HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pub & Eating House Thread.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
downthetrack

downthetrack

Pub & Eating House Thread. Empty
PostSubject: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 6:20 pm

A thread about the Title
The good,the bad,the ugly.
The Beer ,Food, Atmosphere .Get the drift ? bit of a guide to any who reads the thread
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Fortescue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 11:30 pm

Went to The Double Locks near exeshitter a couple of weeks ago, haven't been there for donkeys years, used to go to gigs with biker mates and it was alway awesome. Twenty five years on, beer, excellent, couldn't fault it, food looked decent average pub fare, BUT! they seem to have tacked a 750 child playground to the rear of the pub! FOOKIN madness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 11:34 pm

I used to be a chef there
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 11:40 pm

The Half Moon in Tiverton does great breakfasts and is open at 8.30am for drinkies
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 7:44 am

Ate here last night. Great views, great food.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 8:45 am

The Do Drop Inn chain that owned The Tamar has sold most of its 250 pubs to the Harvester chain, but Tamar isn't included and is one of remaining being run by administrators looking to sell as going concern.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 5:40 pm

Pub chains should be feckin banned, they've fecked up many a pub by Mis managing them, grrr.
Pigs Nose in East Prawle, great bitter, food ok, really good quirky boozer. Decent cider as well.
Rising Sun in Gunnislake, open mike night Mondays, superb ale and decent food (although I've not eaten there. Great for an after work pint and a natter.
Walkhampton inn is another one for a great pint, open all day on Sunday with a happy hour from 4 til 6.
Back to top Go down
downthetrack

downthetrack

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 4:04 pm

Halfway House Inn,in Luton. A premier inn,does what says .All you can eat breakfast £8.75, all English staff helpful and friendly Surprised me in multicultural Luton.Doombar & London Pride beer £3 not bad.2 nights me and the wife £100.Would stay their again if I needed to go to that shit hole again.
Free WiFi as well
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 4:48 pm

All English staff, feckin service must be dire.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 6:02 pm

None of them pesky darkie boys to polish your shoes in the morning then
Back to top Go down
downthetrack

downthetrack

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Iggy wrote:
Most English staff are excillent.Best bar staff by a mile are the yanks.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 7:18 pm

downthetrack wrote:
Iggy wrote:

Tony doesn't think so!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Iggy wrote:
Went to The Double Locks near exeshitter a couple of weeks ago, haven't been there for donkeys years, used to go to gigs with biker mates and it was alway awesome. Twenty five years on, beer, excellent, couldn't fault it, food looked decent average pub fare, BUT! they seem to have tacked a 750 child playground to the rear of the pub! FOOKIN madness.

Double locks good. An absolute bugger to find
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 11:28 pm

That gert big ooj play area outside The Locks has been there for years now. The first time I went there was the year that Justin Rose nearly won The Open as an amateur because I camped there on the Saturday and remember watching him do his stuff when I got home. That was before my boy was born and he's 16 now...
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 11:23 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
That gert big ooj play area outside The Locks has been there for years now. The first time I went there was the year that Justin Rose nearly won The Open as an amateur because I camped there on the Saturday and remember watching him do his stuff when I got home. That was before my boy was born and he's 16 now...
I'm talking twenty five to thirty years ago when we went there watching bands, I only found it by accident fishing the canal one day recently.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 11:30 am

downthetrack wrote:
Iggy wrote:

As an ex bar man whose parents had a pub I would disagree with that statement, some bar persons are excellent, they have an aye that can pick out a man with an empty glass in a second, they know what the actuall feck a black and tan is (despite regional variation) they will know the character of the beer they are selling, they will know how to carry a round in their head and their people skills will be excellent, able to spot trouble before it happens or diffuse it when it does.
Most people behind bars are given on average about five minutes of training. Waiters, waitresses, cooks and cleaners are seen as scum really in this country, in France the service industry is a respected profession and boy does it show. I had an awful pint of Guinness recently when in Tain the 18 year old bar maids reply when I complained that it tasted of vinegar? Looks all right to me!
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 11:31 am

If you toddle off down the canal path towards Topsham you go through a nature reserve and end up at the Turf Lock. The Turf has an incredible location with a big lawn surrounding it, the Exe on one side, the canal on the other and the estuary in front of it.

As pleasurable a way of spending a few hours in Exeter as I can think of.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 11:37 am

Whilst I'm here and talking about the service industry me and a couple of mates were working in Penzance recently, five to nine and were starving, just clicked off work and we want Steak we decide, first pub, "we stop food at nine!" feckin five to innit? Second pub, same answer two minutes to nine, same at another at nine o clock sharp. Wtf is that all about? They have a kitchen presumably stocked with food, a till to put money in but they'd rather leave it all as it is rather than cook a couple of meals. We went to a curry house that had shut twenty minutes earlier and the lovely nepalese woman who had just sat down sort of cast her eyes heavenward epasked us to be quick ordering and cooked us a wonderful curry, she earned herself a nice twenty quid tip into the bargain.
The first landlord told me the friers had been turned off, I laughed and told him to stick his hand in see if it was cold yet, he didn't join into the laughter, wanker.
Back to top Go down
downthetrack

downthetrack

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 11:43 am

Iggy wrote:
downthetrack wrote:
Iggy wrote:

As an ex bar man whose parents had a pub I would disagree with that statement, some bar persons are excellent, they have an aye that can pick out a man with an empty glass in a second, they know what the actuall feck a black and tan is (despite regional variation) they will know the character of the beer they are selling, they will know how to carry a round in their head and their people skills will be excellent, able to spot trouble before it happens or diffuse it when it does.
Most people behind bars are given on average about five minutes of training. Waiters, waitresses, cooks and cleaners are seen as scum really in this country, in France the service industry is a respected profession and boy does it show. I had an awful pint of Guinness recently when in Tain the 18 year old bar maids reply when I complained that it tasted of vinegar? Looks all right to me!
Good post I agree to some of that .But if pubs & Restaurants don't come up to scratch they'll go under. Bad beer, bad food, bad service.you don't go back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 11:59 am

Totally agree to that amen. It's why loads of pubs have gone under, the British Pub done right is a wonderful thing, good service, great beer, or it stinks of drip trays, surly staff and over three quid for a shit pint, like chalk and cheese.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pub & Eating House Thread.   Pub & Eating House Thread. Empty

Back to top Go down

Pub & Eating House Thread.
Page 1 of 1