Freathy
hippo
Chemical Ali
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Argyle in for Alan Smith? Empty
PostSubject: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 7:36 am

According to the Nottngham Post, we have offered former Leeds/ Man Utd midfielder a deal. He played well against us when we beat Notts County 2-0 and did seem to keep Boateng quiet. Would give us a bit more experience too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
hippo

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 8:15 am

He could be good for us I think, County controlled the midfield in that match.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 8:21 am

All part of the buttering up before the big sell off. Obviously there's no chance we'll sign Alan Smith but it will be enough that we 'approached' Notts County to make it look like brent is supporting DA.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 9:27 am

I can't see this happening, not from a budget point of view but purely from the player's viewpoint.

He's played all his career in the north/midlands (I think) and lives in Derbyshire. I don't know what family he has but why would you move sticks for one season in the south-west?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 9:36 am

Dick Trickle wrote:
I can't see this happening, not from a budget point of view but purely from the player's viewpoint.

He's played all his career in the north/midlands (I think) and lives in Derbyshire. I don't know what family he has but why would you move sticks for one season in the south-west?

Agreed, paper talk but would welcome him - could be a great influence in a seen it, done it kind of way.

Mehybee 'ee's erd bowt jessturs and fancies summ plymuff burrddds?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 9:57 am

Not for me.

Completely the wrong profile for a player that'll be any good for us: big reputation, high wages, can't run doesn't run, no affinity for club or area. Experience might be valuable but it has to have legs, too.

If we want somebody to sit in front of the back four and do diddly squat there must be cheaper options.

If, as a club, we want to progress we have to do so with currently useful talent not a has-been whose best years are well, very well, behind him and not wet our pants in excitement every time some dodgy old sweat is vaguely linked to the club.

We can, and must, do far better than Alan Smith if we want to go up.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 10:02 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Not for me.

Completely the wrong profile for a player that'll be any good for us: big reputation, high wages, can't run doesn't run, no affinity for club or area. Experience might be valuable but it has to have legs, too.

If we want somebody to sit in front of the back four and do diddly squat there must be cheaper options.

If, as a club, we want to progress we have to do so with currently useful talent not a has-been whose best years are well, very well, behind him and not wet our pants in excitement every time some dodgy old sweat is vaguely linked to the club.

We can, and must, do far better than Alan Smith if we want to go up.

Why is "having an affinity with the club or area" particularly relevant for a new signing? Doubt very much if people like Mariner, Rafferty, Tynan, Nelson, Friio, Larrieu, Nalis etc had any particular fondness for Plymouth or its surrounds before they came here-some of them had probably never even heard of it.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 10:08 am

Every little helps.

All of his career he's been up in the nothern wastelands though, hasn't he? He'll have kids in school, his WAG'll have a favourite hairdresser... We're too far away and he'd have no reason to look in this direction at all - and probably won't.

I can't see why he'd be good for us or we for him.

Can he even play 90 minutes?

Nope. Not for me.

Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 10:13 am

Surprising that he is one of the lowest earners at County.

Can't see it happening but happy to Trust Adams judgement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 12:30 pm

Shame its not the Alan Smith of the Leeds days still. Prefer it if we re-signed Boateng in January first myself
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 12:39 pm

He might just provide the mouth that so many managers crave for.

We have so many nice, quiet players that perhaps Adams feels that they need stirring up.

It makes sense.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 12:44 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Every little helps.

All of his career he's been up in the nothern wastelands though, hasn't he? He'll have kids in school, his WAG'll have a favourite hairdresser... We're too far away and he'd have no reason to look in this direction at all - and probably won't.

I can't see why he'd be good for us or we for him.

Can he even play 90 minutes?

Nope. Not for me.

hardly played 90 minutes in his prime either very injury prone. I can only see signing him as part of a player/coach role or our budget is seriously low in January excluding any fire sales for the fine china in the squad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
He might just provide the mouth that so many managers crave for.

We have so many nice, quiet players that perhaps Adams feels that they need stirring up.

It makes sense.

Yep, that's the way I see it.

In his Hartlepool post-match interview, Adams spoke about the value of experience. Perhaps he sees a Smith-like figure as a missing piece to the overall balance of the squad.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 4:30 pm

Watching the Notts game I didn't realise initially it was the Alan Smith ex-Leeds player. He was influential in midfield but at 35 ? If DA signs him then he'll be welcome - just a shame he has recently split from his wife because she would have been a good coach for the 'angels'.Rock

Apparently he also bagged a married woman after the split last month. P'raps he is pencilled in as the next president. laugh
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 4:46 pm

No comment on the speculation from Dezza-

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 5:47 pm

tigertony wrote:
Watching the Notts game I didn't realise initially it was the Alan Smith ex-Leeds player. He was influential in midfield but at 35 ? If DA signs him then he'll be welcome - just a shame he has recently split from his wife because she would have been a good coach for the 'angels'.Rock

Apparently he also bagged a married woman after the split last month. P'raps he is pencilled in as the next president. laugh

Seems he traded in the mercedes for a 2nd hand renault clio lol
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 6:41 pm

PLYMOUTH Argyle manager Derek Adams has drawn up his battleplan for the January transfer window.

Adams will not go into specifics about how he intends to strengthen his table-topping squad for the second half of the League Two season.

That includes not commenting on speculation linking him with a move for Notts County's 35-year-old midfielder Alan Smith, the former Manchester United and England star.

But Adams has revealed he has the option to sign new recruits either on permanent transfers or loans.

The Pilgrims' boss has a list of potential targets as he plots his team's push for automatic promotion in 2016.

Adams is reported by the Nottingham Post to have offered a deal to Smith, who was a Premier League title winner with Manchester United in 2006/07 and capped 19 times by England.

It would certainly be an eye-catching signing for the Argyle manager to make, and a statement of intent for the rest of the season.

However, the Nottingham Post believe Derbyshire-based Smith is happy to stay at County if they offer him another year's contract to prolong his playing career.

They also point out that County manager Ricardo Moniz is a huge admirer of Smith because of his leadership qualities and 'will no doubt' want to keep him at Meadow Lane.

Adams was asked by Herald Sport whether he was interested in signing Smith and replied: "When the transfer window is open you are always going to get speculation. That's just the nature of the business.

"We don't say anything until we have signed any given player.

"I'm not going to say I'm in for a player or I'm not. Somebody will be able to tell you that probably before I do."

Adams stated after Argyle's 2-1 away win against Hartlepool United on Saturday his intention to strengthen his squad in January.

He wants to ensure the Pilgrims, who could have some key players returning from injury in the near future, are capable of maintaining their challenge at the top of League Two.

Adams said: "We have a plan in place and we are working to that plan at this moment in time.

"We will try to add to the squad in the January to help the players that have done so well this season."

Asked whether that would be by permanent signing or loans, Adams said: "We could do both. It really depends on what player we go for.

"We are speaking to clubs and agents so it's nothing new."

Argyle's first fixture in 2016 will be the away game against Carlisle United on Saturday, January 2.

It will take place at Ewood Park, the home of Championship club Blackburn Rovers, because Carlisle's ground was badly damaged by recent flooding.

With that match being held so soon after January transfer window opens, Adams does not expect to complete any new signings in time for them to play against Carlisle.

He said: "I don't think it will be done early this January, just with the way the transfer window has worked out.

"It will be very difficult for anybody to play on January 2. I think it will be later than that."

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 7:23 pm

no hints on whether he will be keeping our best players thouh which worrying
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Angry wrote:

Perhaps it could be because negotiations are on-going as it were and there is nothing to speak of as yet ?.

Whatever happens, January will be interesting.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 8:11 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

That could be because negotiations are ongoing as it were and so there is nothing to speak of as yet ?.

OR

Iy could be the opposite to your post. 31 days of uncertainty here we come cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 9:59 pm

I like the way DA keeps his cards very close. We don't want to alert other clubs when Lionel flies into Heathrow or they may try and copy SAF and hijack the player. We'll keep it incognito by sending Freathy in a battered old Ford Sierra.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 1:29 am

Could do worse, he is what Walton could have been
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyWed Dec 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Angry wrote:
tigertony wrote:

laugh
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyThu Dec 24, 2015 9:26 pm

tigertony wrote:
Angry wrote:
tigertony wrote:

laugh

Not the best photo lol!
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? EmptyThu Dec 24, 2015 11:29 pm

Alan Smith. No thanks. I would rather have an unknown hungry striker.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argyle in for Alan Smith?   Argyle in for Alan Smith? Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle in for Alan Smith?
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next