Charlie Wood
Chemical Ali
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rickler

Rickler

Brent at PASALB - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 2:06 am

John, may I wish you a very warm welcome.

I think it was very appropriate you turned up here the day Christopher Hitchens died. An open and vibrant intellectual mind is always a good thing to have around, and your effulgence on this site will be much appreciated I am sure.

I read your post on Pasoti about the meeting, but despite two pages of ‘social incrowd banter’ I don’t think anyone has bothered to ask what Brent actually said to everyone?
I would hate to think that ATD would be so remiss --

If I may trouble you to enlighten us a little..?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 8:04 am

It wasn't my intention to provide a detailed report, as I thought others would fill in the blanks as the thread went along.

But in the absence of significant infill, here's what I can recall.

The first question focused on Ridsdale and his remuneration while at PAFC.

Brent had already stated that he would be happy to answer questions in as much detail as possible, where the answers didn't breach appropriate confidentiality. The summary of that answer was that his replacement (currently being identified by a top level headhunter) would most likely be more expensive - in short, Ridsdale hasn't bled us white. He went on to state that Ridsdale's role in our survival had been key.

Another question brought up the issue of our rivalry with Exeter City. While admitting that he was still learning about the nature of football, he suggested that the intensity of that rivalry is counter-productive, to the club which needs to pay £30k of policing costs when the teams meet, and to the region, which could do with a much higher profile nationally on a sporting level. His ideal would be to have police-free matches, but he recognises that is an optimistic aim in certain cases.

Engagement with the biggest driver in the City was vital and it was a surprise to him that it hadn't been done before. Expect a much closer relationship between the club and the University in the future. There are 33,000 potential fans there.

He is committed to providing Carl Fletcher and the coaching staff with unflagging support. The decision has been made and his plan is to ensure that Fletcher has all he needs to keep us in this league. That doesn't mean a big transfer budget for January, but it does allow for more players to join Purse and Chadwick in adding vital experience to the squad. Fletcher is young and learning the skill-set to be a manager, but Brent recognises something in him that exceeds his expectations and he's confident in his man.

He is in the process of constructing a new board. It won't be a traditional board.

Instead, it will be made up of people who can bring talent, experience and innovative thinking to the role. Not people who simply buy their way in and then just sit there watching football games with their friends and associates.

In other words, the board will be made up of doers.

The headhunting process is well advanced. The proof will be in the pudding.

He's looking forward to "being sacked" as Chairman.

I asked how he expected to balance the competing imperatives of repaying the staff as early as possible and providing the funds to develop the team to a higher standard. The summary of that answer is that the GT's will take the lead role in fundraising to speed up the staff repayment process and other "bonus" income will be added to the pot.

I think that's as much as I can recall for now.

I know it's easy to look for the positives and the blandishments, especially after what we've all been through recently.

But there is substance and resolution in what has been said so far.

Saying is one thing. Doing is another.

We'll see.

Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Pasalb shizzle   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 8:21 am

Cheers for the info John.

I'd query Brent's aims regarding the university. Even given the fact that most students look down their noses at Plymouth locals, it is a fact that barring those who go to uni in their home towns anyway, over four fifths of those studying outside London will leave the location of study after their course is up. Marketing schemes aimed at students will just never be a long term earner, I'm afraid. Unless on the other hand Brent was insinuating things regarding the development of Central Park/student accommodation...which leaves me slightly cold.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 8:39 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Was Naps on a walking holiday in London, then? lol!

How many PASALB do's has he frequented in the past?

I'm finding his desperation to shadow Webby and Brent at every opportunity, mildly amusing now.

'Tis more than mildly amusing, it's as if any absence will see a loss of your place at the top table and the cynic in me wonders if somebody suggested to John Lloyd that he should come on here and reinforce the party line. His second post is much more him.

As always I live in hope that my football team will bring me pleasure through on field success but all the noises coming out of HP, basically just a rehashing of the "organic growth" mantra hardly fill me with optimism.

My wife has just asked me who we're playing today and my reply that it's "the mighty Hereford" just drives me back into a deep decline. Hereford ffs Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 8:43 am

No-one suggested to me that I should post on here. I don't do others bidding.

I took a look at the site and saw some things that needed addressing.

No more, no less.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks for the detail John. Much appreciated.

Sadly, most of it sounds just like every other fresh new owner. Keith Todd was a newbie to football, and look how that successful patient businessman performed.
This bit is particularly worrying and shows a complete misunderstanding of what football is all about:-

Quote :
Another question brought up the issue of our rivalry with Exeter City. While admitting that he was still learning about the nature of football, he suggested that the intensity of that rivalry is counter-productive, to the club which needs to pay £30k of policing costs when the teams meet, and to the region, which could do with a much higher profile nationally on a sporting level. His ideal would be to have police-free matches, but he recognises that is an optimistic aim in certain cases.

Engagement with the biggest driver in the City was vital and it was a surprise to him that it hadn't been done before. Expect a much closer relationship between the club and the University in the future. There are 33,000 potential fans there.

Except a few, nobody likes it when things go over the top, but the truth is a lot of football's attraction is it's actual tribal competition. It is a big factor in driving huge crowds to watch a bunch of young men kick a ball around, when it is far more fun to either do it yourself or do something else. Does he really think football is going to change in Plymouth because he has got involved now ? Perhaps he's another driver of the contrived Ultras area for 10 year olds to paint their faces in mock warrior style ( sorry Mock ). In my experience, for every free u10 year old ( nb: future supporter supposedly ) that is encouraged to pass through the gate and take centre stage, another present and full price adult disappears. Surely we've had enough of the sanitisation and Americanisation of football stadiums. These sort of 'business ideas' should never be let anywhere near a football club.
As for policing costs, more police than ever are going to be policing public events as the economic situation develops, especially events where large groups of young men congregate. And in this particular case, I'd far rather the police than more cheap knucklehead stewards.

As for the old chestnut of the 'student pound', I will wager any money that in two years, no significant increase will come from this area. Every business plan in the Plymouth area target the mythical pot of riches. And every year they fail. Apart from a few bars, supermarkets and landlords, most businesses don't get a look in .... THEY'RE NOT INTERESTED, and even less so in the future with the huge fees increase and declining industry that it will be. If he is not referring to gate receipts, and more into engaging in other areas, then that raises the ugly head of property matters again.
I cannot comment on the quality of the purring and the open wide eyes as I wasn't there, but the content is all bulk standard so far.

Last edited by penzancepirate on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:59 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 8:53 am

PP, agree.

All these university 'fans' are going to suddenly start supporting Argyle then? Are we going to have the equivalent of Exeter's Grecianettes dancing on the pitch in front of the Devonport End? Not that that is a bad thing Wink

I also agree with the quoted bit in your last post, the bit about Exeter, I know it is quoted out of context, but it would appear to show a fantastic lack of understanding.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 9:46 am

Cerbera wrote:
PP, agree.

All these university 'fans' are going to suddenly start supporting Argyle then? Are we going to have the equivalent of Exeter's Grecianettes dancing on the pitch in front of the Devonport End? Not that that is a bad thing Wink

I also agree with the quoted bit in your last post, the bit about Exeter, I know it is quoted out of context, but it would appear to show a fantastic lack of understanding.

Didn't we have the 'Drum Majorettes' way back when ? Muddy white boots and tights ............ lovely !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 10:41 am

Chris Webb wrote:
GOB wrote:
Tiberius wrote:
Anyone reckon Chris Webbs criticism of John Lloyd recently and the PASOTI post was more than a coincidence? It looks like the latter has joined the Brent bog train.

I predict yet another tedious London/Plymouth civil war before too long.

Seemed to me that Chris was a hint threatened by John's prescence, could he see John as a threat I wonder? - Sit back and wait for the bubbles to ***POP***, it's gonna get interesting, esp. with JL providing the info that Chris likes to be associated with and Newell is probably secretly having labour pains.

Back in the bad old days Newell's camp had a massive campaign against P Jones with some wanting to ban PJ from pasoti, according to Ian and, although there's a "lick my arse" agenda at the moment there's probably blood boiling under the surface.

JL & PJ v CW & IN

Shut the door on the way out, Chris and Ian!

Haha GOB what are you on about?

Threatened by John? Why?

He made a post on pasoti. I disagreed with an element of it. Big deal.

Its nice of you to recognise there is an issue but maybe you could have let John and I know first?

I don't know anything about the history but all I know is that I have an excellent rapport with PJ and we speak everyday, knocking about ideas.

He wants the same as me - the best for Argyle and if he gets onto the board I will be delighted and for me it would be final piece of the jigsaw.

Sometimes GOB things can happen without having a huge series of underlying meanings.

Debate is healthy. You obsession with what 'might' be happening when it clearly isn't is not so healthy.

Much of my comment wasn't even regarding you Chris, it was regarding issues that as you say, you are not aware of (history). I'm sure Ian, John, PJ or many other Pasoti users will fill you in on the history as can anyone posting on this thread at the moment.

Sometimes Chris things can happen without having a huge series of underlying meanings.

There's only two people that use the expression "obsession" with such frequency, you and Ian, it comes over in an almost defensive context seemingly when you feel a need to personalise a debate. It's called "passive manoeuvring" and is generally seen as a weakness and it won't wash with the users on this site, that's the reason why many of us are on here and not pasoti, we see right through the agenda of name calling and character slurring. It's something that you seem to be gaining a reputation for when it comes to just the slightest hint of of what maybe criticism.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 11:58 am

John_Lloyd wrote:
Saying is one thing. Doing is another.

We'll see.

I think that's what I have been saying in various posts and places. More & more people are saying good things about him personally and what he has done has also reinforced the positive view. By the way in my post above, it was a capitals typo that led to me describing him as "He" - I am not yet ready to describe him as the new Messiah. Let's give him time. As long as the signings are good enough to save us from relegation he may eventually become the Messiah but not yet. The interesting point will come if the club ever face real difficulties in any way. That's when people are tested and prove themselves.

When I was at college I used to go regularly to watch the local teams, especially Wolves. But they were all top sides at the time - WBA, Birmingham, Villa. I can't see a club in the bottom tier having the same impact - especially if you are a student whose normal team of choice is way above us in the leagues. We may bring the odd handful in. I guess that handful would grow if we were playing attractive football and climbing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Everything depends on the product, as in any other business.
We need investment, a new production line, quality control and attractive delivery dates.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Pasalb shizzle   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 1:54 pm

Chemical ali wrote:

"Meet James Brent" event
"Meet James Br-event"?...
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Just to clarify a few points on this most ridiculous thread.

I as Chair of the organisation invited Chris Webb, Ian Newell and the GT. We have workrd together on a number of projects for the last year and I just wanted them to come and sample the delights og what you call the City of London.

As Chris said it is about supporting each other and I am sure we will all continue to do so.

Please if it is just for Christmas lay of lads!

Lee
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 6:04 pm

funny man wrote:

When I was at college I used to go regularly to watch the local teams, especially Wolves. But they were all top sides at the time - WBA, Birmingham, Villa. I can't see a club in the bottom tier having the same impact

Leicester City, the young Peter Shilton, the wonderful Frank Worthingon, jumpers for goalposts, bunk in, how could one refuse.
Now look at it. Free pasty and a pint for £5, scowls from meek people experimenting, and woe betide you if you stand up. It's the football wot wins it, the day, not marketing. The age demographic at Argyle is rather bleak I believe. It doesn't surprise me. What self respecting student would do a day at HP and the marquee ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 10:42 am

I enjoyed the Hoop & Grapes get together...........meeting James Brent, Chris Webb and others for the first time..............and eventually tasting a good pasty for the first time for awhile.............until I was offered one of the so called items, that I assumed had come all the way from the motherland..........what a let down..........it made Ginsters taste like the Rolls Royce of Pastys and that would take some doing.............who was responsible for that squelchy limp offering of tastlessness............I had avoided eating since mid-day so I could enjoy a proper Cornish Pasty............better Pastys are available on any London Mainline Terminus Station...........served by East Europeans speaking pidgeon english..............maybe thats what is was, one of the missing London pidgeons.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 11:42 am

Welcome Princerock, Merry Christmas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Welcome Princerock. I'm sure I recognise your handwriting from somewhere. silent
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brent at PASALB   Brent at PASALB - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Brent at PASALB
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2