Les Miserable
Freathy
harvetheslayer
Tgwu
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 8:09 pm

The game is about defending as well as attacking. Sucker punches are common, especially in today's highly coached professional game.
I used to box, and I wasn't half bad. Not Herb's sort of box, I hasten to add. Many called it the art of self defence. All out attack didn't always win the day with tougher opponents, just a flurry of dust. it is often down to a couple of quick shots on the button at some stage of the proceedings. Competition is often that way.  Bye bye Accy, and Windass. I still remember his father doing us in an irritating manner when Hull passed us by to the Premier.
Pleased for Reuben Reid. He might just be another player that could benefit from Adams' ways. Maybe Carey's technique on striking a ball has made an impression on Reid. Players can learn so quickly off each other.  Some thought he might not do quite so well under this new manager's tactics.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 10:04 pm

Sir John Hawkins wrote:
The game is about defending as well as attacking. Sucker punches are common, especially in today's highly coached professional game.
I used to box, and I wasn't half bad. Not Herb's sort of box, I hasten to add. Many called it the art of self defence. All out attack didn't always win the day with tougher opponents, just a flurry of dust. it is often down to a couple of quick shots on the button at some stage of the proceedings. Competition is often that way.  Bye bye Accy, and Windass. I still remember his father doing us in an irritating manner when Hull passed us by to the Premier.
Pleased for Reuben Reid. He might just be another player that could benefit from Adams' ways. Maybe Carey's technique on striking a ball has made an impression on Reid. Players can learn so quickly off each other.  Some thought he might not do quite so well under this new manager's tactics.
Sir John (doffing my fores forelock), those few words sum it up perfectly. Did your valet write those?
Back to top Go down
lawnmowerman

lawnmowerman

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 10:27 pm

tigertony wrote:
Sir John Hawkins wrote:
Sir John (doffing my fores forelock), those few words sum it up perfectly. Did your valet write those?
no but the gardener did me lord lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 12:27 am

Les Miserable wrote:
Our luck won't last forever.

I was thinking about this today.

We have been winning lately whilst no really being the better side. This can't last forever.

Now I am going to Oxford away on Tuesday.

Are we going to break the mould.... and play well, and dominate? Or are we going to play crap and go home empty handed?

Who bloody knows.
Back to top Go down
nzgreen

nzgreen

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 1:07 am

So we win again after "playing crap". Funny that.

Does anyone know if Ross County under DA "played crap" all the time, whilst simultaneously marching up the Scottish leagues?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 1:50 am

nzgreen wrote:

Does anyone know if Ross County under DA "played crap" all the time, whilst simultaneously marching up the Scottish leagues?

I take it you haven't seen the 4 one on ones Luke had to save today, and the three efforts they had that hit the woodwork.

No one is complaining (given we got the 3 points) but we were evidently not the better side.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 2:00 am

lawnmowerman wrote:
tigertony wrote:
Sir John Hawkins wrote:
no but the gardener did me lord lol!
Wasn't there a book about a gardener and a noble gentlemens wife? Lady Chattertons Lover. Someone tell Sir John quick!
Back to top Go down
nzgreen

nzgreen

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 2:39 am

ejh wrote:
nzgreen wrote:

I take it you haven't seen the 4 one on ones Luke had to save today, and the three efforts they had that hit the woodwork.

No one is complaining (given we got the 3 points) but we were evidently not the better side.

Not disputing your summation as no I wasn't there and no haven't seen highlights. Interested to know the nature of Ross countys rise under him to see if absorb pressure, counter attack, smash and grab is DA's style, coz its working like a little charm right now.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 5:40 am

Hit woodwork 3 times and 4 one v ones ???? Sounds like we got chinned and got the points too.....
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 7:24 am

Sorry missing highlights, a Little bit unwell better this morning.

Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 8:03 am

.....And I thought the best team was the one that scored more goals in the match and won the game.....you can never get more than one point when you don't score......some of those comments where a tad over the top.....a little bit of sour grapes I think.

Best defence in the league with only nine against......equals 0.69 of a goal per match.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 8:42 am

tigertony wrote:

Wasn't there a book about a gardener and a noble gentlemens wife? Lady Chattertons Lover. Someone tell Sir John quick!

Tony, the Chatterleys weren't real. I am. My wife has a live in lover called Georgina, while I dally with a chamberaid. Suits us both very well, rather than that faux desire most marrieds have after so many years. Tiresome.
As for 4 one on ones, that is quite a statistic. Above all though, it shows Accringtn don't have the best strikers in the business, which is quite common in the basement division. I remember Easter having a problem putting the ball away in such circumstances. Hopefully Adams will be able to sort out the problem, which seemed to be losing the midfield yesterday. Argyle do rely heavily on Carey and Boetang, that much is obvious. Carey's recent injury problems could be having an effect.
I seem to remember someone saying Adams liked to play on the break at Ross County. He must have liked yesterday's game then. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 8:42 am

zyph wrote:
.....And I thought the best team was the one that scored more goals in the match and won the game.....you can never get more than one point when you don't score......some of those comments where a tad over the top.....a little bit of sour grapes I think.

Best defence in the league with only nine against......equals 0.69 of a goal per match.

There'll be plenty of games when we're by far the better team, and lose.

Yesterday we were 2nd best in every dept bar one - the one that counts obviously. But that doesn't hide the fact we were the poorer team.

The standard of finishing in League two is generally very poor. Nowhere was that more evident than at Home Park yesterday. Accy wasted enough chances to have won three or four games.

I think it was around the end of August it dawned on me that Derek Adams, with his style of play, was simply confident that we have the quality up front to make our chances count. Yesterdays bit of magic from Reid in a game we deserved to lose heavily, was a prime example.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 9:41 am

Czarcasm wrote:
zyph wrote:

There'll be plenty of games when we're by far the better team, and lose.

Yesterday we were 2nd best in every dept bar one - the one that counts obviously. But that doesn't hide the fact we were the poorer team.

The standard of finishing in League two is generally very poor. Nowhere was that more evident than at Home Park yesterday. Accy wasted enough chances to have won three or four games.

I think it was around the end of August it dawned on me that Derek Adams, with his style of play, was simply confident that we have the quality up front to make our chances count. Yesterdays bit of magic from Reid in a game we deserved to lose heavily, was a prime example.

Not sure that that argument stands up. The goal scoring ratio in this division doesn't seem to be that much different to any other division and there are some very high scoring teams in it, although Accrington aren't one of them-their high position has been attained through a mean defensive record. Bit harsh to describe their finishing as  poor though-smacking a couple of shots against the bar and McCormick making some very good saves would suggest that they weren't that far away from hitting the target with plenty of efforts which is what any manager would ask from his team. One aspect of the last two matches that maybe hasn't been talked about that much is that Argyle are top of the division and are now there to be shot at-possibly teams will start to raise their game in order to turn the leaders over. Even if that were so and NC and AS [the former with a very strong home record, the latter very much an in form team] did raise their respective games, Argyle have come through the matches with an aggregate win of 3-0 and bagged 6 points, so not too bad really.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 12:06 pm

Lukey Boy saved 4 one-on-ones! In the words of the great Brian Clough when questioned over a Shilts masterclass that got his team a win ''Thats why I pay him''
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 12:06 pm

Luck is a funny old thing. "The more I practice the luckier I get" Gary Player once famously said. It's also true that luck evens itself out eventually and even if it doesn't nobody is ever consistently lucky. The breaks always seem to go to the best teams, don't they? Just as when you are struggling nothing ever goes for you. This is all fact jumbled up with selective examples that reinforce the opinion. "Facpinion" if you like.

When you look at our team we have two players of genuine quality: Reid and McCormick. Yesterday between them they saved and won the game for us. This isn't luck it is having quality players in key positions.

We have other players of quality too now: Jervis, Carey, McHugh and arguably, Boateng, Hartley and Nelson are all tasty and Mellor, Sawyer, Tanner, Wylde are hardly weak links.

We could (and I'd strongly argue should) have been promoted automatically last season. This season we could win the league and failure to at least be promoted will represent yet another gut-churning failure for us.

You might get lucky once or twice in a game, and we certainly did that if not more yesterday (and , yes, Stanley were excellent all over the field and deserve all the praise in the world for getting what must be their best ever team together on a shoestring budget), but everybody else will too. It's the league table that counts and we're top by 3 points, 7 points clear of 4th spot, have 5 wins on the bounce and are conceding fewer than one goal per game. If we carry on in the same vein and ony concede 35 goals this season promotion and the title (and probably the FA Cup too) will be ours come May.

We're going up as feckin champions!
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 12:33 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Luck is a funny old thing. "The more I practice the luckier I get" Gary Player once famously said. It's also true that luck evens itself out eventually and even if it doesn't nobody is ever consistently lucky. The breaks always seem to go to the best teams, don't they? Just as when you are struggling nothing ever goes for you. This is all fact jumbled up with selective examples that reinforce the opinion. "Facpinion" if you like.

When you look at our team we have two players of genuine quality: Reid and McCormick. Yesterday between them they saved and won the game for us. This isn't luck it is having quality players in key positions.

We have other players of quality too now: Jervis, Carey, McHugh and arguably, Boateng, Hartley and Nelson are all tasty and Mellor, Sawyer, Tanner, Wylde are hardly weak links.

We could (and I'd strongly argue should) have been promoted automatically last season. This season we could win the league and failure to at least be promoted will represent yet another gut-churning failure for us.

You might get lucky once or twice in a game, and we certainly did that if not more yesterday (and , yes, Stanley were excellent all over the field and deserve all the praise in the world for getting what must be their best ever team together on a shoestring budget), but everybody else will too. It's the league table that counts and we're top by 3 points, 7 points clear of 4th spot, have 5 wins on the bounce and are conceding fewer than one goal per game. If we carry on in the same vein and ony concede 35 goals this season promotion and the title (and probably the FA Cup too) will be ours come May.

We're going up as feckin champions!

Well if our luck doesn't desert us, by my calculations, we will finish the season on 102 points. And if that doesn't win us the league then I will be damned!

We just need to concentrate on staying lucky.
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 2:02 pm

Just write our name on the trophy! A friend of mine brought a completely neutral friend to the game yesterday. He was hoping to see some good things. His assessment at half time was our goalkeeper was good. Accrington were good and we should have been at least 3 down. Full time assessment was he enjoyed the game, thought Luke had helluva game. Reid's goal was good but how in hell didn't Accrington win??????? Totally agreed with him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 2:15 pm

We will hit a blip or 2 in form at some point this season its how Del bhey and the team deal with them that will be the true test of our championship/promotion resolve.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 2:53 pm

Blip for certain, whichever way that you look at it the January sales will be the make or break point, an open letter to Brent should be formulated and signed to be handed in before Xmas. Along the lines of "support the club and so will the fans, sell the starlets and we will boycott the club until you are gone." enough is enough, last chance saloon for Brent and his monkeys.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 4:22 pm

We are undoubtedly getting the rub of the green at the moment. It's one thing to have a "lucky/unlucky moment when you're 3-0 up or down but it's the timing of the lucky break that's crucial.

This is where we have been fortunate. Most of the breaks have been at key moments and have made a difference to the final outcome.

I would even argue that Reubins goal was fortunate. Give him another ten attempts at repeating it and he would struggle. The target area was minimal.

Still, who cares. You never get unlucky winners or lucky losers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 4:54 pm

Were we lucky ? We were probably outplayed for most of the game but Our top marksman takes his chance, their strikers Didn't , you don't get goals hitting crossbars and posts, enough said
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 4:57 pm

I've never understood the idea of "luck", unless it's just a pointless human "shit happens" sort of throw away.
However, I am a believer of "fate" that gives  far more coherent causal reasoning for what goes down, that many have been conditioned to think of as spooky. It's not unlucky that we die, it's fate.

Adams is fated to succeed at this level at this time. Brent is lucky to have him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 5:38 pm

Sir John Hawkins wrote:
I've never understood the idea of "luck", unless it's just a pointless human "shit happens" sort of throw away.
However, I am a believer of "fate" that gives  far more coherent causal reasoning for what goes down, that many have been conditioned to think of as spooky. It's not unlucky that we die, it's fate.  

Adams is fated to succeed at this level at this time. Brent is lucky to have him.

Or is Del Boy lucky Brent selected him from all of the applicants ?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 5:44 pm

Graiser wrote:
Sir John Hawkins wrote:

Or is Del Boy lucky Brent selected him from all of the applicants ?

Certainly wouldn't say that Adams was lucky to get the Argyle job. With his record of achievement at Ross County, it was inevitable that someone would have come in for him sooner or later, whether it be in Scotland or England.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accrington Stanley Match Thread   Accrington Stanley Match Thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Accrington Stanley Match Thread
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next