Tringreen
Mr President
Czarcasm
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mr President

Well done lads/men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Cerbera wrote:
Chris, saw your mate Newell in the Brit, sitting all by himself, have you had a lover's tiff? I see you were mumbling a load of bull to the sheep in the Pyramid. Is there a divorce coming?

No you didn't did you because he was at the fansfest.

Getting your Brittania/Pyramid mixed up?

Argyle or Exeter today? scratch
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 5:32 pm

I think its an idea that has been mooted on pasoti (singers block etc) for a number of seasons,and it has also been mentioned in John Lloyd'ssurveys. It will be a good idea if it comes off- and its more likely to work if Chris is organising/ backing this.

As mentioned the suggested Ultras blocks, is close to the family area, but most of the noise at Home Park is generated from blocks 3 and 4 (it was Lyndhurst block 16 but since that is no longer open the Lyndhurst is a lot quieter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 7:29 pm

with a bit of organising and communication so you can get all who want to be members in to that one block instead of spread out ie block 3 or 4 then i can see it working really well.

My only concern is the folk in block 3 that don't want want to take part how they would react.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 8:41 pm

Phenom wrote:
My only concern is the folk in block 3 that don't want want to take part how they would react.

Precisely. I'm in block 3 and have been for years. I'm no killjoy, but the main reason I go to football is to watch the football - and no, I don't see why I should move. Like I said, a bit of consultation before the arbitrary choice of these blocks wouldn't have gone amiss.

So much for uniting the fanbase.

Sigh.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 9:03 pm

All this talk of 'Ultras' is getting above our station isn' it?

As far as I know, President Webb hasn't asked this site for our opinions!

After all, nobody here would have any suggestions as to what to call the group, would they?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 9:04 pm

Just scrap the stupid shitty "family enclosure" or whatever its called, i know for one if my old man (god rest his soul) had ever taken me into such an abomination for my first game id have never came back to Argyle.
The thing that got me hooked in the first place was, the raw passion, atmosphere, and the characters rather then the football. Was sat in the Devonport on Saturday and it was like a poster for age concern...no wonder no young uns like going Argyle any more, anybody who uses anything more encouraging then "come on you greens" is deemed a thug, alienised, and banished from argyle forever.
Football will never be what it was...you can have the Argyle Ultras lol,until the game and the herberts that like to sit in silence for 90 minutes (and get offended by anyone that shouts) things aint never going to change.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 8:37 am

Chris Webb wrote:
Cerbera wrote:
Chris, saw your mate Newell in the Brit, sitting all by himself, have you had a lover's tiff? I see you were mumbling a load of bull to the sheep in the Pyramid. Is there a divorce coming?

No you didn't did you because he was at the fansfest.

Getting your Brittania/Pyramid mixed up?

Argyle or Exeter today? scratch

Sincerely apologise to him for me then. He must have a doppelganger. Is this for security then?

Argyle as always. Funnily enough though, my mate (you know the one that gets me into hospitality at SJP) handed me £140 on Saturday evening. Seems I won the club sweepstake for correct score and nearest the gate for the Carlisle match - the last one I was at.

Always a bonus to get a great win at HP and relieve Exeter of their (much needed) cash at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 8:51 pm

punchdrunk wrote:
Just scrap the stupid shitty "family enclosure" or whatever its called, i know for one if my old man (god rest his soul) had ever taken me into such an abomination for my first game id have never came back to Argyle.
The thing that got me hooked in the first place was, the raw passion, atmosphere, and the characters rather then the football. Was sat in the Devonport on Saturday and it was like a poster for age concern...no wonder no young uns like going Argyle any more, anybody who uses anything more encouraging then "come on you greens" is deemed a thug, alienised, and banished from argyle forever.
Football will never be what it was...you can have the Argyle Ultras lol,until the game and the herberts that like to sit in silence for 90 minutes (and get offended by anyone that shouts) things aint never going to change.

Absolutely nothing against older fans but I would like to see Home Park balanced out with a lot more younger fans. It does partly explain why the atmosphere isn't all it could be. One problem is obviously cost but it's also partly that Argyle just isn't cool. Success on the pitch would bring a few more young uns back though. Relegation to BSP or stagnation in L2 and the other 2 sides will end up looking like the Grandstand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 1:39 pm

punchdrunk wrote:

I think what happened was, a lot of us cut our football teeth in the old Demport back in the 70s. Then, for some time after that, the singers started congregating in the old Lyndhurst. So, when the new stands opened, lots of us old uns returned to the place where we grew up and got season tickets there, while the singers tended to aim for the Zoo. (Not to mention that we weren't brought up watching football on telly and therefore know that the best place to watch is from behind the goal Cool )

Again, don't get me wrong: even at my advanced age I have been known to sing and chant, and I frequently stand for the whole match (we're allowed to do that up the back). My gripe isn't with the idea of Ultras (although that name makes me cringe, but that's something else), but with the way the President's simply announced that he's targeting our area without even having the courtesy to inform us.

When blocks 15-17 were closed, people were upset about being moved. This is similar.

Best result would be to reopen block 15 (yes, I know there's a cost involved in that) and make it an unreserved singing area. That's more likely to please the majority, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 3:00 pm

Totally agree Peggy.

Only President Webb wants it where HE sits. Not where the historical atmospheric hotbed for the last 25 years is (was). Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 3:06 pm

Tis Animal Farm gone crazy down at Home Park these days. pig
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 4:08 pm

Time moves on. Wherever the current crop of singers & chanters want it, there is where it should be. Boring old farts like me should stand or sit aside - I must admit that when I go today I would prefer to sit and watch. I agree with Freathy, we need to encourage younger people to come. We need to make the wearing of the green the cat's whiskers or whatever fab description they have nowadays scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 7:30 pm

funny man wrote:
Time moves on. Wherever the current crop of singers & chanters want it, there is where it should be.

But they're not getting it where they want. The Zoo was by far the most popular singing section, and it has been closed purely for economic reasons, just like the Mayflower was closed to save Todd 100K. I accepted the Mayflower and Grandstand scenario during the rebuild because there was a development reason for it... the singing was almost non existent that season... good job we were on a roll. There is no development reason for closing 17/18
The sad truth is that youngsters these days almost need to be told where and how to do whatever they do..... as Merlin said, the age of the necromancers is over. Magic is dead, the Webbs of this world plod and plan tea parties ... I don't blame him as such, he knows no better. I would love to see a vibrant vocal section, but the club do everything to prevent it through many of it's stadium policies that will still be in force.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 9:02 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Totally agree Peggy.

Only President Webb wants it where HE sits. Not where the historical atmospheric hotbed for the last 25 years is (was). Rolling Eyes

I'm pretty sure Webby used to go in the Lyndhurst before he moved upstairs. I see Peggy's point, why should people be forced to move or co-opted into something they don't identify with. But at the same time, something DOES need to be done to improve the miserable atmosphere of home games.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 10:37 am

I think he was a Block 12-er.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 10:41 am

There's an easy solution to improve the atmosphere, improve the bloody football!
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 10:43 am

Cerbera wrote:

Sincerely apologise to him for me then. He must have a doppelganger. Is this for security then?
It is in case someone small-time like you decides to try and talk to him...he's got much bigger fish to fry...like former directors.

Suspect

pig
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 10:46 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Cerbera wrote:

It is in case someone small-time like you decides to try and talk to him...he's got much bigger fish to fry...like former directors.

Suspect

pig

shhh Mock, we have to forget about that so talk about the atmosphere instead or you'll deflect the topic onto something that "they" don't want discussed!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Leaving out Wrathall's past, I did find the 'invite' rather patronising, and wouldn't be at all surprised if the offer wasn't taken up. It was so obviously a public statement more than an offer of a £20 ticket. I'm quite sure Wrathall has the courage to turn up at a game without the need for some spotty minder and a free ticket ... how embarrasing would that have been.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well done lads/men   Well done lads/men - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Well done lads/men
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2