harvetheslayer
Les Miserable
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

Going up/not going up  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going up/not going up    Going up/not going up  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 6:12 pm

You can tell how serious a club Argyle are, by whats allowed to waddle around the Directors box.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Going up/not going up    Going up/not going up  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Greenskin wrote:
zyph wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
zyph wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
zyph wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
On current footballing form there is a high potential we will gain promotion. However being football, factor in a form 'wobble' a some point, injuries and the vultures circling in the January window, nothing is at all certain.
The biggest concern for me is Brent's supposed finacial support. Already Adams has moaned re not being able to afford the Carlisle player. Again no leadership from Brent or words of ambition re 'going for promotion', he is clearly happy to sit back and let whatever happens.
The guy is uselss as an owner and ultimately will undermine the progress of the club. Interesting discussion during the commentary btween Sparksy and Errington to fans disquiet about financing any promo push.
COYG
BRENT OUT.

Your right in saying that Brent could undermine the progress of the club.....he had a good chance of doing that when they where in administration.....he could of just walked away and left PAFC to sink without trace ..........that would of of been a case of sitting back and let whatever happens wouldn't it ?

Zyph, if you truly believe that Brent 'rescued' Argyle for footballing reasons rather than what he perceived to be an easy money making development opportunity you are extremely naive.

Naive = Green or Oblivious

Green = Healthy or Flourishing........38pts suggests somethings going right....or is that being too positive for you.

So what's your take on the longer term then? IYHO, is the future of Argyle "healthy and flourishing" bearing in mind that nine tenths of piss all seems to have been done to enhance the infrastructure of the club or to attract the further financing that the club will need if it is to progress up the leagues? Or is it enough to say 38 points and sod the long term, just as people did in all those other false dawns in the past?

Green = Healthy or Flourishing....that was for Asti to comment on.

All that I will say Greenskin is that there are 23 other clubs in Div2 that would love to have 38pts come mid November.

Not much of an answer to be honest.

Well that's encouraging then.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Going up/not going up    Going up/not going up  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 7:13 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Homeslice wrote:
Certainly there were members of my family - my Grandfather in particular, who always held the view that when Argyle finished second for about 5 years running in the 50's, there was a particular policy of avoiding promotion because the Board of the time weren't equipped to cope with a rise up the leagues.

A lot of people of that generation said the same thing.Never believed it,used to think "silly old buggers" when it was said,just like i did with my grandfather when he used to say that we'd wake up one morning and Mariner would be gone.We all know how that turned out and what the consequences were for the next 10 years,just as we're still paying for the pusillanimous cop out by the board in 2007.Remember getting a bit excited when Holloway was in charge and saying to a golf playing mate, who is interested in football generally but not an Argyle fan, that this could be the year-"it'll be too hot for Argyle to handle" was his verdict.Yeah well..........

My old Dad used to say the same. 'We'll never see them in Division 1'

To be honest, I think it's been a combination of things over the years. We've never really had a side capable of getting there, with the exception of Dave Smith's side, and Holloway's team. Boards have been happy to piddle along in the lower leagues with no stress, but with those two managers, the respective boards completely bottled it. They had no ambition and no vision and it frightened them both to death that their football club may possibly reach the top division.

This current owner has no ambition for the football club to be successful. We may well get promotion at the end of this season. That would be terrific for the fans and a bonus may be that it may make the club easier to sell to someone who has the vision and the wherewithall to take the club further on and off the pitch.

We can but hope.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Going up/not going up    Going up/not going up  - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 7:16 pm

Like a few recent seasons (albeit for avoiding relegation), January will be key to future success. Carey possibly will leave as we have no chance in competing, wage-wise, with Championship clubs. But we need to make sure we keep other key players (Reid, Jervis, Nelson etc). If we were to sell one of our better players they need to be replaced with equally good players (not a Norburn etc). The moans from DA about the budget are slightly worrying, but the team is still playing well and is flexible enough to cover injuries. I do worry about the GK position if McCormick's injury is long- term, I have not seen a lot of Bittner, but even Exeter fans have said he was a very average conference player (perhaps the quality of our defence will help him?).

As greenskin suggests if we are looking to move to the higher end of league 1/ Championship we cannot rely on our infrastructure. Brent seems to need help from AFT/ Green Taverners etc to provide funds for the youth team (e.g. Milk Cup) and stadium maintenance- again not a good sign.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going up/not going up    Going up/not going up  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Going up/not going up
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: