Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Goals this season

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Goals this season Empty
PostSubject: Goals this season   Goals this season EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 6:53 pm

Barn Park end
Scored: 7
Conceded: 12

Devonport end
Scored: 3
Conceded: 2

Stats are for league matches only, we have been shooting towards the Devonport in the second half every league match this season.

Think these stats do well to outline our second half problem. We have conceded 6 times as many goals in the second half as we have in the first. Its very clear to see that we are winning the first half but loosing the second in most matches.

I think the stats for the away games also back this up.

First half
Scored: 2
Conceded: 4

Second half
Scored: 6
Conceded: 20

Shocking that we have conceded that many in the second half and only 4 in the first. It also suprises me that for the first time in a long time I have thought we play better at home and we score more goals and concede less.

Saturday was positive but they were a poor team and with most tohers I think we would have needed to keep it up in the second half, I could not have seen us scoring 4 in the first half home to Southend.

Just makes me wonder what the half time team talks consist off
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Goals this season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goals this season   Goals this season EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Truly shocking stats. Clearly opposition managers can easily read us like a book and change things accordingly in the second half. A manager who is not so easy to outwit would help. Also players who have the fitness, stamina and concentration to play for the full 90 minutes would help too.
Back to top Go down

Goals this season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goals this season   Goals this season EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Cobi Budge wrote:
Barn Park end
Scored: 7
Conceded: 12

Devonport end
Scored: 3
Conceded: 2

Stats are for league matches only, we have been shooting towards the Devonport in the second half every league match this season.

Think these stats do well to outline our second half problem. We have conceded 6 times as many goals in the second half as we have in the first. Its very clear to see that we are winning the first half but loosing the second in most matches.

I think the stats for the away games also back this up.

First half
Scored: 2
Conceded: 4

Second half
Scored: 6
Conceded: 20

Shocking that we have conceded that many in the second half and only 4 in the first. It also suprises me that for the first time in a long time I have thought we play better at home and we score more goals and concede less.

Saturday was positive but they were a poor team and with most tohers I think we would have needed to keep it up in the second half, I could not have seen us scoring 4 in the first half home to Southend.

Just makes me wonder what the half time team talks consist off

I gather its hard to give half time speeches when you are barely cutting your teeth in management. Another good reason why the club needs to bring in experience for Fletcher to work with and learn from. Fletcher has a busy summer with Larrieu starting their Coaching badges busy times ahead for him.

YOu right though cobi we are a Jekyll and Hyde team and it needs working on. One game doesnt resolve this.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Goals this season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goals this season   Goals this season EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 10:12 pm

I don't think its anything to do with half time team talks or tactics.I would say the following factors are more pertinent;

1.Argyle have had nothing on the bench this season to change games,a luxury which opposition managers have enjoyed.

2.An awful lot of crucial goals have been scored [Gillingham,Swindon,Morecambe,Cheltenham spring to mind readily] VERY late in games.To me,this suggests that there must be a fundamental problem in the squad with the physical side of the game-if it was a tactical problem brought about by something lacking in the half time team talk,why did it take opposition managers so long to suss this out? I don't mean just the ability to run for ninety minutes,thats not a problem.The strength and stamina issue must be relevant-Argyle have had a lot of young,lightweight players on the pitch this season,mostly through necessity rather than choice.And i'm not sure if the pre-season preparation was what it should be with all the off field shenanigans-anyone who has played football to a decent standard will tell you that if pre season is not up to scratch for any reason,then it can be very difficult to catch up,no matter how old or young you are.

3.The inability to bury teams when they are down.This may well be all interlinked to the issues in paragraph 2 but it has been a trait in Argyle teams of recent vintage to sit back and hold on to leads,rather than try and put the boot in on the opposition.Don't really know why,it seems to have been the same no matter who is manager.

Hopefully the arrival of some players with a bit of physical strength will put matters right,although it was disappointing even on saturday that a late goal was conceded-its a trend which must be discontinued if Argyle are to make headway and secure their status this season.
Back to top Go down

Goals this season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goals this season   Goals this season EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 12:07 am

Interesting points fellas.

Who was that guy that provided the club with all those statistics and numbers, and is he still around?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Goals this season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goals this season   Goals this season Empty

Back to top Go down

Goals this season
Page 1 of 1