Dane

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 7:14 pm

This world cup is shaping up to be one of the very best

Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Dane. wrote:
This world cup is shaping up to be one of the very best

I agree.

Plenty of twists and turns to come in the days ahead.
Back to top Go down

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 6:34 pm

It's good competition that's for sure!
lets hope it keeps going into the knockouts.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 2:36 pm

BBC1 wrote:
It's good competition that's for sure!
lets hope it keeps going into the knockouts.

Well, now that England are out, we can sit back and enjoy the footie.....
Back to top Go down

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 pm

France are running riot.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 9:33 pm

5 nil now to France.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 11:26 pm

1/4 finals will be tight affairs

brazil v chile. CHILE WILL WIN THAT
mexico v holland
columbia v costa rica
uruguay v ivory coast
arg v switz
france v bosnia/nigeria
russia v germany
belguim v portugal/usa ?

Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 1:08 pm

Elias wrote:
1/4 finals will be tight affairs

brazil v chile. CHILE WILL WIN THAT
mexico v holland
columbia v costa rica
uruguay v ivory coast
arg v switz
france v bosnia/nigeria
russia v germany
belguim v portugal/usa ?

All good games if results go to plan!
Back to top Go down

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 2:38 pm

I agree with Dane, there hasn't been a crap match yet. It's a pity that England managed to do what England does though.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Apparently, Argentina already mapped their way to the final. If they play like they did today against stiffer opposition, they better take another look at that map.

Another top player in Messi pops up and takes his chance well, other than that, they looked ordinary.

I am thinking it could be a Brazil Vs Argentina World Cup Final though...
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 10:24 pm

Iran were magnificent today. That late goal was a tragedy for them.

And the 2nd half of Germany v Ghana... Just wow!

It's been, England apart, a fantastic tournament so far.

And if Mexico and Italy progress and Colombia and France win their groups I'll be very happy.

And happier still if 2 of them make the final!
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Generally speaking due to my Scottish parentage I never really cared for most of the World Cup's in previous years.
This one has been excellent (apart from watching England), France last night, Iran and that cheeky left peg from Messi.
Great entertainment.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 6:57 am

The more matches I see...the more teams I think England would lose to.....who would have thought that Iran,Ghana would have stretched Argentina & Germany to the limit.

Costa Rica might not try so hard now that there in the last sixteen......giving us a glimmer of hope to not be going home with zero points.

Last edited by zyph on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 7:44 am

or even Costa Rica
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 8:02 am

pepsipete wrote:
or even Costa Rica

Quite so pepsi.......Chile have already outplayed us at Wembley awhile back 2-0.......I got the 'C' part correct.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 9:23 am

Costa Rica = Pepsi or Zyph
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 9:41 am

Tringreen = Tiring (oops one to many I's) or Trinny ?
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 10:18 am

the world cup always begins once england get knocked out
Back to top Go down

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 10:37 am

zyph wrote:
The more matches I see...the more teams I think England would lose to.....who would have thought that Iran,Ghana would have stretched Argentina & Germany to the limit.

Costa Rica might not try so hard now that there in the last sixteen......giving us a glimmer of hope to not be going home with zero points.

Yup definitely.

It really is telling how poor we are that when we played Italy I thought we played well and that Italy would go on to be a force to be reckoned with, now having watched the others I would say that Italy are ordinary and England are light years behind even the less thought of footballing countries.

I think that Costa Rica will fancy themselves and there's no reason why they shouldn't!

In footballing terms, England are third world!
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 11:19 am

GOB wrote:
zyph wrote:

Yup definitely.

It really is telling how poor we are that when we played Italy I thought we played well and that Italy would go on to be a force to be reckoned with, now having watched the others I would say that Italy are ordinary and England are light years behind even the less thought of footballing countries.

I think that Costa Rica will fancy themselves and there's no reason why they shouldn't!

FIFA's world rankings list has been seen for what it is....unreliable at least.....maybe FIFA should concentrate on getting their rankings to portray what is actually happening in world football.......but that would keep them away from the important things such as......Bungs for the boys,controlling the peasants and keeping their mates in the top jobs.....you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours etc.

England's ranking.......between 25/35th position might be more realistic......in some positions we have no depth of choice and when injuries occur we are stuggling to find cover.

Premiership football might be seen as where the elite play......but it ain't doing english players any favours.......Sky and their honeypot plus the FA have currupted any chance of England ever having a world class team.

Stop it all now......maximum of three foreign players on the pitch at any given time.....this would stop foreign players coming here and maturing into world class players at the expense of home grown english lads.....might sound harsh ....but bring on our own players.... not other countries players.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 12:06 pm

zyph wrote:
GOB wrote:
zyph wrote:

Yup definitely.

FIFA's world rankings list has been seen for what it is....unreliable at least.....maybe FIFA should concentrate on getting their rankings to portray what is actually happening in world football.......but that would keep them away from the important things such as......Bungs for the boys,controlling the peasants and keeping their mates in the top jobs.....you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours etc.

England's ranking.......between 25/35th position might be more realistic......in some positions we have no depth of choice and when injuries occur we are stuggling to find cover.

Premiership football might be seen as where the elite play......but it ain't doing english players any favours.......Sky and their honeypot plus the FA have currupted any chance of England ever having a world class team.

Stop it all now......maximum of three foreign players on the pitch at any given time.....this would stop foreign players coming here and maturing into world class players at the expense of home grown english lads.....might sound harsh ....but bring on our own players.... not other countries players.

They say that Spain is the place to go and if that is the case, will the EPL see a rapid decline.

One day Sky will see its bubble burst i believe.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 3:30 pm

problem with fifa rankings and a world cup/euro champs is that games in tournaments are not HOME games.
defeat to costa rica would be englands biggest embarrasment since 1950 v usa.

our own players are not good enough you could have no foreign players in the EPL england would still be crap ! techinque has improved because of NOT inspite of foreigners.
Back to top Go down

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 11:18 am

How good have the USA been, disappointed they couldn't hang on for the win against the diving, cheating Portuguese last night and send them home early, to see Ronaldo crying would've helped ease the pain of England's early exit.

PS. What's it been like across the pond Rickler, is the WC big news and are they right behind the team or do the vast majority still not understand or care about saaaaccer ?
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 5:22 pm

Yes.. In Los Angeles the world Cup is very big news. I'm not so sure about Boise, Idaho?

This city is very multicultural and with a huge Hispanic population, the Central and South American teams are well supported. A lot of cars fly flags of the nations they support. You see a lot of English flags in Santa Monica!

On TV it is getting more than its fair share of coverage and even non sporty people seem aware that it is going on - which is a huge change from my first one here in 1984. And of course.. The more successful the USA is, the more interest the team garners.

I have really enjoyed the World Cup, I think it is the best ever that I have seen (since 66) and with England being out, I am glad I have a 'second' team to support. It would be nice to see them beat the Germans... Yeah right... But at least with 'Team USA', I can dream....

Back to top Go down

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 6:44 pm

They'll still qualify for the last 16 even if the Germans beat them(although who'd bet against a pre-arranged draw Wink  which would mean both qualify, Jurgen is a German legend don't forget) as I feel the Portuguese will get at least a point against Ghana in a face saving exercise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Great World cup  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great World cup    Great World cup  Empty

Back to top Go down

Great World cup
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next