Tringreen
Greenskin
Mock Cuncher
Tgwu
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

new player coming - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:13 am

LondonGreen wrote:
I remember the giddy heights of signing players for money a few years back...now we are signing Chesterfield and Yeovil rejects

In the words of someone famous - just look how far we have come

What's more embarrassing is that Northampton are interested in bhasera and would probably be a more attractive proposition than us right now!

I guess I would rather see him go and his wages get used for a striker who aculi knew how to score, than seeing Tyler Harvey go for peanuts without us ever knowing what he could have done for us.

Bhasera divides opinion and even his biggest fans can't say he's a game changer or match winner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:49 am

Greenskin wrote:
Sensiblegreeny wrote:
If Carlsberg did moaning they'd do their advert in Plymouth. It's like watching an episode from Little Britain reading some of the threads on here. "Don't want that one, want that one". In case people forget we are the dregs in the football league so we ain't signing anyone brilliant anytime soon.

Remember earlier in the season [actually from about June onwards] when people on this site were questioning the fitness and recent playing records of most of the players we were signing, people like Lowry,Guerrieri,Madjo,Griffiths in particular? Seem to remember you offering some similar observations back then about the alleged negativity towards those signings-a quick look at the overall contrbution made by those players would suggest that most of the posters on here got it right.And Plymouth Argyle are not the "dregs of the football league",which is a very rich comment coming from someone who consistently derides others for their lack of positivity-Sheridan certainly didn't think so in his press conference yesterday.For sure,he was realistic about where the club is at the moment but he was also realistic about where the club could be in a few years time,which he specified as the second tier of English football.Which brings the debate around to a logical conclusion-league 2 is a far easier place from which to reach those heights than the BSP and to achieve the aim of staying up this year,the next batch of signings MUST be right.No more injury prone junk,no more signings of players who couldn't get into a team which went 23 games without a win last season,no more 32 year old firemen,just players with the competence to play reasonably well at this level and give Argyle a chance of winning 8-9 games between now and the end of the season and to give Sheridan some room to rebuild the squad properly in the summer.I'd be very surprised if Sheridan didn't look at it in the same way-doesn't strike me as a bloke who would willingly accept failure or fourth class standards,certainly not in the same way that many alleged "positive" supporters are.

Agree with that, what has really gripped my shit the last couple of years is this acceptance of mediocrity, where is the ambition? I for one aren't demanding we are in the prem in three years time, what I am demanding is that we ought to be having a good bloody go at any team in this league. Bottom half of the lowest league in the land isn't good enough even for a team that has been through a recent administration period, have a look at Vale to see that. It's a disgrace that we have been allowed to slide so far before action was taken this season, the happy clappers have a lot to answer for. If the BSP IS SO FUKIN IMPORTANT TO YOU GO AND WATCH ANOTHER TEAM WHO ARE ALREADY THERE, DON'T DRAG US DOWN TO IT, IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR A MAHOOSIVE CLUB LIKE ARGYLE WITH HUGE POTENTIAL!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Westcarr has had his contract terminated at chesterfield so expect lots of rumours he will be here soon on a contract till the end of the season.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:14 pm

Angry of Mayfair wrote:
Westcarr has had his contract terminated at chesterfield so expect lots of rumours he will be here soon on a contract till the end of the season.

A move to Bradford was turned down by Sheridan (for Westcarr) when JS was at Chesterfield. Westcarr apparently said he wouldn't have gone to Bradford anyway as it was too far from Nottingham. I don't think there's much chance of him coming down to Devon.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:16 pm

shame that, he knows where the goal is, likes to be physical with defenders, he'd be just up our street
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Angry of Mayfair wrote:

A move to Bradford was turned down by Sheridan (for Westcarr) when JS was at Chesterfield. Westcarr apparently said he wouldn't have gone to Bradford anyway as it was too far from Nottingham. I don't think there's much chance of him coming down to Devon.

It's only for a couple of months though, he might like it here as a retirement home.
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Charlie Wood wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:
Angry of Mayfair wrote:

It's only for a couple of months though, he might like it here as a retirement home.

Take him fishing. Once he sees garfish bones........................
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:27 pm

The Chesterfield Errington (@alanbiggs1) has tweeted that Walsall are in pole position to sign Westcarr. The Chesterfield fans think Westcarr is on £2k/ week, which I would guess would be too much for us.

Alan Biggs did tweet that Sheridan was after Trotman, on Monday, but hasn't mentioned anything since.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 8:41 pm

Greenskin, I don't think Argyle are the dregs of the football league on a personal level. The comment relates solely to the league position. Most people realise that league 2 is the bottom of the barrel and we are next to the bottom of that. Hence the dregs analogy which is where you normally find them, at the bottom.

I know that some of you think you are football intellects but condemning players before they have even kicked a ball at the club is not knowledge. You may have a gut feeling they aren't going to be any good to to state it as a fact at that point is hardly more than a guess. On ATD in general it seems a sort of custom to deride everyone and anyone who signs for Argyle these days. I'm not saying that any of the signing that come here are going to be the greatest and never have about previous signees. What I'm prepared to do though is wait and see and that doesn't make some people genius material for condemning out of hand. If you look throughout history with Argyle I've no doubt that some "great" signings have proved to be crap and some supposed crap signings have proved to be good. How many people wrote Noone off as just a roofer from non league when he arrived? A few no doubt.

No he can't afford to get it wrong this time but if you don't back his judgement then there is no point him even trying is there.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 8:52 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Greenskin, I don't think Argyle are the dregs of the football league on a personal level. The comment relates solely to the league position. Most people realise that league 2 is the bottom of the barrel and we are next to the bottom of that. Hence the dregs analogy which is where you normally find them, at the bottom.

I know that some of you think you are football intellects but condemning players before they have even kicked a ball at the club is not knowledge. You may have a gut feeling they aren't going to be any good to to state it as a fact at that point is hardly more than a guess. On ATD in general it seems a sort of custom to deride everyone and anyone who signs for Argyle these days. I'm not saying that any of the signing that come here are going to be the greatest and never have about previous signees. What I'm prepared to do though is wait and see and that doesn't make some people genius material for condemning out of hand. If you look throughout history with Argyle I've no doubt that some "great" signings have proved to be crap and some supposed crap signings have proved to be good. How many people wrote Noone off as just a roofer from non league when he arrived? A few no doubt.

No he can't afford to get it wrong this time but if you don't back his judgement then there is no point him even trying is there.

It wasn't a gut feeling in the cases of Lowry,Griffiths,Guerrieri,Madjo et al,it was a question of looking at their recent records [taking into account the diverse standards of the game that some of them were playing at as well] and coming to the very logical conclusion that they were highly unlikely to be any fecking good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Looking at recent records???? Griffiths???? How could you deduce he wasn't any "feckin good" as you put it. I mean his record was piss poor. I repeat Noone being a non league roofer. Did you deduce he wasn't going to be any feckin good or was that somehow different. Matter of opinion I know but Guerreri hasn't been bad in mine and Madjo wasn't a disaster either. It takes all sorts to be effective as a team and some who don't work elsewhere work where they are now. That's football and life in general really. The football leagues are littered with players who have been great at one place and a failure at the next and vice versa. That includes managers as well.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:34 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Looking at recent records???? Griffiths???? How could you deduce he wasn't any "feckin good" as you put it. I mean his record was piss poor. I repeat Noone being a non league roofer. Did you deduce he wasn't going to be any feckin good or was that somehow different. Matter of opinion I know but Guerreri hasn't been bad in mine and Madjo wasn't a disaster either. It takes all sorts to be effective as a team and some who don't work elsewhere work where they are now. That's football and life in general really. The football leagues are littered with players who have been great at one place and a failure at the next and vice versa. That includes managers as well.

Just look at the league table and the results of the recruitment are there for all to see.And of course Noone was different.He was about 12 years younger than Griffiths and infinitely more likely to adapt to the demands of league football.I would actually equate Noone as a similar type of signing to that of PCH,who i regard as a player of some potential,you could also put Mariner,Marshall,Mackie etc in the same category when they signed for the club.But can you name a single instance of a player of Griffiths age making the step up from the welsh league [which is probably about conference south standard at best] to full time pro football? I can only think of one remotely similar and that was Tony Book,who was 31 when he came to Argyle but at a time when standards of fitness were not as great as those demanded in todays football.Can't think of anyone else unless you can put me right,which would suggest that he was very much the exception rather than the rule.As it stands,Griffiths was a poor signing and a waste of a valuable squad place-i really hope he proves me wrong in the remaining games of the season and Sheridan can bring something out of him but i somehow doubt it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Sorry Greenskin but some of that is bollocks. Nobody much had a good word to say about PCH when they signed him. Noone had no track record either so to say he was different from PCH or the same is just a guess and easy to state now after the event. Griffiths had scored goals for fun even if he was getting on a tad for a player. However, there was nothing to say he would be pants in his record apart from another guess. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. How many players have been signed by teams who should have been a success but weren't? How many have been the other way around? I have no real idea of numbers but would guess there are a fair few either way around. It just seems to me that anyone Argyle sign are assumed to be crap even before they kick anything let alone a ball on the pitch in a match. I'm prepared to give them a chance at least is all and then I won't have to guess I will know.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:22 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Sorry Greenskin but some of that is bollocks. Nobody much had a good word to say about PCH when they signed him. Noone had no track record either so to say he was different from PCH or the same is just a guess and easy to state now after the event. Griffiths had scored goals for fun even if he was getting on a tad for a player. However, there was nothing to say he would be pants in his record apart from another guess. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. How many players have been signed by teams who should have been a success but weren't? How many have been the other way around? I have no real idea of numbers but would guess there are a fair few either way around. It just seems to me that anyone Argyle sign are assumed to be crap even before they kick anything let alone a ball on the pitch in a match. I'm prepared to give them a chance at least is all and then I won't have to guess I will know.

Bollocks was it?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As far as i can see,nobody on that thread had much of a bad word to say about PCH,including me.A trifle cynical perhaps in some cases but generally hopeful that he would turn out to be another Mariner or Marshall.Actually,it could be said that cynicism was somewhat justified,a record of 2 goals in 19 games would suggest that he hasn't set the world on fire but nonetheless i still regard him as a player of some ability and promise.

Getting down to brass tacks once again,can you name a single player [other than the odd stalwart or two from BSP clubs who were promoted to the FL] apart from Tony Book who has made the step up beyond the age of 30?
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Noone was a youngster at Man Utd so had a bit more to him than other non-league players we signed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 pm

So how come he was non league when we got him if he had so much about him? It's not a case of who else was great or at what age Greenskin. That simply isn't the point I'm making. All I'm saying is that nobody, not even the manager who picks them can say for sure this one or that one will be good in the particular squad they have. If everything was that cut and dried then there would be no such thing as Horse Racing for a start. Everyone would know which one would win every time.

I'm not even trying to say that Griffiths is good. He may have worked out but without giving anyone a go then nobody will ever know for sure. Whoever we sign isn't going to be the world's greatest that much we do know. However, they may prove to be just the sort of tonic the squad needs at that time and therefore I'm prepared to wait and see before telling Sheridan they are crap. On here though, and this is a generalisation, most appear to condemn before the event in most cases. Maybe we will strike lucky because I still believe some of it is down to that. We get the players who succeed here and all is well. The alternative is to believe we are already relegated and I won't do that quite yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new player coming   new player coming - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

new player coming
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3