Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Studio School   Studio School EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 8:20 pm

Here's the latest: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 8:35 pm

Ah, the euphimistic sudio schools.
I think we all know this country, and it's young folk, need decent valuable apprenticeships, so long discarded by the Thatcher/Blair era. Only recently this month, government has been complaining that many many "apprenticeships" being offered by the private, and public sector, are nowhere near good enough, and often involve the same old tea making etc. In fact it's so bad it's giving the whle idea a bad name.
This school will basically bring back and legalise child labour under the guise of schoolwork, and poorly paid labour at that. If unions, voters, and parents aren't careful, their children will be segregated at the age of 13 and put out to work, up to 2 days a week. If you don't kick up, liberties WILL be taken as sure as night follows day.
Glad to see yet another institution has twigged Brent's inability to get any property project fully underway, but I just question where education is going. Still, providers aren't too bothered about that, as long as there's a bit of dosh at the end of it.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 8:48 pm

this is the part I liked

The two-storey building will be situated on the campus of The University of St Mark and St John.

The school was originally planned for a site next to Home Park but funding issues meant bosses had to have a rethink.

Has Brent still having funding issues?
Back to top Go down

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 8:54 pm

Tgwu wrote:
this is the part I liked

The two-storey building will be situated on the campus of The University of St Mark and St John.

The school was originally planned for a site next to Home Park but funding issues meant bosses had to have a rethink.

Has Brent still have funding issues?

The issue was, he (or his 'professional ' staff) neglected to apply for th funding for the studio school within the correct timeframe.

Don't be too harsh on him though. It's the sort of oversight that could happen to anyone. Anyone who hasn't got a clue what they're doing, that is.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 8:58 pm

Link not working for me, posted on the wrong board, apart from that many thanks Francis. cheers
Back to top Go down

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 9:03 pm

You don't need to read the Herald detail, Asti. It's probably written by Pieface anyway.
And yes, thanks Frank. Glad someone else is brave enough to negotiate the Herald website.

Last edited by Sir John Hawkins on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 9:04 pm

What about the funding for the Art Centre that was to been built in the Civic Centre car park?
I seen yesterday where his funding are being spend, and it is being spend well.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 9:05 pm

AstiSpumante wrote:
Link not working for me, posted on the wrong board, apart from that many thanks Francis. cheers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks T&G. Home park gets a very slight mention so Francis just about escapes the hangman and Sir John, Yes.
Back to top Go down

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 9:23 pm

Frankly, if I were PCC, I would be very worried indeed that the whole Pavillions/ice rink thing is going to drag on for years and years.
This Brent character really does seem the sort that just slowly, slowly sits on and squashes the heralded plan, attaches a padlock and waits. A slightly different version of Sutton Harbour Holdings, with much the same speculative methodology.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 9:29 pm

Tgwu wrote:
What about the funding for the Art Centre that was to been built in the Civic Centre car park?
I seen yesterday where his funding are being spend, and it is being spend well.

Teignmouth

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 9:05 am

Sir John Hawkins wrote:
Frankly, if I were PCC, I would be very worried indeed that the whole Pavillions/ice rink thing is going to drag on for years and years.
This Brent character really does seem the sort that just slowly, slowly sits on and squashes the heralded plan, attaches a padlock and waits. A slightly different version of Sutton Harbour Holdings, with much the same speculative methodology.

Torbay council are having the same problems seeing Oldway mothballed for what seems ever.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 9:29 am

Sir John Hawkins wrote:
I think we all know this country, and it's young folk, need decent valuable apprenticeships, so long discarded by the Thatcher/Blair era. Only recently this month, government has been complaining that many many "apprenticeships" being offered by the private, and public sector, are nowhere near good enough, and often involve the same old tea making etc. In fact it's so bad it's giving the whle idea a bad name.
This school will basically bring back and legalise child labour under the guise of schoolwork, and poorly paid labour at that. If unions, voters, and parents aren't careful, their children will be segregated at the age of 13 and put out to work, up to 2 days a week. If you don't kick up, liberties WILL be taken as sure as night follows day.
Glad to see yet another institution has twigged Brent's inability to get any property project fully underway, but I just question where education is going. Still, providers aren't too bothered about that, as long as there's a bit of dosh at the end of it.

"Apprenticeship" is one of those words which has been redefined ("incentivise" is another). Back in the day a callow youth would rock up somewhere and begin the preocess of learning a trade. They didn't get paid much but they had some job security ahead of them and the likelihood of moving on into proper employment ("on their tools") as a plumber, sparky, joiner, mechanic, whatever. It was a well trodden path offering the youngster something and the onus was on the employer to plan ahead and keep the apprenticeship production line rolling to cater for its own needs.

These days we can't even plan ahead and train enough doctors and nurses and proper apprenticeships (as were) are virtually non-existant having been replaced by traineeships burger-flipping and shelf-stacking. Now I'm as happy to eat a burger or shop somewhere as anybody else is but a burger-flipper is about as close to being a chef as a modern apprenticeship is to a traditional one. They just aren't the same thing at all.

Perhaps Plymouth was lucky that it had a dockyard... Virtually every family I knew of had at least one yardie in it and as a 16 year old the Dockyard Exam (with an apprenticeship offered to applicants pro rata to their performance in it: top scorers typically became electricians; bottom scorers got to push a brooom around; everybody in between became a shipwright - sort of) offered avery real alternative to the academic path of "A" levels and university. Now there's hardly any apprenticeships and university is going to bung you £50k (more than 2 years gross income for most!) into debt.

All of which is very sad. I really feel for today's youth. They have so little opportunity ahead of them and the things that generations before them (apprenticeships, free higher education, affordable housing, a wage they can actually live on, increasing independence) took for granted are now more distant than they have ever been in my working lifetime. It's not only irresponsible and myopic but an abnegation of responsibilty from those with  power to our youth... a complete disgrace.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 9:48 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 9:48 am

How apposite to follow SFD's excellent words

Prospects for young people have worsened
Back to top Go down

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 10:42 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Sir John Hawkins wrote:

"Apprenticeship" is one of those words which has been redefined ("incentivise" is another). Back in the day a callow youth would rock up somewhere and begin the preocess of learning a trade. They didn't get paid much but they had some job security ahead of them and the likelihood of moving on into proper employment ("on their tools") as a plumber, sparky, joiner, mechanic, whatever. It was a well trodden path offering the youngster something and the onus was on the employer to plan ahead and keep the apprenticeship production line rolling to cater for its own needs.

These days we can't even plan ahead and train enough doctors and nurses and proper apprenticeships (as were) are virtually non-existant having been replaced by traineeships burger-flipping and shelf-stacking. Now I'm as happy to eat a burger or shop somewhere as anybody else is but a burger-flipper is about as close to being a chef as a modern apprenticeship is to a traditional one. They just aren't the same thing at all.

Perhaps Plymouth was lucky that it had a dockyard... Virtually every family I knew of had at least one yardie in it and as a 16 year old the Dockyard Exam (with an apprenticeship offered to applicants pro rata to their performance in it: top scorers typically became electricians; bottom scorers got to push a brooom around; everybody in between became a shipwright - sort of) offered avery real alternative to the academic path of "A" levels and university. Now there's hardly any apprenticeships and university is going to bung you £50k (more than 2 years gross income for most!) into debt.

All of which is very sad. I really feel for today's youth. They have so little opportunity ahead of them and the things that generations before them (apprenticeships, free higher education, affordable housing, a wage they can actually live on, increasing independence) took for granted are now more distant than they have ever been in my working lifetime. It's not only irresponsible and myopic but an abnegation of responsibilty from those with  power to our youth... a complete disgrace.

Nor are they ever likely to own their own homes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Studio School Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studio School   Studio School Empty

Back to top Go down

Studio School
Page 1 of 1