HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Two new players?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Two new players? Empty
PostSubject: Two new players?   Two new players? EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 8:02 pm

John Sheridan closes in on final two Plymouth Argyle signings

JOHN SHERIDAN says he is very close to the two new signings he has targeted to complete his Plymouth Argyle first-team squad.

Sheridan wants a goalkeeping understudy to Pilgrims’ number one Luke McCormick and a central midfielder to replace Conor Hourihane.

Manager Sheridan has already brought in six new faces this summer and reckons he should have his new targets in place either before or just after this weekend.

Sheridan admitted Hourihane, who has joined League One Barnsley for a reported £200,000, would be a hard act to follow.

However, Sheridan said he was confident of filling the vacancy with another young player who, in common with his recent recruits, would have experience to complement their youth.

Sheridan, in his first press conference ahead of the 2014/15 League Two campaign, said otherwise he was pretty much happy with his squad and the physical shape they had returned in for pre-season.

He said: “In terms of the first team, I think we’re just about there. I just need to fill in one or two slots.

“I hope to do that within the next few days, probably the early part of next week.

“But I’m very pleased with what I’ve got so far.”

Sheridan added: “It’s no secret where they are as, obviously, with Conor having gone I need a replacement there, and I also want to bring in another goalkeeper.

“I’ll be looking at having a core squad of 14 or 15 players who, if I can keep fit, will serve us well.”

Sheridan was philosophical about losing 23-year-old Hourihane, who had been first-team captain since Darren Purse left for Port Vale in 2013, saying he knew that envious eyes had been watching the Irishman for some time.

“I knew there were one or two interested in him. There’s bound to be.

“He was a young captain of the side and he scored nine goals for us last season,” said Sheridan.

“But these are things that you’ve got to expect and I don’t see anything wrong in being ambitious.

“I want all my players to be thinking they can improve with us and help us, and then play at a higher standard.”

The Argyle boss continued: “Look, I don’t want to be managing in League Two and I don’t want players here who are satisfied with that.

“If you look at the age of the team, it’s full of youth but they’ve all got games under their belts.

“Our next signings will be the same.”

Sheridan admitted he was pleased to persuade leading goalscorer in 2013/14, Reuben Reid, to ignore rival interest and continue where he left off with the Pilgrims this season.

Reid, who had been on a season-long loan at Home Park from Yeovil Town, scored 21 goals in all competitions as Sheridan’s side came close to making the play-offs last season.

Sheridan said: “Naturally, I’m happy Reuben stayed with us and I’m hoping he can continue in the same vein this season.

“I like to think I’ve helped him improve as a player, probably by getting on his back at times, but that’s what you have to do with him and it worked.”

Read more at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Two new players?
Page 1 of 1