Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.

Go down 
+10
RegGreen
Czarcasm
VillageGreen
sufferedsince 68
Freathy
Les Miserable
Jethro
Angry
Earwegoagain
Grovehill
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 1:41 pm

Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
With the 5th best defensive record suggests the defence as a whole had a good season, However Gillesphey doesn’t inspire me and I wouldn’t shed a tear if he moved on, another recognised LWB, goal scoring midfielder and a striker, as unless Jephcott markedly ups his game he can go out on loan somewhere

jephcott needs a serious kick in the arse over the summer or shown the door imo.

I largely agree with both of you squad wise all I would add is we have plenty of defenders what we need is better ones, Edwards is a great defender but Pan is great going forwards he shouldn't be having to track all the way into the box covering for Wilson and Gillespy. I know Schuey has coached us into the one of the best defensive records in the league but I fear it's at the expense of goals as too many attacking players are trying to make sure we don't ship goals. Wilson is too inconsistent he should go, agree with Jeppers as well I just worry if we get rid he will turn it on like he did a while back.

unless whoever did buy Jephcott actually got tough with him to get fitter, stronger and worked on his shooting and he does that then i dont see him setting the word alight like many thought he would when he had that purple Patch.

i generally feel he isnt interested in working to improve his game

Do you think Schuey would pick him if he wasn't working flat out?

if Either of them were in form Jephcott wouldnt have played as much given his form and pisspoor attitude on the pitch when it comes to effort.

Either of who? I guess you are talking about either Hardie, Enniss or Garrick and you are correct that if any of them were scoring in every match he obviously wouldn't pick Jeppers. From what I saw of Jeppers this season his effort couldn't be faulted I think his build takes after Evans more than Scott Sinclair (what would give now for another Sinclair?) But that's genetics not effort.

i wiped the top part of my reply by mistake before posting but its been corrected now..

Jephcott is no Evans ears im sorry, Evans was a unquie in the sense he had no buisness being a footballer but he could bring others into the game and create chances for others to take hence why he had the career he did and why Ireland gave him a cap. Jephcott doesnt do that if he did i could understand what he brings to the team atm but all im seeing is someoine who cant run only jog, unable to shoot from futher than the 5 yard lineand cant last a full game.

I think Garrick might have been interesting had he played in his preferred wide attacker role, certainly his initial starts in the side were at WB.

Felt he was a bit wasted as often he'd receive the ball with his back to goal whereas in theory Jeppers would be the best doing that. However usually he ends up on his arse or the ball bounces off him and he gets subbed on the hour a couple of times not coming out 2nd half.

I think he's the best finisher at the club just the all round game is lacking as just being able to stick the ball in the onion bag isn't enough these days.

I am aware of Evans abilities I probably saw ninety nine per cent of the games he played for us back in the day but he kind of makes my point regarding Jephcott in the regards to physique which was the point I was making as you were well aware. Schuey knows who is fit and who isn't but the bottom line is that there is no potential thirty goal striker at the club he is keeping on the sidelines, Broom has been injured and he isn't ours and Hardie has been struggling for a while, Ennis and Garrick are no better than Jeppers and who does that leave?
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 2:56 pm

Some of Lowe's signings like Telford Aimson and G Cooper do make you wonder just how thorough the research into them was. All three had ongoing injury/fitness problems, Macfazdean couldn't wait to feck off and Ruddy's signing was totally pointless.

Certainly looks like being a pal of Lowe was a shortcut to a Contract.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 3:02 pm

I think you may find that Mickey Evans had a serious ankle injury at Bristol Rovers-which is why we got him on the cheap. Whatever the reason, the Mickey Evans who came back wasn't the Mickey Evans who left.

I can remember him when he broke into the team as a youngster-he was a lot more mobile and didn't play as a target man. Sturrock made the best use of him that he could.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 3:32 pm

I think jephers gets a raw deal off some sections of the fanbase, he's still young, is undoubtedly a natural finisher, his effort is as good as any of our strikers(I've made a point of watching his movement off the ball) and has scored his fair share ie goals to minutes played. An easy target in a world of blame, his somewhat portly appearance may be a factor.
Back to top Go down
Clodagh Rubbish

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 3:38 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
I think jephers gets a raw deal off some sections of the fanbase, he's still young, is undoubtedly a natural finisher, his effort is as good as any of our strikers(I've made a point of watching his movement off the ball) and has scored his fair share ie goals to minutes played. An easy target in a world of blame, his somewhat portly appearance may be a factor.

I agree with this, as an example look at his goal against Doncaster, that's gambling on where the ball is going and pittign the right touch on it. That's pure instinct, may be the all round game may come with a bit of experience
Back to top Go down
Clodagh Rubbish

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 3:39 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
With the 5th best defensive record suggests the defence as a whole had a good season, However Gillesphey doesn’t inspire me and I wouldn’t shed a tear if he moved on, another recognised LWB, goal scoring midfielder and a striker, as unless Jephcott markedly ups his game he can go out on loan somewhere

jephcott needs a serious kick in the arse over the summer or shown the door imo.

I largely agree with both of you squad wise all I would add is we have plenty of defenders what we need is better ones, Edwards is a great defender but Pan is great going forwards he shouldn't be having to track all the way into the box covering for Wilson and Gillespy. I know Schuey has coached us into the one of the best defensive records in the league but I fear it's at the expense of goals as too many attacking players are trying to make sure we don't ship goals. Wilson is too inconsistent he should go, agree with Jeppers as well I just worry if we get rid he will turn it on like he did a while back.

unless whoever did buy Jephcott actually got tough with him to get fitter, stronger and worked on his shooting and he does that then i dont see him setting the word alight like many thought he would when he had that purple Patch.

if Either of them were in form Jephcott wouldnt have played as much given his form and pisspoor attitude on the pitch when it comes to effort.

Either of who? I guess you are talking about either Hardie, Enniss or Garrick and you are correct that if any of them were scoring in every match he obviously wouldn't pick Jeppers. From what I saw of Jeppers this season his effort couldn't be faulted I think his build takes after Evans more than Scott Sinclair (what would give now for another Sinclair?) But that's genetics not effort.

i wiped the top part of my reply by mistake before posting but its been corrected now..

Jephcott is no Evans ears im sorry, Evans was a unquie in the sense he had no buisness being a footballer but he could bring others into the game and create chances for others to take hence why he had the career he did and why Ireland gave him a cap. Jephcott doesnt do that if he did i could understand what he brings to the team atm but all im seeing is someoine who cant run only jog, unable to shoot from futher than the 5 yard lineand cant last a full game.

I think Garrick might have been interesting had he played in his preferred wide attacker role, certainly his initial starts in the side were at WB.

Felt he was a bit wasted as often he'd receive the ball with his back to goal whereas in theory Jeppers would be the best doing that. However usually he ends up on his arse or the ball bounces off him and he gets subbed on the hour a couple of times not coming out 2nd half.

I think he's the best finisher at the club just the all round game is lacking as just being able to stick the ball in the onion bag isn't enough these days.

I am aware of Evans abilities I probably saw ninety nine per cent of the games he played for us back in the day but he kind of makes my point regarding Jephcott in the regards to physique which was the point I was making as you were well aware. Schuey knows who is fit and who isn't but the bottom line is that there is no potential thirty goal striker at the club he is keeping on the sidelines, Broom has been injured and he isn't ours and Hardie has been struggling for a while, Ennis and Garrick are no better than Jeppers and who does that leave?

Broom has neither been injured nor is a striker?
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 4:48 pm

Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:

Broom has neither been injured nor is a striker?

May not be a striker but I was talking about goal scorers being kept out of the squad by Jeppers, Broom did score quite a few back along then faded out of the team I presumed he had a knock or wasn't up to speed. My point still stands though that Jeppers wasn't keeping anyone better out of the team.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 4:51 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Some of Lowe's signings like Telford Aimson and G Cooper do make you wonder just how thorough the research into them was. All three had ongoing injury/fitness problems,  Macfazdean couldn't wait to feck off and Ruddy's signing was totally pointless.

Well there's five players mentioned there who were feckin useless I'd rather pay one Pan what he wants rather than the rack em and stack'em policy used by Lowe. The 2020/21 defence being a case in point.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 6:24 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Some of Lowe's signings like Telford Aimson and G Cooper do make you wonder just how thorough the research into them was. All three had ongoing injury/fitness problems,  Macfazdean couldn't wait to feck off and Ruddy's signing was totally pointless.

Well there's five players mentioned there who were feckin useless I'd rather pay one Pan what he wants rather than the rack em and stack'em policy used by Lowe. The 2020/21 defence being a case in point.

But we have gone from one of the worst to one of the best defences in the Division. And that's simply because the recruitment has been better.

It's noteworthy that the only defender signed on a "recommendation by a mate" (Gillesphy by Robbie Fowler) was the least impressive.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 6:27 pm

Les Miserable wrote:

I think we are in an age where every pro-footballer is largely looked upon as needing to be an ‘athlete’. There are many clear exceptions to this rule, with Jephcott being a prime example.  

We have fitness coaches, dieticians, nutritionists all being employed by clubs even at our level.....but none of these will turn some people into ‘athletes’ if they simply do not have the natural physical attributes and capability to attain that level of physical excellence. That is no slur on Jephcott. He simply isn’t, and never will be an athlete. But neither was Tynan. Now I’m not for one minute suggesting Jephers is ever going to have TT’s finishing, but what he does have is an almost identical level of athleticism.

Jephers biggest attribute by far is his 6-yrd box finishing. That is natural, instinctive, and is a gift that can’t easily be coached. If he can get that back on track, people will quickly stop talking about his other short-comings.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 6:37 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

I think we are in an age where every pro-footballer is largely looked upon as needing to be an ‘athlete’. There are many clear exceptions to this rule, with Jephcott being a prime example.  

We have fitness coaches, dieticians, nutritionists all being employed by clubs even at our level.....but none of these will turn some people into ‘athletes’ if they simply do not have the natural physical attributes and capability to attain that level of physical excellence. That is no slur on Jephcott. He simply isn’t, and never will be an athlete. But neither was Tynan. Now I’m not for one minute suggesting Jephers is ever going to have TT’s finishing, but what he does have is an almost identical level of athleticism.

Jephers biggest attribute by far is his 6-yrd box finishing. That is natural, instinctive, and is a gift that can’t easily be coached. If he can get that back on track, people will quickly stop talking about his other short-comings.

he doesnt need to be a tri athelete in terms of fitness but certainly able to last 90mins and not be blowing out his arse from jogging after 30mins. His finishing was great when he was able to pop up in the 5 yard line however defenders are wise to him now and he hasnt got anything new to offer since he has been exposed and that is why hes not pulling up trees in terms of goals or performances of late.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptySat May 07, 2022 8:05 am

Angry wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

he doesnt need to be a tri athelete in terms of fitness but certainly able to last 90mins and not be blowing out his arse from jogging after 30mins.  His finishing was great when he was able to pop up in the 5 yard line however defenders are wise to him now and he hasnt got anything new to offer since he has been exposed and that is why hes not pulling up trees in terms of goals or performances of late.

lol! Jeez non so fickle as a football fan eh? The way you describe Jeppers I am starting to believe I'm fitter than he is and deffo faster by a good bit.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptySat May 07, 2022 8:12 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

he doesnt need to be a tri athelete in terms of fitness but certainly able to last 90mins and not be blowing out his arse from jogging after 30mins.  His finishing was great when he was able to pop up in the 5 yard line however defenders are wise to him now and he hasnt got anything new to offer since he has been exposed and that is why hes not pulling up trees in terms of goals or performances of late.

lol! Jeez non so fickle as a football fan eh? The way you describe Jeppers I am starting to believe I'm fitter than he is and deffo faster by a good bit.

never been a huge fan for him ears so im consistent. He has his good points and some bad and im not seeing anything atm to suggest hes the new Harland as some labelled him as or he has the interest to up his game and do something to get to the next level, hopefully he does but im not confident. Lets not forget many thought Tyler Harvey was going to be a huge star after his breakout season .... where is he now?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptySat May 07, 2022 9:49 am

Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

never been a huge fan for him ears so im consistent. He has his good points and some bad and im not seeing anything atm to suggest hes the new Harland as some labelled him as or he has the interest to up his game and do something to get to the next level, hopefully he does but im not confident. Lets not forget many thought Tyler Harvey was going to be a huge star after his breakout  season .... where is he now?

Jephcott has scored 35 goals in just over 100 games for Argyle at first team level which is already incomparable to anything that Harvey achieved. For sure the scoring rate has dropped a bit over the last season and a half but it would still represent a fairly good return for a 22 year old starting out in pro football and one which would merit some perseverance-there certainly wouldn't be a lack of interest were Argyle to state that he was no longer needed. I thought that his general play improved outside the penalty area at times last season and maybe the way ahead would involve morphing into a different sort of striker-someone mentioned Mickey Evans earlier and indeed Trigger did evolve into a target man rather than a pacy out and out striker [a la his goal against Colchester in the play off match at HP].All very well to talk of pasties and lack of interest-they may well be accurate reasons for Jephcott's relative decline but then again they may not, people do bulk out naturally as they get older, seen it happen with lots of people in local sport who were by no means 10 pints and a gutbuster merchants.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptySat May 07, 2022 10:56 am

Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

never been a huge fan for him ears so im consistent. He has his good points and some bad and im not seeing anything atm to suggest hes the new Harland as some labelled him as or he has the interest to up his game and do something to get to the next level, hopefully he does but im not confident. Lets not forget many thought Tyler Harvey was going to be a huge star after his breakout  season .... where is he now?

Jephcott has scored 35 goals in just over 100 games for Argyle at first team level which is already incomparable to anything that Harvey achieved. For sure the scoring rate has dropped a bit over the last season and a half but it would still represent a fairly good return for a 22 year old starting out in pro football and one which would merit some perseverance-there certainly wouldn't be a lack of interest were Argyle to state that he was no longer needed. I thought that his general play improved outside the penalty area at times last season and maybe the way ahead would involve morphing into a different sort of striker-someone mentioned Mickey Evans earlier and indeed Trigger did evolve into a target man rather than a pacy out and out striker [a la his goal against Colchester in the play off match at HP].All very well to talk of pasties and lack of interest-they may well be accurate reasons for Jephcott's relative decline but then again they may not, people do bulk out naturally as they get older, seen it happen with lots of people in local sport who were by no means 10 pints and a gutbuster merchants.

his cardio is terrible for a professional footballer im positive schuey and even Ryan Lowe would have picked up on that hence why they have to sub him off after 60 minutes cause he simply is too blown up from jogging and cant do it if he was sprinting around i could understand him being blown up but jogging not for a professional athlete no.
Its a hinderance too in games that we cant throw on a midfielder or a defender when we need too because we have to allocate a sub for Jephcott into the game plan regardless of how we are doing and if the need is greater elsewhere.

Jephcott is not and will not be another Evans so we need to stop comparing him to Evans cause its not a compliment its more of an insult to Evans who was a special kind of striker., Evans could shake off defenders and do the job akinfenwa did for Wycombe at times go bully defenders, hold the ball up drag the other teams defence out of position and bring others into games.
It didnt matter if he didn't score goals as much cause he made an impact and changed games and brought a ton of assists for Stonebridge/Keith/Lowndes, Friio to name a few who did score the goals. I would love for us to find another Evans but they are a rare breed so i dont think we will see one sign over the summer.

Jephcott doesnt do what Evans did and isnt capable of doing that either and Hardie would be even more of a weed in appearance than he is now if he had to rely on Jephcott feeding him.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptySat May 07, 2022 11:30 am

Maybe all the fitness coaches, dieticians, etc etc etc should get the tin tac then.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptySat May 07, 2022 11:59 am

Thing is it's not just Jeppers goals that dried up it was practically all of them which said to me that the supply had dried up. This is a very tight league and the patten seems to be we go on a good run bang in some goals then just one team susses out how to shut us down and the rest follow suit. Without another real quality player that can beat people like Mayor does but then score or actually play someone in we will struggle with the depth and quality of the squad we have.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 23, 2022 8:57 pm

Sorry to say he will not be back

Offer have been made to the out-of-contract player:

Steven Sessegnon

Player release

Timmy Abraham
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 23, 2022 10:17 pm

Tgwu wrote:
Sorry to say he will not be back

Offer have been made to the out-of-contract player:

Steven Sessegnon

Player release

Timmy Abraham

he never was coming back why would he he barely played due to the non rotation system schuey believes in that cost us.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 EmptyTue May 24, 2022 4:03 pm

MONEY WILL ALWAYS TALK” – CARLTON PALMER DELIVERS VERDICT ON PLYMOUTH MIDFIELDER’S FUTURE AMIDST SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY INTEREST

Sheffield Wednesday will be targeting automatic promotion next season, after tasting defeat in the semi-finals of the League One play-offs.

Darren Moore will be eager to get to work with his squad this summer because as things stand, there appears to be lots of uncertain situations at the football club.

One player that the Owls have been linked with a move for is Plymouth Argyle’s Panutche Camara, who has been placed on the Pilgrims’ transfer list as they were not confident of the midfielder signing a new deal at Home Park.

However, director of football at the Devon club has spoken of a reluctance to sell the 25-year-old to a League One rival, in conversation with Plymouth Live.

Addressing the immediate rumour, and whether Plymouth will maintain this stance throughout the summer, Carlton Palmer told FLW: “At the end of the day, money will always talk. And if a sizable offer comes in for him, then they will sell.

“And obviously they wouldn’t want to stand in, well, you wouldn’t want them to think that they would want to stand in the player’s way of progressing and, you know, financially being better off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.    Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Retained list, and who do we want to buy or sell.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3