shonbo
Bodmin Tew
Freathy
Greendave
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Argyle v Burton preview and match thread Empty
PostSubject: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptyFri 13 Jan 2012, 20:34

Sorry it was not posted earlier but here is the preview for the Burton home match. Sorry its not as long as the normal ones.

Argyle head into this one still awaiting their first points of the new year, while for Burton, the year so far looks equally bleak despite the yellows being perched highly in the League 2 table.

Both sides have nothing to boast about in terms of results during 2012, as the opposing teams have collected 0 points from a possible 6. The greens lost their last game 'up north' in an entertaining match at Crewe Alexandra, despite goals from Simon Walton and Matt Lecointe, the alex were still able to record a 3 2 victory over Argyle. Burton's two matches this year have been at home, and they have been defeated 2 0 both times, as Hereford and Accrington celebrated victories.

The men in green will be looking to put the events of 2011 behind them and move on, it was a terrible year for Argyle, the greens landed themselves in administration, a points deduction sent Reid's men shooting to the bottom of the league and despite some spirited efforts, Peter Reid was unable to keep his side in League 1. The League 2 season has been far from ideal for argyle also, due to lack of results manager Peter Reid was fired and Carl Fletcher has been in charge since, and the Pilgrims have shown steady progress in the League but its far from enough to keep them up.

Last year was a pretty average year for Burton who has a season barren of any real excitement. However this season has been much better for Peschisolido's men as they find themselves flying high in the league, currently just one place of a play off place after their poor 2012 start. Despite the set back Burton will still feel confident that promotion is an option for them this season.

Plymouth Argyle have added to their team in numbers over the early stages of January. Impressive striker Nick Chadwick has signed a deal until 2013, while experienced centre back Darren Purse has decided to stay on until the end of the season. Plymouth Argyle legend Paul Wotton returned to Home Park this week on an 18 month deal, the centre midfielder made over 400 apps for the Pilgrims in his previous spell. Among that Wolves winger Ashley Hemmings extended his loan at the club while right winger Joe Lennox signed until the end of the season after ending his contract at Bristol City, french defender Maxime Blanchard also decided to stay until the end of the season. Argyle look to have next to no injury concerns as Nick Chadwick is expected to return to the side, however the greens will be without midfielder Connor Hourihane after he was sent off at Crewe.

Despite defeat, Burton are expected to line up in the same way they did against Accrington, they are expected to play with Atkins, Driver, James, Austin, Blanchett, McGrath, Palmer, Maghoma, Bolder, Richards and star striker Zola who has netted 12 times this season. Despite including him in the line up, Bolder could be out due to a hamstring problem but he is due for a fitness test at Home Park tomorrow, apart from that Burton look to have a pretty full squad to pick a starting 11 from.

HEAD TO HEAD: The manager

Carl Fletcher took over at Argyle on the 19th of September after the sacking of Peter Reid. After 2 wins in 7 matches Carl was appointed on a perm basis. PAFC are the first club Fletcher has managed after a long career as a player (mainly CM). The 31 year old has played for Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford, Crystal Palace and Notingham Forest. Fletcher joined Argyle on loan from Crystal Palace, when his contract at Palace ended later that season, he signed a 2 year deal for the Pilgrims.

Paul Peschisolido, from Canada, is just as in-experienced in management than Carl Fletcher. Burton are the first club Paul has managed after finishing a long career as a player. The 40 year old played out the majority is his time as a player in the UK. After being at Toronto Blizzard, Kansas City Commets and Juventus, Peschisolido moved to Birmingham City. After staying in Birmingham for 2 years Paul went on to play for Stoke, West Brom, Fulham, QPR, Sheffield United, Norwich, Derby and St Patricks athletic before he retired from football at age 38 after failing to make an appearance for Athletic. He took charge of Burton in 2009 following the departure of Roy McFarland who took Burton into league 2.

LAST TIME OUT: What happened the last time?

3rd september, 2011, npower League 2.
Burton Albion 2 Plymouth Argyle 1 - Despite planned player strikes before the match Argyle were able to put up a fight against Burton. Goals from Richard and Zola gave the men in the Yellow the lead, in the 91st minute Will Atkinson pulled one back for Argyle but it wasn't enough.

Prediction: Argyle 2 Burton 1

Thanks

Back to top Go down
Greendave

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptyFri 13 Jan 2012, 20:44

Going to be a tough game as they all will be from now on.
If we go in front, I think we will win.

My prediction -

Argyle 4 Burton 2
Goals from Walton (Cool,(26) & (86(p)) & an og (34)
ATT: 7253
I also think the ref will pull his hammy and be replaced by the forth official

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 08:33

Quote :
Sorry its not as long as the normal ones

That was a short one? Wow!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 09:16

monti czardas wrote:
Quote :
Sorry its not as long as the normal ones

That was a short one? Wow!

It was, the crewe preview was another 50 percent added.

I have decided against going to the meeting, gonna meet up with my girlfriend and take her to her 3rd argyle match cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 09:28

Shouldnt she be taking it easy? flower
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 09:36

We should all be feeling confident after last weeks amazing 'transfer activity'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 14:34

Wotton starts, no Chadders, Lennox on the bench.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 15:52

Ht 0-0 Ho hum
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 15:52

Northampton crusing to a comfortable win against Southend. See what happens when you replace a useless manager and get a few good L2 standard players in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 16:05

Walts 1 -0 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bodmin Tew

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 16:10

Freathy wrote:
Northampton crusing to a comfortable win against Southend. See what happens when you replace a useless manager and get a few good L2 standard players in.

Cruising at 2-1 Laughing

Is that the same useless Manager that has gone from L2 to L1?

Be honest Freathy, do you enjoy it when we win? Even given my doubts about Fletcher I'm over the moon we are ahead. Let's all hope that we win those vital 3 points. Question
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 16:17

Bodmin Tew wrote:
Freathy wrote:

Be honest Freathy, do you enjoy it when we win? Even given my doubts about Fletcher I'm over the moon we are ahead. Let's all hope that we win those vital 3 points. Question

I've almost forgotten what it's like.

Burton should have equalised just now. 35 minutes of hanging on by a thread? Can we do it? I don't think so.
Back to top Go down
Bodmin Tew

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 16:21

Freathy wrote:
Bodmin Tew wrote:
Freathy wrote:

I've almost forgotten what it's like.

Burton should have equalised just now. 35 minutes of hanging on by a thread? Can we do it? I don't think so.

Smile I would expect nothing less. Laughing

Ying and Yang and all that. Yes, we seem to have gone on defensive mode. 3 points is all that matters.

5900 home fans. That's fantastic bearing in mind where we are.

Last edited by Bodmin Tew on Sat 14 Jan 2012, 16:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 16:32

Zola 1 - 1 crap
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 16:34

Inevitable
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 16:46

Walton pen 2 -1 bounce
Back to top Go down
Bodmin Tew

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 16:47

Freathy wrote:
Inevitable

Was the Burton equaliser inevitable or the fact that Southend are now beating "cruising" Northampton. I guess that's what you get when you change your manager....?

We're now 1 point better off that we were with Northampton at HT.

Penalty Freathy...................

Let's hope eh....?

What a great feeling, this joy...!
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 16:59

Well done Argyle! Never in a million years did I think we'd get another goal. Burton seemed far more likely to score.

And yes, I was fully expecting a Northampton win when they went in front.

Still rooted to the bottom though with an unwinnable match next up.
Back to top Go down
Bodmin Tew

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 17:03

Freathy wrote:
Well done Argyle! Never in a million years did I think we'd get another goal. Burton seemed far more likely to score.

Wow Freathy, you're even worse in real life Very Happy

How is it unwinnable? Are we going to give up and be judged by the Pools Panel sponsored by Freathy?

Is this the same Crawley Town that drew today at Bristol Rovers who we beat 3-2 a couple of weeks ago?

The same Crawley Town that have won one league game in 4 and are now 3rd in the league?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 17:17

You have to dig in and take your luck when it comes up.
I would like to think the late win was due to Wotton's return and a somewhat changed attitude. That would mean there was more to our win than just one of those things... relegated teams do win games.
With this mentoring thing taking so long, I can only assume Brent is waiting on Warnock first and foremost. If O'Driscoll was his first choice, I would have assumed he would be in place by now, given he's been hanging around for a bit already. I really do hope this week is as lucky as it could be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 17:20

Freathy wrote:

Sorry to piss on your chips, but Northampton are bottom.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 17:43

Andy_Symons wrote:
Freathy wrote:

We're on the same points as Northampton
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 17:46

Freathy
Did you get anything right today?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 17:48

Freathy wrote:
Andy_Symons wrote:
Freathy wrote:

We're on the same points as Northampton

**Sighs** Yes, but we're not 'rooted to the bottom' (your words). Northampton are.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 18:04

You've got an audience again Sad Act. Same old bait too jocolor lol!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle v Burton preview and match thread
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next