harvetheslayer
SteelCannon
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SteelCannon

SteelCannon

Sturrock interview. Empty
PostSubject: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 7:00 pm

The man himself was enjoying the match from Block 5 on Boxing Day. I just finished listening to his interview with Sparksy. Extremely eye-opening. I've not read his book yet and I'm just guessing that much of what was said was in reference to what was in it but a good listen nonetheless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 7:54 pm

SteelCannon wrote:
The man himself was enjoying the match from Block 5 on Boxing Day. I just finished listening to his interview with Sparksy. Extremely eye-opening. I've not read his book yet and I'm just guessing that much of what was said was in reference to what was in it but a good listen nonetheless.

his book is the greatest work of fiction ive ever read that book. Always the victim its never his fault Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 11:59 am

Listened to it this morning. Nothing too illuminating in it, the biggest news in it for me was to hear that Larrieu is training as a mechanic and has rejected job offers to become a GK coach.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Listened to part of it on way back from Newport. He makes it clear he was simply not "allowed" to manage in his mark 2 version of time in charge
His contempt of Todd was clear for all to hear wanking himself stupid over the World Cup bid rather than concentrating on PAFC first
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 12:27 pm

Let's not forget we're listening to his version of what went on, not necessarily the truth, history is written by the victors and all that. Sturrock mark 2 was a disaster and he must shoulder some of the blame regardless of what was going on behind the scenes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 12:54 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Let's not forget we're listening to his version of what went on, not necessarily the truth, history is written by the victors and all that. Sturrock mark 2 was a disaster and he must shoulder some of the blame regardless of what was going on behind the scenes.

I agree he was incharge and failing before all of them came on board.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 1:12 pm

He should take all of the blame, despite Todd being an awful gambler with the club's money and future prospects, which still hangs over the club in the shape of £3m plus debt to the Mastpoint boys.

My way, or the highway, I speak ma mind da da dah. Well it was the highway for him this time around and well deserved. The way he tried yet again in almost dogmatic fashion to try and start a team from scratch was awful to watch. The way he kicked out Nalis and Wotton after having already lost Norris from the midfield was criminal, to be replaced by the likes of Clarke. He went on about how successful Puncheon has been since, yet he hardly ever played him. As for Halmosi, he turned him from an exciting winger into a track back wide midfielder. Selective memory.
Apart from that, it was all a bit like listening to a plumber and how his last central heating job went. His monotone voice reminded me of Father Ted's mate, the boring priest... this ladies lingerie department is now closing. Will you please make your way to the tills.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 1:31 pm

Lord Biro wrote:
He should take all of the blame, despite Todd being an awful gambler with the club's money and future prospects, which still hangs over the club in the shape of £3m plus debt to the Mastpoint boys.

My way, or the highway, I speak ma mind da da dah. Well it was the highway for him this time around and well deserved. The way he tried yet again in almost dogmatic fashion to try and start a team from scratch was awful to watch. The way he kicked out Nalis and Wotton after having already lost Norris from the midfield was criminal, to be replaced by the likes of Clarke. He went on about how successful Puncheon has been since, yet he hardly ever played him. As for Halmosi, he turned him from an exciting winger into a track back wide midfielder. Selective memory.
Apart from that, it was all a bit like listening to a plumber and how his last central heating job went. His monotone voice reminded me of Father Ted's mate, the boring priest... this ladies lingerie department is now closing. Will you please make your way to the tills.
laugh
Well put M'Lud. I think back to some of his big money signings who wouldn't get a sniff with our present players.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 1:41 pm

He wasted so much money that cant be ignored.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 2:40 pm

50/50 between Staplewallet,the old board and their successors and Sturrock for me. I think he was badly stitched up by Stapleton-used his previous popularity to bring him in to do the dirty work with regard to the criminal breaking up of the team that successive Argyle managers had put together. Stapleton was full of his "none of it was my fault" shit in Sturrocks book and rewriting history to the extent that apparently all the money from the sales of Norris, Gosling, Ebanks, Buzz, Halmosi was reinvested into the team, which is an absolute downright lie. Sturrock said that his illness affected his judgement and he "didn't do his homework" on Walton and McClean-while you sympathise with him in respect of his condition, it isn't much consolation when you think what happened to the club partly as a consequence. A dire episode indeed in the history of Argyle from which nobody involved takes any credit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 3:02 pm

I sighed when I heard that illness excuse. Is there no limit to nonsense and lack of personal responsibility. No one in the public eye admits to anything these days.
We all know illness is a debilitating thing, and it is up to the person themselves to admit at the time whether they are up to the task or not. Thankfully, these days it's almost impossible for a sick alcoholic train driver to get into a cab pulling hundreds of people. Given what Sturrock said regarding getting his medication under control at the time, he should never have taken the work on.
Of course, now we are told medication is fine, so carte blanche for the past and carte blanche for the future. Sometimes, people need to be saved from themselves.
In fact, only recently, many people were "feeling sorry" for the truck driver who ploughed into a pile of pedestrians, killing and maiming. They felt sorry for him because he was only hiding his disability to keep working. Sheeeesh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 3:04 pm

An enjoyable interview, but hints that his book probably isn't as comprehensive as it could be.
Interesting to hear more about his experiences at Southampton.

For me Sturrock will always be a legend, and whatever happened during his alien abduction will not change that.
He had some poor judgement in the transfer market, but most culpable for making PAFC lose credibility and become a mickey mouse club goes to the Stapleton family IMO.

As for the financial meltdown, look no further than Todd, downright reckless and didn't understand football. Basically criminal what he did imo, but no come back for him or Gardner, disgusting.

Last edited by Pafcintheplace on Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 3:08 pm

Absolutely no one comes out that mess even a few years on without the stench of incompetence, ineptitude and extreme arrogance hanging around them.
Luggy is not exempt from that, listening to his very dull interview, he came across as somebody who was a victim of mangement at all the clubs he managed, guess he will need to update his book with a chapter on Yeovil 2015.
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 4:48 pm

Pafcintheplace wrote:
An enjoyable interview, but hints that his book probably isn't as comprehensive as it could be.

For me Sturrock will always be a legend, and whatever happened during his alien abduction will not change that.
He had some poor judgement in the transfer market, but most culpable for making PAFC lose credibility and become a mickey mouse club goes to the Stapleton family IMO.

As for the financial meltdown, look no further than Todd, downright reckless and didn't understand football. Basically criminal what he did imo, but no come back for him or Gardner, disgusting.

He played his part certainly but i cant accept it was all down to him. £20Million plus in debt tells me the club had serious problems before Todd, Gardner and the japanese bloke with the american sidekick came on board.
Plus the fire sale in January that came before they came on board is evidence enough for me that the - figure was growing to an alarming rate back then.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 7:30 pm

Angry wrote:
Pafcintheplace wrote:

He played his part certainly but i cant accept it was all down to him. £20Million plus in debt tells me the club had serious problems before Todd, Gardner and the japanese bloke with the american sidekick came on board.
Plus the fire sale in January that came before they came on board is evidence enough for me that the - figure was growing to an alarming rate back then.

I'd go along with that as well.

Mr Gill gave a pretty good account of why he sold his remaining shares when he did, after Kagami (rightly) reneged on a gentleman's agreement. The finances were already a mess when Gardner & Todd joined the club.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 7:49 pm

Starnes told Dick and I at the Pasalb meeting that some of the players contracts were ridiculous. He didn't name names but some of the players were guaranteed significant pay rises if we got relegated.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 8:21 pm

Lord Biro wrote:

nice to see you back laugh
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 11:10 pm

Its better than your front (Morecambe and Wise)
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 7:50 am

Had an exchange with Luggy [and his wife] on one of those f/b chat groups last year.............

In response to my cynical offerings on the continuing parlous state of Argyle under the current ownership, he tried to dissuade me from my unwillingness to 'just support', with the blinkered offerings of someone who has made a great living out of the game, largely thanks to those who do, 'just support'.

He claimed that supporting your club was a roller coaster ride and that I should get back on...................

People who make a fantastic living from modern football really do think 'fans' are thick and they use and abuse their loyalty, because they keep coming back for more...................... He is of course correct, that there is a hardcore so addicted to their club that they'll comply without ever looking at the bigger picture.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 10:38 am

N
Coxside_Green wrote:
Angry wrote:
Pafcintheplace wrote:

Mr Gill gave a pretty good account of why he sold his remaining shares when he did, after Kagami (rightly) reneged on a gentleman's agreement.  The finances were already a mess when Gardner & Todd joined the club.
Gill sold his shares because he made an absolute killing on them. Can't remember the exact figures.

Luggys book is a long winded exercise in self pity. Very little of the things that went wrong in his life were his fault. I'd like to hear more about Southampton, where the claim was he couldn't work with Rupert Lowe yet virtually everyone in and around the club seems to think the senior players thought he was a joker with Jurassic era training methods and the appearance of a yokel.

His second spell at Argyle, of course no one comes out well but if he wasn't well enough to do the job he should have walked. He couldn't manage a large squad and I lost track of the people he fell out with, due to his lack of man management skills. 
Stapleton was sneaky, in that he got Luggy in to carry out a hatchet job in the hope that the man could unearth some "wee nuggets". In January Razz Then when everything started going pear shaped he whinged to the sympathetic press that, Toddy kept everything from him. Conveniently forgetting he had invested in the property company that stood to make a killing if the World Cup shenanigans came off and also failing to resign from the board.

Todd was just an incompetent shithouse.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 11:08 am

The books avalible in the fiction section in all good book shops laugh
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 1:06 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
N
Coxside_Green wrote:
Angry wrote:
Pafcintheplace wrote:

Mr Gill gave a pretty good account of why he sold his remaining shares when he did, after Kagami (rightly) reneged on a gentleman's agreement.  The finances were already a mess when Gardner & Todd joined the club.
Gill sold his shares because he made an absolute killing on them. Can't remember the exact figures.

From memory Gill sold his shares firstly to Kagami (20% personal shares) and a year later to Kagami/Gardner (80% personal shares).  It was believed he received a combined total of £1.1m (£500k from Kagami and £600k from Kagami/Gardner).  Whether he made 'an absolute killing' is debateable.  IMO he received too much for his initial share sale to Kagami (as did the other 3 Board members) which led to a fallout between the (local) Board and Kagami.  The 2nd (much larger) share sale was sold at a price reflective of the shit the club was already in or perhaps a truer reflection of what the club was actually worth.  However you look at it Gill got out at the right time and for good reason.

I could be wrong but I think the valuation of the freehold was what duped Kagami to buying in to begin with?  On paper everything looked safe but in reality...
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 1:40 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
N
Coxside_Green wrote:
Angry wrote:
Pafcintheplace wrote:

Luggys book is a long winded exercise in self pity. Very little of the things that went wrong in his life were his fault. I'd like to hear more about Southampton, where the claim was he couldn't work with Rupert Lowe yet virtually everyone in and around the club seems to think the senior players thought he was a joker with Jurassic era training methods and the appearance of a yokel.

His second spell at Argyle, of course no one comes out well but if he wasn't well enough to do the job he should have walked. He couldn't manage a large squad and I lost track of the people he fell out with, due to his lack of man management skills. 
Stapleton was sneaky, in that he got Luggy in to carry out a hatchet job in the hope that the man could unearth some "wee nuggets". In January Razz Then when everything started going pear shaped he whinged to the sympathetic press that, Toddy kept everything from him. Conveniently forgetting he had invested in the property company that stood to make a killing if the World Cup shenanigans came off and also failing to resign from the board.

Just about nailed it for me.

I was told by more than one source that the director's so called fire sale was an attempt to enhance to clubs attractiveness for would be buyers.

They're all as guilty as each other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 1:44 pm

Maybe Damon could enlighten us ?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 1:59 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
N
Coxside_Green wrote:
Angry wrote:
Pafcintheplace wrote:

Just about nailed it for me.

I was told by more than one source that the director's so called fire sale was an attempt to enhance to clubs attractiveness for would be buyers.

They're all as guilty as each other.

They didn't want 'buyers', they wanted to keep their fingers in the pie and still cash in. Absolute shits who claimed to be fans.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sturrock interview.   Sturrock interview. Empty

Back to top Go down

Sturrock interview.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next