Grovehill
Angry
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Angry

Angry

Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2022 6:45 pm

Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:
Confirmed Mark Hughes is the new assistant manager....

This not going to end well no matter how much spin is put on it by avivas and the board. A unproven coach who was coaching the defence to mixed results assisting a manager who is starting his first full season in charge and still learning the role strikes me of the club being too cheap to find a decent assistant to schuey or schuey foolishly thinks he knows it all to go solo...

Looks like that was the plan all along, I suppose a natural progression as was Schumacher stepping up when Lowe bailed out.
Schumacher’s choice so we’ll have to see how it pans out.

its a choice he will have to justify if we arent pushing for the play offs come christmas and the honeymoon period with the fans starts to die which it will as the bar has been raised despite the club's best efforts to kill expectations with these cheap announcements and the potential sale of 3 key players.

Tbh I’d sooner see fresh young faces rather than regurgitate the same old faces, for instance whoever heard of Liam Manning, Ben Garner and Kieran McKenna and when they were appointed their fans were a bit hacked off, but they’re not now.
I’m waiting more for the player recruitment which is I think being a bit held up because of the uncertainty over Camara’s future

i would agree with you had mark had more coaching experience before coming here which he hasn't and schuey is a rookie manager who we all want to do well here after having a good start last season and i want the club to give him all the help he needs to do the job to the best of his ability especially when he comes up against Wycombe again and other teams who tactically outclass him last season cause he doesnt know how to combat their styles Hughes wont know how to advise on how the team can help improve their chances.

The other managers you mentioned have someone mentoring them in their coaching setup whether they are assistant or a coach which helps them out greatly and Downing help us out greatly too.

Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2022 6:49 pm

Several years ago Hartlepools give the manager's job to a chap younger than Schuemaker who's only coaching experience was with Sunderland's youth team, this guy got his mate (ex Div3 goalie) in as spongeman/asst manager-total disaster. Apart from two European Cups, two Championships and two promotions, these two clowns won nothing.

Even Clough and Taylor had to start somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2022 6:59 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Several years ago Hartlepools give the manager's job to a chap younger than Schuemaker who's only coaching experience was with Sunderland's youth team, this guy got his mate (ex Div3 goalie) in as spongeman/asst manager-total disaster. Apart from two European Cups, two Championships and two promotions, these two clowns won nothing.

are you really comparing mark hughes to peter taylor? Yes back in those days managers had time to get experience and abilities as contracts had meaning and fans where more trusting of giving managers time. Those days have gone and the game has moved on rapidly now. Plus whilst those two became one of the greatest managerial partnerships of all time they even had some guy called jimmy gordon an experienced coach working alongside them especially during their early days at derby, leeds (for a bit) and most of the forest years.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2022 7:10 pm

Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:

This not going to end well no matter how much spin is put on it by avivas and the board. A unproven coach who was coaching the defence to mixed results assisting a manager who is starting his first full season in charge and still learning the role strikes me of the club being too cheap to find a decent assistant to schuey or schuey foolishly thinks he knows it all to go solo...

Looks like that was the plan all along, I suppose a natural progression as was Schumacher stepping up when Lowe bailed out.

its a choice he will have to justify if we arent pushing for the play offs come christmas and the honeymoon period with the fans starts to die which it will as the bar has been raised despite the club's best efforts to kill expectations with these cheap announcements and the potential sale of 3 key players.

Tbh I’d sooner see fresh young faces rather than regurgitate the same old faces, for instance whoever heard of Liam Manning, Ben Garner and Kieran McKenna and when they were appointed their fans were a bit hacked off, but they’re not now.
I’m waiting more for the player recruitment which is I think being a bit held up because of the uncertainty over Camara’s future

i would agree with you had mark had more coaching experience before coming here which he hasn't and schuey is a rookie manager who we all want to do well here after having a good start last season and i want the club to give him all the help he needs to do the job to the best of his ability especially when he comes up against Wycombe again and other teams who tactically outclass him last season cause he doesnt know how to combat their styles Hughes wont know how to advise on how the team can help improve their chances.

The other managers you mentioned have someone mentoring them in their coaching setup whether they are assistant or a coach which helps them out greatly and Downing help us out greatly too.

Wycombe also "tactically outclassed" Lowe earlier in the season and Sheridan in 2016,both of whom had loads of management experience. Wonder how Schumacher "tactically outclassed" more experienced managers such as Coleman, Robinson, Evatt, Cowley etc during that long unbeaten run?
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2022 7:14 pm

Angry wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

are you really comparing mark hughes to peter taylor? Yes back in those days managers had time to get experience and abilities as contracts had meaning and fans where more trusting of giving managers time. Those days have gone and the game has moved on rapidly now. Plus whilst those two became one of the greatest managerial partnerships of all time they even had some guy called jimmy gordon an experienced coach working alongside them especially during their early days at derby, leeds (for a bit) and most of the forest years.

I'm not comparing Clough and Taylor to anyone, just pointing out that (as with all young managers) no one knows yet how Argyle's current management team will turn out.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2022 8:03 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:

Wycombe also "tactically outclassed" Lowe earlier in the season and Sheridan in 2016,both of whom had loads of management experience. Wonder how Schumacher "tactically outclassed" more experienced managers such as Coleman, Robinson, Evatt, Cowley etc during that long unbeaten run?
going back in time to try and prove a point never works. Again comparing others to what we have is no argument either they are them we have what we have.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2022 8:11 pm

First Team staff changes

In an all-encompassing restructure of the first team backroom staff, Mark Hughes has been appointed the club’s new Assistant Manager and Jimmy Dickinson will become Head of Recruitment for Argyle.

The changes are all part of the development of the first team coaching department, highlighted by the introduction of the Head of Recruitment role, and is evidence of the way the club is looking to strengthen and grow.

Mark’s appointment, as the number two, is a clear statement of the confidence the club has in young and exciting coaches.

With Steven Schumacher being in his first management role, it is evident Argyle are committed to developing young, forward thinking coaches. Mark has shown, in his short time at the club, that he has the the credentials.

He joined the club in January, less than a month after retiring from playing, and brought a different perspective to the coaching team.

His eye to detail and tactical knowledge, coupled with the fact he has only recently finished playing has given him a fresh take on player development. He has added another dimension to the team and he was an integral part of the Greens’ form in the second half of the season.

The former Accrington Stanley and Bristol Rovers man is a good friend of Schumacher’s and is a hugely respected young coach.

He is currently studying for his UEFA A licence and is on course to graduate next season.

He will continue to support Steven and work closely with first team coaches, Kevin Nancekivell and Darren Behcet in the training of the first team.

On being appointed Assistant Manager, Mark said, “First of all, I would like to thank the manager and the club giving me more responsibility in a job I am looking forward to so much.

“I have a long way to go in my coaching career, but this is the perfect club to help me with my journey.

“The players, coaching staff and supporters have helped me settle into the area and get over the transition from playing to coaching.

“It’s a proper football club and one I’ve felt like I have been at for more time than I actually have.

“I am looking forward to doing my upmost to get the club to next level. We were so close last year and that gives me so much hunger to go one better.

“I love working and learning from Steven, he is a great friend but also a top young manager. “Let’s get this chapter started.”

While Steven Schumacher said, “I am really pleased to have Mark as my new assistant.

“The long-term plan was always for Mark to become my number two, but with Keith Downing choosing to move on now, the time has come for him to step up sooner.

“I believe Mark is more than ready for this opportunity and added responsibility. He has been at the club for six months now and he has become a really valuable member of the coaching staff, and learning from Keith and Nance in these early stages of his coaching career will have prepared him to be ready for this next step.”

Jimmy Dickinson’s appointment to the Head of Recruitment role is an expansion to the football backroom staff and is an evolution towards the way in which Argyle wants to carry out its business.

Having joined the Greens, in the summer of 2019, Jimmy has been a key figure in the on-field progress, working closely with the first team management and players as the Lead Performance Analyst.

He will now move into a new role primarily responsible for identifying and monitoring potential first team targets.

Under the leadership of Chairman Simon Hallett, Chief Executive Officer Andrew Parkinson, and the club’s Board of Directors, the use of data has become an integral part of operations at Argyle.

As well as the introduction of the Head of Recruitment role, the Greens will also be appointing a Head of Football Data, with the intention of improving and evolving the club’s use of statistics and data to provide a competitive edge across all areas of football performance.

One of those will be the transfer policy and, in his new role, Dickinson will liaise closely with the club’s partner, MRKT Insights, in building a transfer strategy and identifying the right targets to improve the first team in future transfers.

He will work closely with Director of Football Neil Dewsnip and will be responsible for the direction of the scouting team across the country.

On his new role, Jimmy said: “It’s a big opportunity for me and something I’m really looking forward to.

“It’s an area I’ve been extremely interested in for a long time and using my data and analytics background, I believe I can really grow the department.

“I’ve worked with the Gaffer for a long time now and we have developed a strong working relationship.

“I’d like to thank the Gaffer, Neil, Simon, Andrew and all the board for giving me this opportunity and I cannot wait to get started.”

With Jimmy moving into his new role, Sam Morcom will move into the Lead Performance Analysis role.

Having graduated from Plymouth Marjon University, Morcom spent the successful 21/22 Sky Bet League One working underneath Dickinson, alongside work towards an MSc in Performance and Analysis.

Morcom will now be responsible for helping first team staff put together game plans for fixtures and will lead a small team which includes Harry Powell, who has progressed from a similar role in the Pilgrims' Academy to first-team duties.

On making the move to Lead Performance Analyst, Sam said: “I am delighted and really excited to step up to a new challenge.

“I have worked under Jimmy for the past three seasons, and I’d like to thank him for his endless support and guidance since I’ve been with the club - I am grateful to have learnt so much from him.

“Representing my hometown club in such a role is an honour - I’m looking forward to continuing the momentum from last season with a special group of staff, players, and people that we have at the football club.”

While Director of Football Neil Dewsnip said: “These changes further show the development of Argyle as a forward-thinking football club and hopefully support the development of the team towards our goal of becoming a Championship side in the seasons ahead."
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2022 8:47 pm

Angry wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:

going back in time to try and prove a point never works. Again comparing others to what we have is no argument either they are them we have what we have.

I'd try and answer that if i had the remotest clue about what you're talking about
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2022 8:54 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:

I'd try and answer that if i had the remotest clue about what you're talking about

you didnt bring intelligent input in the first place so probably for the best
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2022 9:40 pm

Angry wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:

Yes,yes.

Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyTue May 24, 2022 9:44 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Well done ATD-over a week of speculation about a coach and Wotton and Coughlan not mentioned once!
have any of the happy clappers mentioned warnock yet 😁
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyWed May 25, 2022 8:23 am

Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Angry wrote:

Yes,yes.

cheers Great thread.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyWed May 25, 2022 1:30 pm

Looks like player recruitment will be totally separate from the Coaching side of things.

Coaches say they want for example, a left sided midfielder, the recruitment team identify targets and once a player is signed, it's up to the Manager and coaches to get the best out of him.

I'm no fan of recruiting players just based on data, but anything has to be better than a Manager just signing people he's played alongside or been recommended by a mate.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyWed May 25, 2022 5:39 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Looks like player recruitment will be totally separate from the Coaching side of things.

Coaches say they want for example, a left sided midfielder, the recruitment team identify targets and once a player is signed, it's up to the Manager and coaches to get the best out of him.

I'm no fan of recruiting players just based on data, but anything has to be better than a Manager just signing people he's played alongside or been recommended by a mate.

Funny that because every player we have ever seen at Argyle bar those recruited in the last couple of years have always been known by the manager or a mate, it's how the game works.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyWed May 25, 2022 6:44 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Funny that because every player we have ever seen at Argyle bar those recruited in the last couple of years have always been known by the manager or a mate, it's how the game works.
what ever happened to the good old scouting system up and down the country watching games proper looking at players call me a old cynic ..but some things you can’t do on a lap top in my opinion
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyWed May 25, 2022 8:01 pm

RegGreen wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

what ever happened to the good old scouting system up and down the country watching games proper looking at players call me a old cynic ..but some things you can’t do on a lap top in my opinion

While i do see the benefits of using stats and analysis when it comes to looking for players nothing will ever replace actually watching the players in action and judging them for yourself after a few games deciding whether to make a bid for a player. stats look good on paper they dont always translate into reality as we have seen for ourselves with one or two players that have come here since we started using this analysis and stats approach.

I would like to see both the old school method scouting and the new age approach in stats and analysis collide at the club to target players and hopefully it does
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyThu May 26, 2022 1:57 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Paul Mariner was not known to anyone at Home Park, nor was Frio, Larrieu SEB, to name a few

World of difference between seeing someone play and wanting to sign him (like the one's mentioned) and thinking "Yeah, I was in the same team as Ruddy, think I'll sign him."
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyThu May 26, 2022 3:38 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Paul Mariner was not known to anyone at Home Park, nor was Frio, Larrieu SEB, to name a few

World of difference between seeing someone play and wanting to sign him (like the one's mentioned) and thinking "Yeah, I was in the same team as Ruddy, think I'll sign him."

Really? How do you know that? What about Barry Hayles? Played for Ollie at several clubs, Kieth Lasley was known to Sturrock, before data it was the way it was done, if you didn't know the player you'd phone a manager who did.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyThu May 26, 2022 6:00 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Really? How do you know that? What about Barry Hayles? Played for Ollie at several clubs, Kieth Lasley was known to Sturrock, before data it was the way it was done, if you didn't know the player you'd phone a manager who did.

sturrock did signed alot of ex players (coughlan, Worrell, Keith) to name 3 in both spells in charge some where great others where not (maclean, folly bernard) to name 3 too. however Keith Lashley was a Bobby Williamson signing dont think he played for either bobby or luggy before coming here though.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyThu May 26, 2022 6:52 pm

Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

sturrock did signed alot of ex players (coughlan, Worrell, Keith) to name 3 in both spells in charge some where great others where not (maclean, folly bernard) to name 3 too. however Keith Lashley was a Bobby Williamson signing dont think he played for either bobby or luggy before coming here though.

Whoa there Trigger. Didn't mention quality and neither did you, the discussion was about HOW players were signed.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyThu May 26, 2022 7:49 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Whoa there Trigger. Didn't mention quality and neither did you, the discussion was about HOW players were signed.

yeah and thats what i mentioned about signing players based on recommendation or having been former players sometimes it can work out in the examples i gave and how it can also be a bad thing again in the examples i gave, also pointed out Lashley wasnt a luggy player.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyFri May 27, 2022 9:52 am

Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

yeah and thats what i mentioned about signing players based on recommendation or having been former players sometimes it can work out in the examples i gave and how it can also be a bad thing again in the examples i gave, also pointed out Lashley wasnt a luggy player.

I refer you to my original answer, it's kind of fact whatever way that you spin it. "Funny that because every player we have ever seen at Argyle bar those recruited in the last couple of years have always been known by the manager or a mate, it's how the game works."
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyFri May 27, 2022 3:53 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

I refer you to my original answer, it's kind of fact whatever way that you spin it. "Funny that because every player we have ever seen at Argyle bar those recruited in the last couple of years have always been known by the manager or a mate, it's how the game works."

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 EmptyFri May 27, 2022 5:45 pm

Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Rolling Eyes

That shut you up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay   Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Schumacher hopes Keith Downing will Stay
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2