Coxside_Green
Freathy
X Isle
downthetrack
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Tgwu wrote:
funny man wrote:
Tgwu wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:
funny man wrote:
Everyone gains.
Not if he builds inappropriately in the park, they don't.

The sites he is after is Cottage Field and the Parks Dept land plus the site of the Pavilions, The new Pavilion with an ice ring to built on the upper car park and Cottage Field, his hotel on the Park dept land in Outland Rd, The land which he can use of the old Pavilion will be another hotel and students accommodation.

Is that a fact or an ATD "fact"?

Put the question to Mrs Viv Pengelly

It was you who said it on here. Do you KNOW that he is after those sites? In fact, you may know - I'm simply asking.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Brent was not the best offer going he was the "only" offer going as it was proved that Heaney didn't have a pot to piss in when it came to coughing up. The other offers we don't know much about so can only assume they were pretty much non starters without the details.

If I'm reading your comments rightly penzancepirate you are saying that Brent should invest a wedge despite what has been on record as his statements previously. He has always said as I recall that there will be no pot of gold even if that is vague and no amount has been stated. That says to me this is no quick fix. You are therefore advocating that he should now anti up to do what exactly? Satisfy your need to be entertained at his expense with no guarantee that you will turn up or it will be successful. Why exactly should he do that then?

To bring in a couple of more expensive players who presumably would be of the class you desire would mean paying the wages to make it happen. There is a limit impossed by the football league on how much a club can spend on wages in this league which is a percentage of it's income. What happens if he exceeds that and you don't turn up to bridge the gap along with a thousand or two others? Are there penalties like points deductions or fines. I don't know the answer to that one but assume there are penalties and neither of those are much good to us either. I have never understood why anyone would expect somebody else to stump up their money for their benefit. It's chicken and egg as it has always been. Which one comes first, the fans show their support by coming in their droves making investment more likely and assured or the investment first in the hope enough come to pay for it. If it was you paying the bills which one would you choose baring in mind you would be the one to lose out if you got it wrong. How easy it is to spend others money when there is no comeback. Maybe I've been doing this Argyle supporter thing for too long and am brainwashed into the prudent Argyle way and not having loads of money but I know which one I would want them to follow. We have tried spending loads and it failed so I am happy to sit back and let it take the time it needs and my club not go back to the brink once more.

It hasn't always been chicken and egg,which if you trawl back through a plethora of posts on this site and PASOTI,has been proven over and over again.There have been numerous occasions in Argyle's history where gates have been more than adequate for progess to be made to the top level,only the investment has never followed,the last such example being in 2004/5 when our gates were bigger than Cardiff,Swansea and Bristol City's in their respective first seasons nback in the CCC.

Coming on to more recent times,i'm really beginning to think i've lost the plot here.In my previous post,i highlighted a comment from James Brent made on completion of his takeover.I said it would be the last time i ever included it in a post,but i'm now retracting that statement.Here is again;

"There is no ambition to chuck money at the club but this is a big club and we will provide the financial support that it needs to move back to the level at which it should perform"

No argument from me with that statement.Chris Webb stated in his updates some time ago that more transfer activity would be happening in January.Pretty categorical,i would say.So,given that these statements were made by two club officials,where exactly is the problem with hoping for team strengthening in January? Are you saying that this is wrong or that the signing of Darren Purse and all the other players who arrived in December shouldn't have taken place? I'm not trying to be hostile or awkward,i genuinely can't see what your argument is.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 8:11 pm

Argument is fine greenskin, it's what makes the world go round. I am not advocating no signings and have never said we should'nt. Purse and Chadwick were a godsend and we ought to make it permanent for both which I believe will happen anyway. I would like to see another couple of players also but within the financial framework we can afford. There is a note at the bottom of penzancepirate's post which asks why he should pay to be bored and also says he is a stay away. Now that is a matter of choice for everyone and again I have no problem with that even if I wish it would be different. But it also says to me that he expects somebody else to finance his entertainment without any guarantee he and many others will do their bit in attending. I do have a problem with that as nobody should expect others cash to be used solely for their benefit. Being a football supporter is not the same as following a boy or girl band in the entertainment stakes. Maybe it should be but it isn't. I want to be entertained and for success to accompany it but I am also a realist and know that isn't always going to be the case. I would take average and success or even poor and success after the last 3 years. Stoke are a prime example of this where fans are now kicking off about the style of Pullis football. After years of nothingness they are in the premiership and Europe. Short memory syndrome me thinks. When we were in the Championship and hovering on the playoffs there was a choice of going for bust and risking succeeding or failure. Yes we chickened out but the chances of success was great as there were numerous others going for the same thing and only one of them would win out. I agreed with what they did at the time although again it is an argument with two sides. The fans clamoured for investment and the then board did not have the financial clout to do it themselves. They sought it outside and the rest of it is now history. However, had the fans not clamoured when less were coming month on month and the board had not listened who would say we would not still be in the Championship now and none of the last 3 years would have happened. Where would you rather be right now. All I'm saying is that Brent does not owe us anything and I would not want to see the same mistakes happen again.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:30 pm

Sensible Greeny speaks for me, nowt to add except maybe some paragraphs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
There is a note at the bottom of penzancepirate's post which asks why he should pay to be bored and also says he is a stay away. Now that is a matter of choice for everyone and again I have no problem with that even if I wish it would be different. But it also says to me that he expects somebody else to finance his entertainment

I think you've missed my point entirely, Captain. cat
As for guarantees and sure fire certs in return for investing in a business, there are none. Kevin costner's "Build it and they will come" was about something else entirely. You produce a product and judge enough people will buy it. If that's not one's bag, don't go into business.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:51 pm

AWOL means absent and the question why should you pay good money to be bored says to me that you are not satisfied with what is on offer and pressumably won't return until you are. It follows therefore that you expect the owners of Argyle to invest on your behalf so you won't be bored. If that is not what you are saying then please tell me what you do mean because I can't see any other interpretation.

My appologies for the lack of paragraphs X-Isle I will try to do better in future. You see I've started already.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
you expect the owners of Argyle to invest on your behalf so you won't be bored.

I'll tell you what I don't want. A new owner to be spending my gate receipts that should have gone toward building a new football team, on paying off the ex owners who should have been forced to accept bigger losses than they did.

My signature is slightly out of date now Ridsdale has gone off searching for another easy earner. I will return on a regular basis when I am happy the club has turned away from property matters in the park and is ready to concentrate on football. In the meantime I will probably go to the odd match now due to social considerations ..... as many fans know, a football match is often more the social day out than it is the football. People attend matches for a myriad of reasons, some even because they can't think of anything else to do and it is purely a habit as sure as propping up the bar.

Sometimes investment is needed, but I was massively against Sturrock's reckless spending ... absolutely reckless. Football is not a matter of no spending at all or £17m debt leading to administration. It wouldn't take much to get out of this league as was proved very quickly by Mccauley letting go of the reins he was holding for all the wrong reasons. Where this club went wrong was inviting a bunch of property gamblers to join in, spending paper property appreciations that were never in the bank in hard cash, and letting a football manager go wild in the country.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 8:27 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
My apologies for the lack of paragraphs X-Isle I will try to do better in future. You see I've started already.

I is only kiddin SG, this isn't PASOTI.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 10:10 am

penzancepirate wrote:
Sensiblegreeny wrote:
you expect the owners of Argyle to invest on your behalf so you won't be bored.

I'll tell you what I don't want. A new owner to be spending my gate receipts that should have gone toward building a new football team, on paying off the ex owners who should have been forced to accept bigger losses than they did.

My signature is slightly out of date now Ridsdale has gone off searching for another easy earner. I will return on a regular basis when I am happy the club has turned away from property matters in the park and is ready to concentrate on football. In the meantime I will probably go to the odd match now due to social considerations ..... as many fans know, a football match is often more the social day out than it is the football. People attend matches for a myriad of reasons, some even because they can't think of anything else to do and it is purely a habit as sure as propping up the bar.

Sometimes investment is needed, but I was massively against Sturrock's reckless spending ... absolutely reckless. Football is not a matter of no spending at all or £17m debt leading to administration. It wouldn't take much to get out of this league as was proved very quickly by Mccauley letting go of the reins he was holding for all the wrong reasons. Where this club went wrong was inviting a bunch of property gamblers to join in, spending paper property appreciations that were never in the bank in hard cash, and letting a football manager go wild in the country.

See you. Monday pp ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 10:38 am

I have arranged to attend. I am not looking forward to it one little bit. All my sources have said it is still woeful and they don't know why they bother..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 11:05 am

penzancepirate wrote:
I have arranged to attend. I am not looking forward to it one little bit. All my sources have said it is still woeful and they don't know why they bother..

My god you're a bundle of joy ! Enjoy your day and enjoy the win Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 10:47 pm

I attend because I'm a complete saddo and would not know what else to do on a match day. I love my football club and being part of a host of other saddo's. I was born and bred in this City and could never ever think of supporting anyone else. I can admire good football elsewhere aka the old Leeds team of the early 70's for example but could never support them or even claim to just to be on a winning side. This is my City it's as simple as that good or bad and is why a number of others do exactly the same. I never expect anyone to give me anything in life not even my football team which makes it all the sweeter when you get odd periods of success.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 am

penzancepirate wrote:

I hope your attendance will bring the team some luck tomorrow and good football.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 4:55 pm

It's nearly 5pm on Jan 1st and we haven't signed a blood thing so far. Disgraceful we are bound to be relegated now. Sack everyone, let nobody be spared.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
It's nearly 5pm on Jan 1st and we haven't signed a blood thing so far. Disgraceful we are bound to be relegated now. Sack everyone, let nobody be spared.

Bloody right!

Let's close up HP and ground share with Albion. We could still be PAFC, Plymouth Albion FC. After all they look well dodgy. Lets grow beards and have a bucket collection in Saltash.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 10:06 pm

Lucky for me I didn't shave this morning so just pop out to my shed for the bucket and I'll be right with you. If I go to Saltash do I haved to pay to get back?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 11:06 pm

People still see this polarity between not spending money and "what happened last time". We wouldn't need much investment to see us right in this league, it's a very poor league. I'd like to see us competitive, if we sold Bhasera and didn't see an equivalent amount go back into the pot, I'd be pretty pissed off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD    ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD  - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

ARE THEY FRIGGING MAD
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: