+4
Freathy
VillageGreen
tcm
Tringreen
8 posters
AuthorMessage

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 3:51 pm

One of my favourite Argyle games of all time. Away to Sheffield Wednesday on a Wednesday night, which clashed with Man Utd v Rangers in the Champions League.

Over 2000 Argyle fans witnessed the 3-1 Argyle win, with some of the best football I've seen an Argyle team play.

Friio and Norris running riot in midfield it could have been more than 3 goals away at a big ground where the Argyle fans outsang the near 20,000 Wendies fans, who were shocked at how many of us had made the long journey.

I don't remember there being a group of superfans back then either. Just a load of Argyle fans all wanting us to win for no other reason than we were all proud of Plymouth Argyle.

None of this PASB shit. No club president who was in the paper every two minutes with some crap or other, in fact I doubt very many of the travelling 2000 could name the club president,and none of this "I'm a better fan than you" bollocks. Just a great night going top of League 1 and knowing it was a really great Argyle side and manager, with the best fans in the country.

Great night out before and after the game

Nowadays if you're a "REAL FAN" you're probably more likely to be recognised than the players!

The Argyle side that night, with thanks to Greensonscreen:

McCormick, Worrell, Wotton, Coughlan, Gilbert, Norris, Friio, Adams, Stonebridge, Evans and Keith. Subs used, Bent and Capaldi.

How I miss those days Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Greenjock wrote:
One of my favourite Argyle games of all time. Away to Sheffield Wednesday on a Wednesday night, which clashed with Man Utd v Rangers in the Champions League.

Over 2000 Argyle fans witnessed the 3-1 Argyle win, with some of the best football I've seen an Argyle team play.

Friio and Norris running riot in midfield it could have been more than 3 goals away at a big ground where the Argyle fans outsang the near 20,000 Wendies fans, who were shocked at how many of us had made the long journey.

I don't remember there being a group of superfans back then either. Just a load of Argyle fans all wanting us to win for no other reason than we were all proud of Plymouth Argyle.

None of this PASB shit. No club president who was in the paper every two minutes with some crap or other, in fact I doubt very many of the travelling 2000 could name the club president,and none of this "I'm a better fan than you" bollocks. Just a great night going top of League 1 and knowing it was a really great Argyle side and manager, with the best fans in the country.

Nowadays if you're a "REAL FAN" you're probably more likely to be recognised than the players!

McCormick, Worrell, Wotton, Coughlan, Gilbert, Norris, Friio, Adams, Stonebridge, Evans and Keith. Subs used, Bent and Capaldi.

It might of been different....if Wednesday had recognized the power of a very big flag.......and the need of song sheets.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 4:30 pm

What gets to me, after 50 yrs of being addicted to the biggest underachieving city club in the land, is the country cousin inevitability of it all.

Of course, we all enjoyed the ride for a while, with Sturrock in his pomp, a seemingly 'run by fans for fans' board and growing attendance figures. Sadly, instead of actively seeking investment to reach for the stars, greed set in at the top and supported by the Pasoti brown noses, they were allowed a free ride. 'Trust in Stapes' ,'I'll never hear a bad word said about that man', 'Year on Year Progress' , were the watchwords emanating from the farm Politburo and all warning voices were silenced.

A few of us understood the footballing reality of the 21st century and explained repeatedly what would happen if cash backed ambition was not sought out. Players and management with burgeoning reputations would have their heads turned by more ambitious clubs offering far better wages, facilities and prospects.
Pulis made the club lean and aaaaaard to beat then Ollie built on his legacy. Cash backed ambition at that time would probably have resulted in play off frenzy and sell out crowds from a rightly sceptical population who had been brought up with the 'same old Argo' handle imprinted on their footballing souls.

It will happen again and the opportunity to awaken the sleeping giant will come round [not with Fletcher though]. Trouble is, we're in for years of village mentality, as long as the local dimwits have parking spaces and seats in the directors' box, whilst the brain dead faithful sing along with Dave Banana and revel in their superaviva status.

The club is going nowhere, fast.
Back to top Go down

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 4:50 pm

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always had.

It's up the fans to decide if they want to use their voice and now would be a good time. If not we'll get what we have always had!
Back to top Go down

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 5:17 pm

That was a wonderful night.
Back to top Go down
tcm

tcm

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 5:24 pm

i was at that one,,,and it will come again,,,why the hurry,,,just rejoice at that news Very Happy
Back to top Go down

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 5:32 pm

tcm wrote:
i was at that one,,,and it will come again,,,why the hurry,,,just rejoice at that news Very Happy

I do love you Mike Razz

I bet Sheffield never knew what him them! I know the majority travelled straight back after the game and got home at stupid o'clock. Great dedication. I stayed in a B+B which was run by a complete headcase who had a kind of Love Dungeon in the basement that he was proud to show us lol!

It had handcuffs on the bed frame and mirrors on the ceiling, and to top it off he had a huge heart-shaped bed. The guy reminded me of Kirk from Dear John, and he kept bees in one of the rooms affraid

Wednesday was student night and we partied with them in a brilliant pub that played fantastic music and had lots of drink offers for the poor students Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Greenjock wrote:

I was there that night,superb display.

Radio5live was full of SWFC fans saying how good Argyle were and surprised at how many we took up there that night.

Ah,memories Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 6:25 pm

I can remember seeing comments on their main fans website that night saying they had just been beaten by the probable Div 2 champions.

Will we ever see the like again? Not under brent we won't.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 6:39 pm

tcm wrote:

Why the fecking hurry? What a Face 48 years seems to have been quite long enough,thanks.Don't know how long you've been a fan but jam tomorrow is a concept that can seem to be a bit wearing after nearly five decades.

I was at that game too,fantastic performance,it was clear that Argyle were a class above Wednesday and promotion was a very realistic ambition.One of the better Argyle away performances of the 170 odd away games attended by yours truly,matched later on by some of the Holloway away days.
Back to top Go down
tcm

tcm

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 8:13 pm

dont panic greenskin theres a match tomorrow,,,,48 years is a long time ,what is it your waiting for?
Back to top Go down

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 8:15 pm

The top of England's lowest division would be a bonus at the moment.
Back to top Go down
tcm

tcm

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 8:19 pm

that would be smashing,,,,,,, Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:14 pm

tcm wrote:
dont panic greenskin theres a match tomorrow,,,,48 years is a long time ,what is it your waiting for?

Getting out of this dogshit division in a hurry would be a start.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:31 pm

The club is going nowhere, fast. [/quote]
We beat Rochdale did'nt we? Smile
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 3:01 am

seems like a lifetime ago.
Back to top Go down
gasser9

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 7:33 am

Greenjock wrote:

Fantastic game Jock and the atmosphere was just electric wasn't it.
Argyle at QPR in the league cup under Tony Waiters was only fractionally better because we were playing the 2nd in the 1st division in those days but the Wednesday game has to be right up there as far as away performances go.
Days or should I say evenings like that do not come along that often so it's great to reminisce.
Somehow I don't think Argyle at Cheltenham Town has the same ring about it but will be ecstatic if it's the same score line.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

October 22nd 2003 Empty
PostSubject: Re: October 22nd 2003   October 22nd 2003 Empty

Back to top Go down

October 22nd 2003
Page 1 of 1