The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Out-of-contract players

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Out-of-contract players Empty
PostSubject: Out-of-contract players   Out-of-contract players EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 5:00 pm

DEREK ADAMS is pushing for Plymouth Argyle's out-of-contract players to decide whether to accept the new deals offered to them.

The sooner they do so the more time the Pilgrims' boss will have to work on reshaping his squad for the start of the 2016/17 EFL season.

Adams offered new terms to 13 players after the League Two Play-Off Final defeat by AFC Wimbledon at Wembley and they have until June 30 to inform the club of their decisions.

Their responses will affect which areas of the squad need the most attention and which potential new recruits Adams will make a move for.

Argyle currently have only five players under contract for next season – Graham Carey, Jake Jervis and Gary Sawyer, as well as summer signings Ryan Donaldson and Yann Songo'o.

Adams told Herald Sport: "It's very difficult because I'm looking to add to the squad by signing players.

"I'm waiting for the ones that were with us before to make decisions.

"Plymouth Argyle is a fantastic football club but some of them will be looking to see if they can get better offers elsewhere.

"We have made very good offers to them – the best we can do – and that's how it stands.

"We just have to wait until they make a decision. The ball is in a footballer's court at this moment in time.

"Then it comes back into a club's court after June 30."

He added: "The PFA (the players' union) have been able to do a very good job for footballers."

Two of the 13 out-of-contract players who were offered new deals by Adams have already left Argyle this month.

Defender Peter Hartley has signed for newly-promoted League One outfit Bristol Rovers while back-up goalkeeper James Bittner has moved to Newport County.

That leaves 11 players remaining, such as Luke McCormick, captain Curtis Nelson, Carl McHugh, Gregg Wylde and Reuben Reid, to make their minds up.

Adams revealed some of those 11 had verbally accepted the terms, but would not go into any more details than that.

Defender Peter Hartley has moved from Argyle to Bristol Rovers

He said: "We are just waiting to tie things up but we have got agreements in place with players."

Adams repeated his belief that Argyle had made 'very good offers' to the out-of-contract players.

"We have been in dialogue with the players and their agents and we are just waiting to hear back from them," said the Pilgrims' boss.

"But I have identified players to come in if they don't stay. You have always got to act in the best possible way."

Adams has got more money to spend on his playing staff for 2016/17 compared to last term.

Argyle's attendances at Home Park increased by 18 per cent last season as they narrowly missed out on promotion to League One.

There was also a £500,000 investment into the club by new director Simon Hallett in April, which wiped out historic debts and provided extra working capital too.

Adams said: "It (the playing budget) has gone up from last season but that's as much as I can say on that."

When asked how it compared to other clubs in League Two, Adams replied: "That's not for me to say.

"I obviously know how it does compare but that's up to other people to say."

Adams wished Hartley and Bittner well for their future careers but did not want to dwell on their departures from Home Park – and it will be the same with anyone else who moves on.

His sole focus is on assembling as strong a squad as possible for next season.

Adams said: "I'm not going to comment on players leaving because I have got to look after Plymouth Argyle Football Club. I think it's best to concentrate on that."

Bittner worked as Argyle's goalkeeping coach last season, in addition to providing back up to Luke McCormick.

Vincent Dorel was then signed on a short-term contract towards the end of the campaign to provide further competition in that position.

Adams said: "At this moment in time we don't have a goalkeeping coach in place. That's something we will have to look into."

From Brent Herald
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

Out-of-contract players Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out-of-contract players   Out-of-contract players EmptyMon Jun 20, 2016 5:42 pm

Now the out of contract players know the type of quality Adams is forced to recruit, i will be amazed if any of the good ones want to stay for the inevitable relegation struggle to come.
Back to top Go down

Out-of-contract players
Page 1 of 1