Charlie Wood
Chemical Ali
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 12:14 pm

John 'where were you in the war?' Lloyd provides a very good account of the meeting of the London Branch with James Brent, Peter Jones and Chris Webb-

Evening all

Thought I'd start a thread to report on this evening's excellent "Meet James Brent" event, hosted and organised by PASALB - I'm sure others will be along soon to add their two-penneth.

James Brent was accompanied by Chris Webb and Peter Jones, who were joined at the top table by PASALB chair Lee Jameson, who kicked off the evening with a detailed summary of recent events, followed by new club President Chris Webb, who went further with his view of the fight to keep the club alive and his great pride in being asked to serve as Sam Rendell's replacement.

Peter Jones then gave an interesting look back at where Argyle were, this time in each of the last five years, starting with the confirmation of the sale of the freehold to the club by Plymouth City Council in December 2006. It was by turns alarming, amusing and aggravating to be reminded of where we were and where we are now.

Onwards and upwards though, and it was time to hear from James Brent himself.

On each occasion that I've heard him speak, the key assessments that have come to mind are his calmness, his clarity of thought and his obvious consciousness of the great responsibility that now lies in his hands.

He "gets it".

There is no doubt of that and he and his family are now clearly emotionally invested in the club and it's meaning within the local community.

Ask him a question and there comes a straightforward and sanguine response - no hyperbole, no false promises, no flowery language - and more to the point, he looks you straight in the eye, steady as you can, while he replies. That's a comfort, after what we've endured in recent times.

It's clear to all that a great deal of work lies ahead to stabilise the club - that will begin with the building of a consultative board that will once again engage with the local community and begin to re-integrate PAFC back into the pysche and heart of the City of Plymouth.

It's easy to say that any port in a storm looks favourable and that we've been led up the garden path a few too many times recently.

But it would take a collective lapse of judgement on a monumental scale for so many sensible people to have mistaken James Brent for anything other than a very safe pair of hands.

2011 has been a trial of unimaginable proportions.

2012 will be hard at times and there will be some missed steps along the way.

But I think we can be assured that we're back on the right path again.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 12:26 pm

No Ian Newell?

Slowly but surely Brent is chipping away at the cynicism created by so many bitter years of failure and treachery, let's hope he keeps it up.

Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 1:25 pm

GOB wrote:
No Ian Newell?

Slowly but surely Brent is chipping away at the cynicism created by so many bitter years of failure and treachery, let's hope he keeps it up.

Hmm

"Great night - glad to finally meet Ian and Chris and Mr Brent is gent with only the best intentions for the future -plus these ultra scarfs rock!"
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Charlie Wood wrote:
GOB wrote:
No Ian Newell?

Hmm

"Great night - glad to finally meet Ian and Chris and Mr Brent is gent with only the best intentions for the future -plus these ultra scarfs rock!"

Knew it was to good to be true! Sleep
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 4:14 pm

The number of people who increasingly have good things to say about Brent as a person can't be ignored. I did & do have reservations about millionaire businessmen who make money whilst the workers wait for the leavings from their table BUT, given that, He certainly appears to have started really well.
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 4:55 pm

But the comments are only about his personality, assurance and style. It is no surprise that John lloyd would be taken by style, that's what he likes, more than the other protagonists. The report didn't really say anything apart from he seems a great bloke.
The whole world likes a good speaker, but it is of little use without a quick escape out and UP from this division. That must be the only response from owning a club of this size. Just look at the Crawleys, Exeters, Cheltenhams, Burtons and Maidstones above us.
Anything less than that, while concentrating on property matters, would be no better than the last bunch, in fact worse, given this is L2, not the CCC.

Let's not forget this man was the same assured soft speaker when he was heading up the global Citibank property division, a well known player in the economic disaster that is slowly enveloping all of us. I wouldn't have called that a success.
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Anyone reckon Chris Webbs criticism of John Lloyd recently and the PASOTI post was more than a coincidence? It looks like the latter has joined the Brent bog train.

I predict yet another tedious London/Plymouth civil war before too long.
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 7:46 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
But the comments are only about his personality, assurance and style. It is no surprise that John lloyd would be taken by style, that's what he likes, more than the other protagonists. The report didn't really say anything apart from he seems a great bloke.
The whole world likes a good speaker, but it is of little use without a quick escape out and UP from this division. That must be the only response from owning a club of this size. Just look at the Crawleys, Exeters, Cheltenhams, Burtons and Maidstones above us.
Anything less than that, while concentrating on property matters, would be no better than the last bunch, in fact worse, given this is L2, not the CCC.

Let's not forget this man was the same assured soft speaker when he was heading up the global Citibank property division, a well known player in the economic disaster that is slowly enveloping all of us. I wouldn't have called that a success.

Yup, but to be fair, Brent isn't promising anything other then "for now" survival.

I also think John has "bought in" and has made up his mind with the words from Brent rather then the actions from Brent. That could be a big mistake, it's far to early for opinions to be formed yet. Remember Stapes?
Back to top Go down
Mr President

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 7:48 pm

It was an excellent evening. Great turnout and lovely to meet up with fellow greens.

Roll on tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 7:53 pm

GOB wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:

Yup, but to be fair, Brent isn't promising anything other then "for now" survival.

I also think John has "bought in" and has made up his mind with the words from Brent rather then the actions from Brent. That could be a big mistake, it's far to early for opinions to be formed yet. Remember Stapes?

Yeah well, he's obviousLy In danger of being fogotten about isn't he
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 7:53 pm

Chris Webb wrote:
It was an excellent evening. Great turnout and lovely to meet up with fellow greens.

Roll on tomorrow.

See you tomorrow Chris - keep up the good work .
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Tiberius wrote:
Anyone reckon Chris Webbs criticism of John Lloyd recently and the PASOTI post was more than a coincidence? It looks like the latter has joined the Brent bog train.

Seemed to me that Chris was a hint threatened by John's prescence, could he see John as a threat I wonder? - Sit back and wait for the bubbles to ***POP***, it's gonna get interesting, esp. with JL providing the info that Chris likes to be associated with and Newell is probably secretly having labour pains.

Back in the bad old days Newell's camp had a massive campaign against P Jones with some wanting to ban PJ from pasoti, according to Ian and, although there's a "lick my arse" agenda at the moment there's probably blood boiling under the surface.

JL & PJ v CW & IN

Shut the door on the way out, Chris and Ian!
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 8:08 pm

GOB wrote:
Tiberius wrote:

Seemed to me that Chris was a hint threatened by John's prescence, could he see John as a threat I wonder? - Sit back and wait for the bubbles to ***POP***, it's gonna get interesting, esp. with JL providing the info that Chris likes to be associated with and Newell is probably secretly having labour pains.

Back in the bad old days Newell's camp had a massive campaign against P Jones with some wanting to ban PJ from pasoti, according to Ian and, although there's a "lick my arse" agenda at the moment there's probably blood boiling under the surface.

JL & PJ v CW & IN

And man never landed on the moon . Nice talking to you fellas . If I'm not back before Xmas - have a good one .
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 8:11 pm

And you GG,

rendeer***HAPPY CHRISTMAS***rendeer
Back to top Go down
Mr President

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 8:38 pm

GOB wrote:
Tiberius wrote:

JL & PJ v CW & IN

Haha GOB what are you on about?

Threatened by John? Why?

He made a post on pasoti. I disagreed with an element of it. Big deal.

Its nice of you to recognise there is an issue but maybe you could have let John and I know first?

I don't know anything about the history but all I know is that I have an excellent rapport with PJ and we speak everyday, knocking about ideas.

He wants the same as me - the best for Argyle and if he gets onto the board I will be delighted and for me it would be final piece of the jigsaw.

Sometimes GOB things can happen without having a huge series of underlying meanings.

Debate is healthy. You obsession with what 'might' be happening when it clearly isn't is not so healthy.

Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Chris Webb wrote:
GOB wrote:
Tiberius wrote:

JL & PJ v CW & IN

Haha GOB what are you on about?

Threatened by John? Why?

He made a post on pasoti. I disagreed with an element of it. Big deal.

Its nice of you to recognise there is an issue but maybe you could have let John and I know first?

I don't know anything about the history but all I know is that I have an excellent rapport with PJ and we speak everyday, knocking about ideas.

He wants the same as me - the best for Argyle and if he gets onto the board I will be delighted and for me it would be final piece of the jigsaw.

Sometimes GOB things can happen without having a huge series of underlying meanings.

Debate is healthy. You obsession with what 'might' be happening when it clearly isn't is not so healthy.

What happened last time with the 2001 board should have been perfect but then the board split and PASOTI backed the Plymouth element, as well they might. Members of both sides are still on the scene and I think resentments remain.

I see where your coming from Mr President, but we've been here before
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Chris Webb wrote:

I don't see Gob's comments as implying there is huge underlying meaning ... merely that most things are connected. Outside of bolts from the blue, almost all activity on this planet is connected to something.
I see recent stuff as renewed vying for influence now it is clear what's on offer..... it goes on in all walks of life. Some people smile while they're doing it, some don't. I detect a coming accord for a while amongst those that think they matter. All about impressing the new squire possibly, but not necessarily. Only the people themselves will know that.
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 9:39 pm

Evening all

I'm sorry to disappoint some of you, but there is no foundation whatsoever for what's been written and put against my name on this thread so far.

I have no axe to grind, no agenda, no personal animus and no interest in anything other than attempting to comment fairly and honestly on the issues affecting Argyle.

While I don't object to being described as a "Footite" - in fact, I regard that as a badge of honour - I try to keep to an independent path, commenting honestly on the important issues that affect our club without being allied too strongly to one camp or another.

I like to think that I do that without regard to personal attacks on individual posters - you'll be hard pressed to find me posting specifically in opposition to other individual fans, because I seek cohesion and unity, rather than discord and division.

That will often mean that some won't find my posts straightforward enough and the nuances will be lost.

Some of you seem to have mistaken a small variance of opinion with Chris Webb as an indicator of a major dispute. It isn't any more than a slight disagreement on the worth or relevance of fan involvement in club management. No more, no less.

I am honest enough to say that I certainly disengaged from Argyle throughout 2011, partly for personal reasons and partly because the tortuous slide downhill from 2007 onwards had drained me of all enthusiasm and passion. I had nothing left to give.

The PAST & DT decision to make a loan to PAFC forced me to resign in protest. Infighting and other issues led to me resign from PASALB and cease to be Pasty News Editor. I didn't renew my season ticket, due to justifiable concerns on where the money would be going.

Thank goodness, then, that others stepped up instead. Chris is quite within his rights to ask where I was. I wasn't there. He was.

So, the idea that I am in some way a threat or an alternative to Chris Webb couldn't be further from reality. I couldn't bring a tenth of his energy and drive to a primary role in driving our club back to a better place. I wouldn't dream of doing so, or accepting such a position. I haven't earned it.

While some of you appear to have a poor view of Chris, or Ian, or Peter Jones, or even James Brent, who had had no time to do anything wrong yet, my view is entirely different.

These individuals did something. They worked hard, made personal sacrifices, put themselves on the line and they came together, despite their obvious disparateness, to save our club.

They should be praised and given adequate space to find the next step on the path to bringing our club back to health.

More to the point, they should be given time to find their feet in doing so without having to look over their shoulders every five minutes to check for knives in their back from fellow Argyle supporters.

Together, we can do something for our club. Breaking apart into schismatic groups serves no purpose.

Let's leave ego and agenda behind and work together.

It's better that way.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Welcome John,typically thoughtful and thought provoking first post,if i may say so.
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 9:45 pm

Purely speculation Chris and John, as we all do on these sites. I hope there isn't a SW v London divide and that it doesn't develop, the last time it happened we ended up in a bit of mess and it would be in the interest of all if you guys managed to work together rather then spit at each other.

Welcome to the site John.
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 9:57 pm

John_Lloyd wrote:
I have no axe to grind, no agenda, no personal animus and no interest in anything other than attempting to comment fairly and honestly on the issues affecting Argyle.

That will often mean that some won't find my posts straightforward enough and the nuances will be lost.

Let's leave ego and agenda behind and work together.

It's better that way.

Welcome to ATD John, all opinion is encouraged here.
So, in nuance, you're saying you're more a recording historian than a diarist that tries to affect current thought ? cat

It would indeed be good to see the worst side of ego disappear from the agenda of some, along with some other unsavoury things. Have you ever had such a cosmopolitan Devon contingent at a PASALB meeting ? They must have hired a coach. santa
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Pasalb shizzle   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Like others have said, though it is nice to have a good speaker, I just don't trust anyone in charge any more. I remember Todd, Stapes, Campbell and various others wooing those on Pasoti at some social gig or other, only to turn out to be complete tools. What I would say is that Brent's actions thus far have been encouraging. Let's hope they can continue in that vein without Ridsdale about.

As for this thread, tho John Lloyd and others may not have attended every rally or had a season ticket from the start (only complete mugs did tbf), I think the point scoring 'where were you' stuff is pathetic and we need to move on. It certainly doesn't make your opinion any less valid.

Also, does Chris get paid expenses for these appearances? I would have thought with the other two speakers in attendance plus his fulltime job, a trip to London would be a bit, ya know, needless? I appreciate dedication, but the club isn't at stake any more. Have a rest, smoke a joint, say hello to yer missus again, etc.

Last edited by Mock Cuncher on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 10:14 pm

A good question. Why did anyone currently resident in Plymouth need to be at this meeting at all?
Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 10:22 pm

Good sensible post John. My problem with your post is that you are defending Chris after he questioned where you had been when the chips were down. It's that kind of "I'm a better fan than you" attitude that gets a lot of people's backs up. Chris, Ian and several others did, and are still, putting in amazing amounts of time and effort for Argyle, but my God don't the rest of us know it!

Maybe the ordinary Joe like me with my small financial contributions and spreading the word as best I could via Facebook, Twitter etc. was a drop in the ocean compared to others, but there are thousands like me who did small amounts which all added up.

Everyone has different reasons why the couldn't dedicate as much time and effort as some others, personally I have just become a father for the first time this year which has taken up a vast amount of my time and money, and yes the debacle of the last few years has made it more difficult to be motivated to the cause. The crisis the club was in left many Argyle fans disillusioned, and the appearance of Ridsdale at the club was the last straw for a lot of people I know from Cornwall. This kind of adversity also galvanises some people like Chris and Ian into action, and I'm grateful for them for the work they have put in. I just don't like the snide attitude shown sometimes towards people who didn't or couldn't put in the same effort, or who are understandably still not sure of James Brent's full intentions for the club, and who are asking questions that are relevant.

If only the "superfans" who manned the trenches are important, Home Park could look like a ghost town soon with a couple of hundred people in PASOTI polo shirts gathered round James Brent in the stand.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Was Naps on a walking holiday in London, then? lol!

How many PASALB do's has he frequented in the past?

I'm finding his desperation to shadow Webby and Brent at every opportunity, mildly amusing now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brent at PASALB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB Empty

Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next