Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)

Go down 
+19
Freathy
VillageGreen
sufferedsince 68
Dingle
StoneGreen
vincent_vega
Hitch
akagreengull
RegGreen
Peggy
Charlie Wood
Sir Francis Drake
harvetheslayer
Yea Man
Innocent Egbunike
Czarcasm
Les Miserable
Earwegoagain
Tgwu
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Cornish Rebel

Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 7:48 pm

There’s feck all on pasoti about this mein kampf piece. They too busy pulling each other’s puddings after beating mk youth team. The pig has mindfucked all of em
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Running a rugby club is far cheaper than running a football club

I think Exeter Chiefs playing budget is capped by the RFL as something under £2 million pa. i.e something like 20 players at £2k per week

I think that's what Brent wants to copy

Average Championship player on about £10k per week, I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Exeter Chiefs 2016 Accounts:

Rugby Income £15,427,210
Sandy Park Income £1,561,643

So the current Premiership Champions, who are involved in European and Domestic cup competitions every season, whose ground is ideally situated within a stones throw of Exeter Airport and the M5 generate just over £1.5 million of income from their ground; and Argyle’s Chairman reckons that a renovated Home Park, home to a club whose marketing can claim nothing to match Chiefs achievements, which 45 miles further into Devon down an A road with no airport within 45 miles either way is somehow going to generate over a million a season, when there are conferencing facilities on the Hoe (The Holiday inn, or whatever it’s called now) and the Uni which offer far more for businesses and other organisations.

The man is utterly deluded.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 9:26 pm

Homeslice wrote:

Rugby Income £15,427,210

So the current Premiership Champions, who are involved in European and Domestic cup competitions every season, whose ground is ideally situated within a stones throw of Exeter Airport and the M5 generate just over £1.5 million of income from their ground; and Argyle’s Chairman reckons that a renovated Home Park, home to a club whose marketing can claim nothing to match Chiefs achievements, which 45 miles further into Devon down an A road with no airport within 45 miles either way is somehow going to generate over a million a season, when there are conferencing facilities on the Hoe (The Holiday inn, or whatever it’s called now) and the Uni which offer far more for businesses and other organisations.

Maths isnt his strong point Homeslice.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 9:32 pm

I can't help but wonder how a man so steeped in finance can possibly be so seemingly unaware of the financial details under-pinning his reasoning. I would expect him to have pored over spreadsheets, weighed this against that, factored in a bit of inflation and some depreciation and be so familiar with the details that he couldn't help but communicate them in every utterance he makes.

He doesn't though. It is all vague; nothing that can be measured or counted.

"successful but financially sustainable"

" investing in the club’s infrastructure to generate additional revenue"

"have a squad that competes well in League One"

"The Championship is a very expensive place to be. It’s an expensive place potentially to get to."

"we want to be a sustainable football club where we put money into infrastructure to generate revenues."

"put more back into the football team"

"I don’t accept, if I’m totally frank, that a well-run sustainable football club can’t go higher than people think it can go."

"as I understand it, £16.5 million of income, the majority of which comes from Sandy Park, not from RFU distributions or match-day ticket sales"

As an aside here he quite clearly does not understand it. He is completely wrong.

So it is all very vague. Nothing that he can be held to account for. When he does go for some figures they are totally wrong.

This quite simply is not what I expect from a man such as him. It's like pub talk. It's the sort of stuff you start with when you have an idea but no data to base it on.

And I simply can't believe that this is the case.

I'm sure he knows all the numbers that matter. Probably never stops counting, assessing, checking, monitoring. He's a banker - his mind will work like an adding machine.

Which suggests that while we watch him and read what he says about the football club thinking it is priority it isn't. He's only there talking about it at all for PR purposes. None of this is about Argyle. He doesn't give a damn about Argyle. It's about the bigger picture, the wider project. That's the one he knows all the numbers for.

All he's doing here is spoofing as he goes to keep some people on side and to try to quieten those who aren't. It is all a sham. All of it.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 10:49 pm

Scene: Akkeron HQ

Brent: I must have been misled. I was told that the locals were thick and compliant, and that the handful with more than one brain cell had been driven off. Now it seems some of them have worked out what I'm up to and they're revolting.

The people who Brent talks to: No, m'lud, most of them still worship you, your highness.

Brent: It's just not good enough. I demand more worship. What are you going to do about it?

TPWBTT: We know, your holiness - let's take five minutes to string together some meaningless cant. Chuck in some random numbers and James' your uncle. Your honour.

Brent: Excellent. That should do it. Chop chop, now.

TPWBTT: Thank you, oh great one, m'lud.

TPWBTT exit backwards, on all fours.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 6:05 am

Homeslice wrote:

Rugby Income £15,427,210

Indeed he is having overseen a total of 47 Bankruptcies Administrations and Closures combined lets not forget with being part of the biggest financial meltdown of all time.
The fella is a total trainwreck of the highest order, deluded, clueless and in desperate need of a tube of Savlon.

(edited to add 47 were easily found have little doubt there are many more)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 7:24 am

Grovehill wrote:

I think Exeter Chiefs playing budget is capped by the RFL as something under £2 million pa. i.e something like 20 players at £2k per week
k.

Grover's, try a 6 million cap for premier teams with 2 extra players under certain circumstances. Times have changed and there's the pesky French on the other side of the "ocean" to compete with now they have their deal with Canal.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Grovehill wrote:

Too many clubs go "tits up" trying to reach the promised land and then take a time trying to get back. That will continue.

Getting to the Championship will screw clubs too. That is now a very pricey place to be.

It is sad that money has all but ruined the game, the European teams did moan about a Premier League deal with Sky/BT (et al) not so long ago. The EFL are the poor minnions to the Premier League. They will pump most of their earnings into and promoting the Championship. League One and Two, the lesser.

I am still expecting in the far off future a split between the Championship and the EFL, ala the big dream of that former Bolton Chairman.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 4:37 pm

Grovehill wrote:

Dawe was widely reported (rumoured tbf) to be earring £50k a year at Albion about ten years ago as a player, if that's true I would have thought the likes of Jank Knowles is on quite a bit more than that at Chiefs.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 8:20 pm

I was wrong. The RFL salary cap is just under £7 million.

However, I think that it's clear that the money needed to run even a top Rugby Club is far less than even a second tier football Club. £7 million being equal to 14 player on £10k per week.

So, additional income of say £1 million would make a lot bigger difference to a Rugby Club than a football club.

As others have pointed out there's not much chance of that sort of profit being made on anything likely to be built at Home Park. Nor is there any history of even moderately successful football clubs being developed on non football related income streams.

As for the idea that better facilities will draw larger crowds, it's simply ridiculous. President Clinton used the motto "it's the economy stupid" in his election campaign.
Brent needs to remember "IT'S THE FOOTBALL' STUPID"
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Grovehill wrote:

However, I think that it's clear that the money needed to run even a top Rugby Club is far less than even a second tier football Club. £7 million being equal to 14 player on £10k per week.

So, additional income of say £1 million would make a lot bigger difference to a Rugby  Club than a football club.

As others have pointed out there's not much chance of that sort of profit being made on anything likely to be built at Home Park. Nor is there any history of even moderately successful football clubs being developed on non football related income streams.

As for the idea that better facilities will draw larger crowds, it's simply ridiculous. President Clinton used the motto "it's the economy stupid" in his election campaign.

And even less chance of it making a profit if, as the accounts seem to show, any profit from the football club is helping to bail out other property in the owner's portfolio
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 12, 2017 4:04 am

Peggy wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

So, additional income of say £1 million would make a lot bigger difference to a Rugby  Club than a football club.

And even less chance of it making a profit if, as the accounts seem to show, any profit from the football club is helping to bail out other property in the owner's portfolio

Perhaps the hapless Sports editor Stu James from the Erald should look into that suggestion instead of waffling on Freechat defending Errington and Brent......by the way dont forget to tag me in SJ when you print the retraction over Brents lies will you.
Back to top Go down
nzgreen

nzgreen

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 12, 2017 12:02 pm

The herald website isn't very good is it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 12, 2017 4:29 pm

By the time all the costs are taken out of the Brent/ Hallett scoffathon , net profit that might help the football at the club will be 200k tops per annum. By the time All of Brent's other companies holed up at Home Park tuck in, I suspect there will be diddly left. It's all bull. The only good thing is the seating will actually be returned to the Mayflower.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 12, 2017 6:04 pm

beesrus wrote:
By the time all the costs are taken out of the Brent/ Hallett scoffathon , net profit that might help the football at the club will be 200k tops per annum. By the time All of Brent's other companies holed up at Home Park tuck in, I suspect there will be diddly left. It's all bull. The only good thing is the seating will actually be returned to the Mayflower.

Then the fine gennleman will get some shit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 12, 2017 7:29 pm

It's the real reason Todd shut down the Mayflower in the first place. He really didn't like it up him. A real baby. Too used to running water and insulation, nay insurance, from the wind that blows. He should have stuck to his make believe lanterns, plenty of money, no trouble.
Back to top Go down
jabba the gut ecfc

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Haven't the chiefs spent millions on their team / infrastructure / stadium? Comparing the two is stretching it beyond a pisstake.....wake me up when this nightmare is over.

Haven't the Chiefs just won their Premier League playing an entertaining type of Rugby?

And you forget they won a cup the year before that, attract top internationals and are playing in Europe, thereby getting regular national TV exposure and widespread national media exposure in general with not just the fees, but all the tangential revenue that flows from that.

To be fair we get the same "IWANNABELIKECHEEEEFS!" drivel from the dickheads on exeweb occasionally - but as other posters have pointed out its largely pointless comparing lower-league football clubs with elite rugby teams operating at an entirely different level, in a sport where the off-field context bears only passing comparison with the world of professional football.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Exactly.     90% of sport earnings come from succeeding at the sport, not corporate dining !!
Blackpool are a perfect example. They got themselves basically a foreign gambler who understood that if he put down a stake of say 40 million, he would double his money. He couldn't care less about peanuts for the corporate scoffs, the big money was the premiership, then not investing the megabucks back into the team, and parachuting back down and out with a mighty big wedge over 4 years, all sport money, or more accurately, tv money.

Here's a novel suggestion of mine that would send shivers down the spine of the likes of Brent, and foreign gambling millionaires. Not only should there be a maximum amount of turnover spent on player cost, there should also be a minimum, with those way below the norm for that division to be "golden shared" out of the game.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 6:00 pm

beesrus wrote:
Exactly.     90% of sport earnings come from succeeding at the sport, not corporate dining !!
Blackpool are a perfect example. They got themselves basically a foreign gambler who understood that if he put down a stake of say 40 million, he would double his money. He couldn't care less about peanuts for the corporate scoffs, the big money was the premiership, then not investing the megabucks back into the team, and parachuting back down and out with a mighty big wedge over 4 years, all sport money, or more accurately, tv money.
Who in their right minds think that Jimmy or smarms could make a bean out of this corporate Brown nosing?
Nobody is going to pay big bucks for a leg of rubber chicken and the chance to watch argo scuffle about with yovo! they would lose a fortune before it finally  dawned on them that nobody is going to pay good money to eat shit food and watch shit football.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 6:13 pm

Don't forget the filter coffee for fifty pence a cup with free refills, gotta be a huge earner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 6:21 pm

Hey Suffers, that's just one part of his business plan. The idea is for corporate conferencing all week, week in, week week out, although the lion's share of dosh of any business generated will go to the separately owned hotel. Basically, they're all going to wake up, stock up in the hotel, leg it past the life centre, past the crumbing corner of the devonport end with it's rusting steelwork and spend 6 hours renting some space and projectors from the football club in some god awful bolt on where, no doubt, the sockets will get wet and fuse. I can just imagine all those companies queueing up to impress their employees and customers with the 21 st century HP treatment.

It's another Brent disaster waiting to happen, with the club being landed with a mortgage of 4, probably 5 or 6 million ith the price of bricks and all these delays, which of course the blame will be put elsewhere. It's a praaaappper clean up job and scarper. No new "free" grandstand and completed stadium", HHP land nicked and monetised by others, hemmed in, and mortgaged to the hilt. And that's before we even think about whether the horseshoe gets pinched and rented back as a nice Coventry style earner.
And just to make sure the tenants don't dodge their fiscal responsibilities, the club can be sold for £1 to Wrathall, Stapleton, and no doubt a superfan or two. What a mess, glad I'm not going.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 7:20 am

Rather than starting a new thread will add here but I was under the impression Peter Jones and David Felwick had resigned or been pushed out of Argyle by Brent....certainly from the link whereby the Pig Pig was questioning the lack of Plymouth born Directors Peter Jones has chirped up....

Have a look from last night....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 7:46 am

Will some one who post on Pisspot put Isondil right

I know the objectors support and want what is best for the club, to their minds, but at what cost? I mean to say, failure to get these plans through, means there are little to no additional non-matchday income which as we’ve seen feom the Sandy Park model represents circa £6m extra income to the club. So what is so catastrophic about the extra income to Home Park?
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 8:40 am

Tgwu wrote:
Will some one who post on Pisspot put Isondil right

I know the objectors support and want what is best for the club, to their minds, but at what cost? I mean to say, failure to get these plans through, means there are little to no additional non-matchday income which as we’ve seen feom the Sandy Park model represents circa £6m extra income to the club. So what is so catastrophic about the extra income to Home Park?

Deliar and the Pig could set him straight in a heartbeat naturally of course they wont
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)   Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Brent interview in Brent Herald (Not click bail on ATD)
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next