Les Miserable
PASALB
AstiSpumante
Dick Trickle
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Trickle

PASALB Christmas Social Empty
PostSubject: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 8:03 am

If any of you are London based, or indeed in London on Thursday 17th December, then you could do far worse than attend the PASALB Christmas Party at the Hoop & Grapes pub in Farringdon.

For those of you who started attending Argyle in the 80's then the special guest is John Matthews who combined the ability to boss a game without once straying from the centre circle. Quality passer of the ball.

PASALB
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 9:23 am

Loved John Matthews, he looked like your friendly local butcher had donned a football kit and decided to join in, couldn't half pick a pass mind.
Back to top Go down
PASALB

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 9:35 am

We will post more details in the coming weeks. John is really looking forward to this.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 9:46 am

AstiSpumante wrote:
Loved John Matthews, he looked like your friendly local butcher had donned a football kit and decided to join in, couldn't half pick a pass mind.

Players like big John and the awesome Steve McCall seem to be a dying breed in modern football and that is a tragedy imo. The art of reading and dictating a match from the middle of the park seems to have been trumped by the need for physicality rather than guile and nous.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 10:17 am

Be there or be square.......sorry showing my age..... santa....drunken .....parteeeeee .
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 10:35 am

AstiSpumante wrote:

Could be a dirty bugger when needed as well. Some wonderful "tackles" linger in the mind from his days at Argyle, very good player though-one of the Ciderman's very best signings.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Do you have to be a member of PASALB to go?

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 6:35 pm

I'm another big fan of John Mathews. I lament the game that has disappeared, that allowed the likes of Mathews to do his silky stuff. I suppose Nallis was the last player we had who could boss with such a languid style, although slightly deeper. Too many weight lifting jockeys these days. What happened to those sloping shoulders and pigeon chests that could dip and sail by in an instant etc etc. The only reason "upper body strength" is so important these days is the referees don't uphold the rules.

Just look back at tv footage of 70s and 80s football, look at the great teams, and just see how "artistic" it was in those days These days it's nothing more than clever fast tippy tappy 5-a-side type footy on, for all intents and purposes, artificial carpets. Defensive coaching has improved massively, so that hasn't helped the spectacle.
At least Adams likes wingers, that's something. If he liked whingers as well, or at least understood them,  he'd be perfect.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Here you go Sir John, it doesn't get much better than this effort from old Frank.

Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 7:04 pm

Gotta love that goal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 7:04 pm

Brilliant Asti. When I was typing that, Lord Worthington came to my mind. Very Happy
He was occasionally a genius, even after a heavy night of all sorts, and there were so many of them in those days, from Stan Bowles to Rodney Marsh. The way they shifted their bodies was poetry.
Gazza was the last I can remember in this country that had a bit of it. It's all about pace, bustle and pull now. Boring athletes are taking over all the skill sports. Just look at the rugby. I think I preferred Worthington's type of pulling. cat
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 7:39 pm

Seem to recall Matthews had a right good poke on him too. Shoooooooooooooooooooot!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
PASALB

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 8:56 pm

Mouldyoldgoat You don't need to be a member to attend, however non-members may incur a charge if we put on food.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 9:37 pm

Thanks PASALB man. I'll certainly think about attending.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
PASALB

PostSubject: PASALB CHRISTMAS SOCIAL-CONFIRMED   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyThu Nov 19, 2015 11:57 am

PASALB will be holding it's Christmas do on Thursday 17th December, all welcome for further information please go to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 7:45 am

A bumped reminder for those of you in London tonight. Unfortunately work has deployed me elsewhere as I had intended on going.

I hope the night is a big success PASALB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PASALB Christmas Social   PASALB Christmas Social Empty

Back to top Go down

PASALB Christmas Social
Page 1 of 1