sandy Park, there's a bus stop that take's you to the ground about 35yds to the left as you leave by the main Entrance. Plenty of buses to return you to the station after the game.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2022 3:01 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

I used to live in the St David's area of Exeter right up until I left for the far east in 1965. It took a taxi driver to deliver me to their new address just before Xmas 1967. For those arriving at St David's Station for a Chiefs game at Sandy Park, there's a bus stop that take's you to the ground about 35yds to the left as you leave by the main Entrance. Plenty of buses to return you to the station after the game.

or you can get the train to digby and sowton and walk 5 mins like i did on christmas eve.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2022 3:46 pm

Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

or you can get the train to digby and sowton and walk 5 mins like i did on christmas eve.

As I've done before. However, it's a long and narrow path from the station for my old legs. Much prefer to sink a few tinnies in the Imperial ('spoons)and stagger back down the slop to the bus stop.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2022 9:09 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

As I've done before. However, it's a long and narrow path from the station for my old legs. Much prefer to sink a few tinnies in the Imperial ('spoons)and stagger back down the slop to the bus stop.

i got confused as it was the first time getting there on the train and instead of turning left and walking i went across the bridge and the long way round making it 30 mins lol
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2022 9:37 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
Hugh Midde wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

There definitely was hatred in the air at those matches in the late seventies and early eighties. True, prior to our relegation in 1977 the clubs hadn't met for years and Argyle fans didn't really take much notice of them [in fact, Torquay were the main Devon rivals for a while] but seem to remember a load of their fans celebrating our demise on local tv which raised a few hackles and started the shenanigans which followed. For sure Rovers and Pompey were also spicy affairs but the Exeter games certainly rivalled them-did they not turn over a pub pretty badly in Devonport, the Valletort i think?
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 5:37 pm

Hugh Midde wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
.... if they mess it up now not only would it be hilarious but surely their manager will be moved on for failing again to take a city team up.

It certainly would be hilarious if ECFC screwed it up. Forest Green Rovers should win that league with the games in hand they have.

FGR once had a healthy 14 point lead over City that has now been reduced to just 4 with six games left. After only scrambling a 1 - 1 draw at home to Hartlepool, perhaps cracks are beginning to show. They might be there for the taking.

Eat your hearts out Suffy/Rickler as old Hugh must be ATD's No1 forecaster Basketball

High fives all round then..................................... oh! Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 5:40 pm

how is league one concluded yet championship and league two havent :S

Back to top Go down
Sturtz

Sturtz

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptySun May 01, 2022 9:27 pm

Hi chums! Great to see both our teams avoiding the play offs this season. Look forward to playing you again next season, a chance for greenies to put that last 4:0 defeat behind them perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyMon May 02, 2022 8:40 am

Hugh Midde wrote:
What would be hilarious would be if certain Argyle players suddenly become worried that promotion might see them surplus to next year's lineup and therefore suffered a 'drop' in form. Also, your position in the playoffs are less than clear-cut what with your competitors enjoying games in hand.

Looks like ol' Hugh got it right again - you greenies should be paying me for info I'm handing out.

At a price I could be tempted to supply some winning lotto numbers Very Happy

Has anyone in authority within the ATD set-up issued an 'all points bulletin' regarding the whereabouts of Suffy and Rickler? I'm growing very concerned at their continued absence. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyMon May 02, 2022 9:25 am

Sturtz wrote:
Hi chums! Great to see both our teams avoiding the play offs this season. Look forward to playing you again next season, a chance for greenies to put that last 4:0 defeat behind them perhaps?

Lol elderly exeter uber nerd Spurtz, getting all excited because the shit club with shit support playing at a shit ground with a bus shelter away end, get promoted for the first time in twenty years yay! jocolor jocolor lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 EmptyMon May 02, 2022 10:22 am

Both teams avoiding the playoffs, proper lolz to that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season   Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Exeter Relegation Thread 2021-2 Season
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next