tigertony
RegGreen
Tgwu
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 7:33 am

DANNY SALMAN: Plymouth Argyle performances have been encouraging

Do you agree? I think he got it spot on about Reid

ALL you can do in the first game of the season is try and get a result and that is exactly what Plymouth Argyle did on Saturday against AFC Wimbledon.

The defence seemed to hold out in the early stages and we managed to get two goals and three points.

That is all you can ask for and confidence will start to grow.

That win was a terrific start for Derek Adams and the boys and it is great that Gregg Wylde and Graham Carey opened their accounts with a goal.

I spoke last season about the need for midfielders to score goals and the goals against Wimbledon will help to boost confidence.

Everybody needs to chip in with goals if a team is to be successful, so if you can get a midfielder or two in double figures and your centre-halves with five or 10 then you will be in a good place.

The way that Adams set out his team allowed on loan midfielder Hiram Boateng to get forward occasionally and he looked impressive against Gillingham in midweek.

I am still worried about Reuben Reid as he did not look very good on Tuesday night.

At times Reid is unplayable, there is no denying that, but it is few and far between.

If you take away his penalties and then look at the amount of games he has scored in, it won’t be as many as people like to think.

I wouldn’t say he was prolific, which is why we cannot rely on just him to score for us.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 8:06 am

I agree for them 20 goals he did score he did miss a hell of a lotta chances as well when sometimes it would have been easier to score but heres a hoping one of the new signings can step up replace alasandra's goals contribution
Back to top Go down

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 8:21 am

Dear old Danny still bashing it out Very Happy  I think Danny's favourite view is that of himself. Here he is in a natty James Bond number.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ruben Reid always flattered to deceive, even as a youngster, and it's too late for him to change now. Trigger couldn't score for toffee but what a player. Reid has been good enough in this poor league, but would struggle in League 1 if Argyle ever get a sniff of it in his time. He might find Adams' system doesn't suit him. Playing up front, sometimes solo, can be the most difficult  position under a new system with new players. The new boys definitely look an improvement on the previous. Argyle haven't had any decent midfielders who can threaten since the like of Norris left. I never even took to the Aviva doyen Hourihane in a green/yellow/stripey/whatever shirt. Hope he has improved wherever he is.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 1:18 pm

Tgwu wrote:
DANNY SALMAN: Plymouth Argyle performances have been encouraging

If you take away his penalties and then look at the amount of games he has scored in, it won’t be as many as people like to think.

I wouldn’t say he was prolific, which is why we cannot rely on just him to score for us.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Can't this guy go and report on John O'Groats FC?
RR's ratio of pens to goals is about 24%
Alan Shearer's was 22%
Non-story!!

''........ we cannot rely on just him to score for us'' Could that be why DA has signed some goal scoring midfielders?
Jog on please Danny ... jog on!
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Danny Salman's an appalling pundit with a ridiculous first name, I don' think anyone takes him too seriously anymore
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 1:33 pm

He does seem to have a problem with RR.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 2:20 pm

Paven wrote:
Danny Salman's an appalling pundit with a ridiculous first name, I don' think anyone takes him too seriously anymore.

I quite like him, thought the article was fair and don't have a problem with him being called Danis due to the fact that his father was a Cypriot or something, what excuse do your parents have for naming you Josh? geek
Back to top Go down

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 2:42 pm

I've always thought his football comments have been pretty accurate. He has worked for the press assoc so I guess he's not dependent on the club in the way some far more famous Plymouthians in history are.

A public voice in the media who has experienced the club and it's ways first hand, but not being "in house" as it were, makes for a pleasant change what with all the fawning, praising and general worship that bears no resemblance to reality. That has to be a good thing
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 4:11 pm

Danny Salman, decent player good pro knows about football you would think, unlike the Brief Synopsis/ Match report Bores who have probably never played football unless it was with their mum on playstation! Danny is independent like has been said which makes a refreshing change in the Brent Toadie world Argyle now inhabit.
Back to top Go down

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 5:17 pm

Paven wrote:
Danny Salman's an appalling pundit with a ridiculous first name, I don' think anyone takes him too seriously anymore.

Take it easy Enoch.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 5:22 pm

There's a reason Reid is playing 4th division football. He isn't the complete footballer. But he is a multiple 20 goal striker in this league, so he's alright by me. It's stating the obvious, but if he had the talent to convert say 50% more of the chances he gets, he wouldn't be playing for us.

Just be happy we have a 20 goal striker on our books for the first time in 20odd years innit?
Back to top Go down

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 5:46 pm

I do agree with Salman's point about Reid being a tad overrated by supporters.

If you take penalties away, he scored the same as Alessandra last season from open play, I can't remember if it was 12 or 13 each.

Do people regard Alessandra as 'prolific', 'irreplaceable', and 'too important to contemplate selling for £200k/£300k/£500k'?

Alessandra left and no one was overly bothered, and he's been replaced by a couple of SPL players who look more than adequate replacements.

12 or 13 goals from 46 games plus cup matches and two playoff games really isn't a great deal.

I dare say if Jervis had a full season of a 50 match campaign with penalty responsibilities, he'd be there or thereabouts the 20 goal mark, and Brunt/Smalley wouldn't be far behind.

Reid's 'stats' look great against all others because he has significantly more time on the pitch and umpteen opportunities over the season to shoot from 12 yards without a defence in the way.

This all said he's a bloody good player and I'm glad to have him, just wish Brunt's attitude would rub off on him and he'd try a bit harder for those headers and loose passes sometimes.
Back to top Go down

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
There's a reason Reid is playing 4th division football. He isn't the complete footballer. But he is a multiple 20 goal striker in this league, so he's alright by me. It's stating the obvious, but if he had the talent to convert say 50% more of the chances he gets, he wouldn't be playing for us.

Just be happy we have a 20 goal striker on our books for the first time in 20odd years innit?

Zackly, without his 40 gaols we would have been fighting relegation again, trouble is too many people blow smoke up the arses of four goal midfielders, if we had three Reids we'd be in league 1 now.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 8:35 am

ejh wrote:

If you take penalties away, he scored the same as Alessandra last season from open play, I can't remember if it was 12 or 13 each.

Do people regard Alessandra as 'prolific', 'irreplaceable', and 'too important to contemplate selling for £200k/£300k/£500k'?

Alessandra left and no one was overly bothered, and he's been replaced by a couple of SPL players who look more than adequate replacements.

12 or 13 goals from 46 games plus cup matches and two playoff games really isn't a great deal.

I dare say if Jervis had a full season of a 50 match campaign with penalty responsibilities, he'd be there or thereabouts the 20 goal mark, and Brunt/Smalley wouldn't be far behind.

Reid's 'stats' look great against all others because he has significantly more time on the pitch and umpteen opportunities over the season to shoot from 12 yards without a defence in the way.

This all said he's a bloody good player and I'm glad to have him, just wish Brunt's attitude would rub off on him and he'd try a bit harder for those headers and loose passes sometimes.

I'm perplexed as to how you can come to that conclusion, as his best efforts to date amount to a uber-modest 5 goals in 28 games for Ross County last year.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 8:55 am

Reid is a good player when fully fit- our great form at the start of last season was largely down to Reid, his pace and strength and fair finishing. But when he was injured and unable to train he became a passenger- Reid struggled/ Argyle struggled. I take the point that Alessandra scored a similar amount from open play, but I think if he were injured/ lost form it would not affect the team so much as it did when Reid was injured. I didn't mind Shez but playing Reid game after game after the injury he suffered at Exeter was a mistake- but we did only have Brunt/Ansah as back up- both of whom were fairly unproven (but did look good at Shrewsbury).

We now have Reid/ Jervis/ Brunt who can play the main striker position so should have more options if one were injured/ lost form (although they may have to play the winger/ wide forward position if we were short in those areas).
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 9:22 am

I disagree with the Alessandra analysis. Nobody wanted him to go but it was extremely well signposted that it was going to happen, surprised nobody when it eventually happened his contract was up and any potential fee was irrelevant.

Was he a good player for us? Yes. Undoubtedly. Irreplaceable? No. Nobody is. Difficult to replace? Certainly. That said on first viewing Tanner certainly has someting of the Allessandras about him.

As for penalties... I don't think it matters how many you score - it's how many you don't that is the measure for success.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 11:00 am

Czarcasm wrote:
ejh wrote:

I'm perplexed as to how you can come to that conclusion, as his best efforts to date amount to a uber-modest 5 goals in 28 games for Ross County last year.

And here we find the reason that Shez was said to have not got the most out of his players, too many players were said to have been exceptional quality whilst having no history whatsoever of achieving anything other than the odd league 2 goal. It's all in their minds.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 11:17 am

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Danny Salman, decent player good pro knows about football you would think, unlike the Brief Synopsis/ Match report Bores who have probably never played football unless it was with their mum on playstation! Danny is independent like has been said which makes a refreshing change in the Brent Toadie world Argyle now inhabit.

Yep.

He tells it as he sees it, which is the way it should be. He's got no particular axe to grind with the club as far as I'm aware and when you read his articles I think they're pretty well balanced and fair. That sometimes involves criticism which obviously upsets the avivas both on here and elsewhere.

Good for him Very Happy
Back to top Go down

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 4:26 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Was he a good player for us? Yes. Undoubtedly. Irreplaceable? No. Nobody is.

I couldn't disagree more with that lazy statement. It goes nowhere. You might as well trot out you don't have to be mad, but it helps. In my experience playing, the odd individuals were absolutely irreplaceable. Don't get fooled it's just a "team" thing. It sometimes isn't.  Some activities on occasion, just ARE the essence of one soul, whether you like it or not. Not often I grant you, but then that's the whole point of being exceptional, rather than just another head to put another Aviva hat on.

Steve McCall was irreplaceable. Unbeatable when in the team, half as effective when he was injured, which was sadly quite often.
Argyle without Mariner were a different club. He still hasn't been replaced. Le Tissier WAS Southampton for many years
You underestimate the value of comparatively exceptional individuals. There haven't been any exceptionals down here for a long time. This is League 2, in the age of Brent. Real talents have a sense of smell.
Back to top Go down

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 5:14 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Paven wrote:

I quite like him, thought the article was fair and don't have a problem with him being called Danis due to the fact that his father was a Cypriot or something, what excuse do your parents have for naming you Josh? geek

very un-liberal of you Josh
Back to top Go down

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 6:23 pm

What makes you think Josh is a liberal minded soul, Al. This is a football forum, the odds are against it. He's just hopped back to the home of badly thought out authoritarian edicts and wrapped knuckles. Some people feel at home with that sort of thing, once they accept being told where to stand and what to think.

Many just never manage to blossom  flower it's the law of average. Will probably spend most of his life trapsing up and down the motorways of Britain for a mundane wage and a mundane life, as is the Pasoti way. Gotta keep that trinket economy afloat. I would rather be homeless.
Back to top Go down

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 6:28 pm

John Hawkins wrote:
What makes you think Josh is a liberal minded soul, Al. This is a football forum, the odds are against it. He's just hopped back to the home of badly thought out authoritarian edicts and wrapped knuckles. Some people feel at home with that sort of thing, once they accept being told where to stand and what to think.

Many just never manage to blossom  flower it's the law of average. Will probably spend most of his life trapsing up and down the motorways of Britain for a mundane wage and a mundane life, as is the Pasoti way. Gotta keep that trinket economy afloat. I would rather be homeless.

Careful you'll offend the Protestant work ethic in a minute. Conform, work, die and try and believe in heaven cos its the best you're life will get. cheers
Back to top Go down

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptyFri Aug 14, 2015 6:50 pm

They don't even believe in a heaven. It's not scientifik-like.
They believe in fear, the dollar, and Steve Jobs. Great name for the man that made it trendy to be always on call, and being spied on and tracked every second of your day. Whatever did happen to peace dividend and the fork lift truck dividend "that does the work of 50 men"
The work ethic argument is something to keep under yer Sunday bonnet. A bit like keeping stum how green and pleasant it is down here. Yes, there are Mobile blind spots where your boss can't reach you, but I guess we'll just have to live with that.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 4:29 am

The guy is entitled to his view but I'm amazed that so many people (not just him) are looking the gifthorse of Reuben Reid squarely in the mouth.

It may be true that he isn't THAT good of a goalscorer when you take his penalties out of the equation. But that's not always the point. Quite simply, he's not Caolan Lavery. He's a different type of player. He offers far far more than merely goals- and his goal record ain't half bad either.

Even when he isn't scoring, he can drop deep, he can win you balls and then distribute them well. He can link with his wingers, his midfielders and (when applicable) his strike partner. Remember the home games before his injury got too bad last season? Remember the countless times in which he would win the ball in an opportune position (a little bit shy of the 18 yard box, say) and would just get his head down and charge past the defenders into the box as though they weren't there? Not only was this aesthetically pleasing, it is a skill level far beyond that which most League Two forwards are capable of. And it very often got us goals and/or assists. He isn't 'lazy.' He just preserves his energy levels so that he's capable of doing this and winning us points. He's built like a sprinter, not a marathon runner.

When he's fully fit he has pace, he has power, he has distribution, he has close control, he has a good awareness of a game and good decision making. Oh and his goalscoring ain't half bad either. If he hadn't ended up crippling himself last season to the extent where he could barely walk never mind play football, he'd have got 30 goals or more. Does it occur to his detractors that his oft-mentioned 'off days' pretty much all occurred in the same few month period where he wasn't fit? Surely that isn't a coincidence. He's an exceptional striker and we'd be buggered without him. Far better than Alessandra.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 4:34 am

John Hawkins wrote:
I never even took to the Aviva doyen Hourihane in a green/yellow/stripey/whatever shirt. Hope he has improved wherever he is.
Why does that not surprise me? Often, I think instead of any objective analysis of how good or otherwise certain players actually are, some posters on here base it purely on their personal perception of what makes a stylish or likeable player. Inevitably it leads to pre-conceived opinions regardless of how good or otherwise certain players are for us. If their face fits with the Avivas, they must be an establishment stooge of a player. Does the logic extend as far as supporting the maverick outsider even if they aren't actually any good?

I seem to recall a certain previous poster whose posting style seems fairly familiar say once upon a time that Alan Judge would never amount to much in football and was only milking a career thanks to the reputation gained in his early pro years. That one didn't exactly turn out great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty
PostSubject: Re: DANNY SALMAN VIEW   DANNY SALMAN VIEW Empty

Back to top Go down

DANNY SALMAN VIEW
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next