Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?

Go down 
+6
shonbo
Czarcasm
Charlie Wood
125+1
swampy
Nick
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nick

Nick

Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? Empty
PostSubject: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Just perused this article on The Guardian wbesite that, in light of Scholes re-signing for Man Yoo and Henry for the Arse, asked Premier League club fans which former player they'd bring back to the club. Could be one still playing or one long-retired (Rooney was the Everton fan's shout, Dennis Law the Man Yoo choice).

So, which of our former players, if they were in their prime, would you bring back to help us out of our current predicament? (And yes, I'd plump for Mason, Mackie, Norris et al from the recent Great Home Park Firesales but that's not really the point of the article/thread.)

I'd go for Tommy T.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Coughlan at the back.
Ernie Machin in the middle.
Aside from the obvious Rafferty & Mariner up front - I'd go for Micky Evans for his ability to hold the ball up and be awkward.
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 3:36 pm

In their prime. Well there's only one candidate. Obviously Mariner an England World Cup striker.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 3:39 pm

We could have Shilton back. didn't he nearly bankrupt the club?

Oh, hang on.....................
Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Paul Dalton was one of my favs, but i also liked Nicky Marker and Tommy Tynan
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 4:21 pm

He was there last week against Torquay, should have brought his boots...Mike Bickle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Charlie Wood wrote:
He was there last week against Torquay, should have brought his boots...Mike Bickle.

Now you're talking!!!! I didn't choose him because even now he would be too good to be picked up by us.
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:00 pm

Was it Snozzle we picked him up from at the time?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:16 pm

swampy wrote:
Was it Snozzle we picked him up from at the time?

Yes, according to Wikipedia.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:26 pm

125+1 wrote:

Paul Dalton was one of my favs, but i also liked Nicky Marker and Tommy Tynan

Dalton was, and still is my favourite Argyle player, in the most entertaining side I've ever watched.

Oh to roll back the years and have him and Super Stevie Castle in our midfield. Sad
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Would have to be Mariner. Saw him make his debut for the reserves and I kid you not, the ball was cleared off the line, he rose salmon like, trapped the ball on his head, brought it down to his feet and fired it back at goal. Pretty sure he scored but its a long long time ago Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:29 pm

Would have said Paul Wotton but recent reports from Yeovil fans suggest thats a terrible idea.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:31 pm

1,Paul Mariner
2.Paul Mariner
3.Paul Mariner

Quite simply a class act and the best player to pull on the green shirt.Feel sorry for anyone too young to remember him [which must number quite a few by now].
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Paul Mariner was Ok but he didn't look like Elvis.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:55 pm

Greenskin wrote:
1,Paul Mariner
2.Paul Mariner
3.Paul Mariner

Quite simply a class act and the best player to pull on the green shirt.Feel sorry for anyone too young to remember him [which must number quite a few by now].

This. Having seen him in his prime, covered in the mud of Home Park, is fair compensation for being this old (ish).

If I'd ever seen them, I'd probably also be arguing for the likes of Jack Leslie, Sammy Black, Jack Cock, Ray Bowden ... But then I am a bit of an anorak Cool
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 6:01 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Feel sorry for anyone too young to remember him [which must number quite a few by now].

Alas only in his second stint at the club. I was only two years old when he went off to East Anglia the first time around. My grandfather used to wax lyrical about him and Rafferty, though
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 6:02 pm

peter swann
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Steve Castle, Friio, Coughlan or marker- sorry for being greedy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Mariner was before my time, so I can't really choose him. Tynan was a great poacher but did little else, but then he was paid to score goals. So mine would be a close call between Norris and Friio, with Norris just getting my vote.

I would have to give an honourable mention to Alan Nicholls who I thought was a superb keeper, but he also used to take the mickey out of the away fans and strikers and just loved playing up to the crowd. Such a shame he died so young. At one stage he was the England U-21 keeper, but he lived a different life to how he maybe should've if he wanted to fulfill his potential.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 6:18 pm

Peggy wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
1,Paul Mariner
2.Paul Mariner
3.Paul Mariner

This. Having seen him in his prime, covered in the mud of Home Park, is fair compensation for being this old (ish).

If I'd ever seen them, I'd probably also be arguing for the likes of Jack Leslie, Sammy Black, Jack Cock, Ray Bowden ... But then I am a bit of an anorak Cool

I met Raymond Bowden when i was a wee nipper and continued to buy my cricket and football gear from his shop until it closed,very nice chap as i remember.I think he's got some connection to Tringreen,family wise.My grandfather saw all of those players that you mention,he used to wax lyrical about Sammy Black but Paul Mariner was his favourite player,which shows how Mariner transcended the generations.35 England caps tell their own story.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 7:48 pm

This thread is a bit like the ones asking for your favourite team. So I'm going to be really greedy.

Coughlin, Wotton, Dalton, Friio, Tynan, Rafferty, Castle, Nelson, Nallis and probably a few others if I really thought about it. McCormack in between the posts despite why he left. Either him or Nichols.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:04 pm

during my time watching Argyle (since 1954) there have been two outstanding players, Paul Mariner and Johnny Williams, surprised nobody has mentioned Williams also Wilf Carter who was an earlier version of Tommy Tynan.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:15 pm

pepsipete wrote:
during my time watching Argyle (since 1954) there have been two outstanding players, Paul Mariner and Johnny Williams, surprised nobody has mentioned Williams also Wilf Carter who was an earlier version of Tommy Tynan.

What about Tony Book and Norman Piper?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:17 pm

Well in my time of supporting the greens:

Paul Wotton - hard woker, loved the club and you could bet your house on him netting a penalty.

Halmosi - Fast, skilfull and always running, really liked him.

Summerfield - effort rate was top notch, good eye for a pass and did not deserve the stick

BWP - just a general superb finisher and a nice guy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Greenskin wrote:
1,Paul Mariner
2.Paul Mariner
3.Paul Mariner

I remember one of the best goals I ever saw at HP. A ball was played out of defence onto the head of Billy Rafferty who was on the half-way line. Rafferty simply flicked it on into the path of Mariner who ran onto it as if he knew where the flick was going and as if Rafferty knew where Mariner was going to run - without either of them missing a beat. Mariner ran on to knock it easily past the stranded keeper. Three passes from defence. Quite sublime!

I'd have the bloke who kicked it out of defence onto Rafferty's head.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?   Which former player would you bring back to Argyle? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which former player would you bring back to Argyle?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next