a39er
Tringreen
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

New flag coming - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 1:59 pm

a39er wrote:
What I find most objectionable about this, and the discussion it's promoted, is the attempt to homogenise the football-going experience and the demand that everyone signs up to it or keeps away. Several comments on there imply that if you don't want a flag, then you've no business going: if you don't want to conform to the Soccer AM, artificial, ra-ra product and contribute to the "atmosphere" then get out of football.

Moreover, the argument (promoted as incontrovertible) that the Devonport flag has improved the atmosphere really doesn't stand up. The flag's been out for two matches. I've not really noticed a discernible increase in noise (and I gather Gordon Sparks describe the atmosphere as "the Home Park library" on Saturday). But even if the atmosphere *had* improved over the last two games, it doesn't mean it's down to the flag. It might - just might - have had something to do with the performance on the pitch? The argument that it's down to the flag is a classic example of 'post hoc, ergo propter hoc'.

I like the cut of your jib, a39er, I agree with all of your post and erudite Latin quotes are always to be welcomed, not an old College boy are you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Womble wrote:
Personally I think the flag is a great idea, and I'm a miserable bugger and all! I dont understand the need to try and belittle absolutley everything just for the sake of it.

It's not what I said though Womble, what I said was that as a customer I think that "we" as all customers of the Lyndhurst should be consulted, I personally would say no as would my two mates would, however if a majority like the idea then too bad the flag would go ahead. (As it will anyway as El Pres. has decided and is buying it anyway).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Iggy wrote:
Womble wrote:
Personally I think the flag is a great idea, and I'm a miserable bugger and all! I dont understand the need to try and belittle absolutley everything just for the sake of it.

It's not what I said though Womble, what I said was that as a customer I think that "we" as all customers of the Lyndhurst should be consulted, I personally would say no as would my two mates would, however if a majority like the idea then too bad the flag would go ahead. (As it will anyway as El Pres. has decided and is buying it anyway).
Just doesn't make you feel like a team player does it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Iggy wrote:
Womble wrote:

Iggy, i get the impression that you just like a good old moan!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Charlie Wood wrote:
a39er wrote:
What I find most objectionable about this, and the discussion it's promoted, is the attempt to homogenise the football-going experience and the demand that everyone signs up to it or keeps away. Several comments on there imply that if you don't want a flag, then you've no business going: if you don't want to conform to the Soccer AM, artificial, ra-ra product and contribute to the "atmosphere" then get out of football.

Moreover, the argument (promoted as incontrovertible) that the Devonport flag has improved the atmosphere really doesn't stand up. The flag's been out for two matches. I've not really noticed a discernible increase in noise (and I gather Gordon Sparks describe the atmosphere as "the Home Park library" on Saturday). But even if the atmosphere *had* improved over the last two games, it doesn't mean it's down to the flag. It might - just might - have had something to do with the performance on the pitch? The argument that it's down to the flag is a classic example of 'post hoc, ergo propter hoc'.

I like the cut of your jib, a39er, I agree with all of your post and erudite Latin quotes are always to be welcomed, not an old College boy are you?

Oi! Stop being all 'posh'! You drink Nukeee Brooon.

You've used words of more than two syllables there, how the hell do you expect Nool and Fool to keep up if they have to keep rushing off to get the Oxford Picture Dictionary for Primary Schools?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 2:32 pm

Who is paying for this flag is this another mystery donation?
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Grumpy wrote:

We're not allowed to ask.

Anyone who does is having a cheap shot according to Webb.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 2:48 pm

I have no problem with a flag or a second or a third flag. If people want to buy the biggest flag in the world with images of various important people who were once at the club - that's entirely up to them. I think the money raised would be better spent elsewhere but I could say that for lots of charities, government or local authority spending. And as for my neighbour's choice of garden gnome Rolling Eyes . It is a pity that the money raised isn't going to pay off the staff at the club (that really isn't a "pathetic cheap shot", Chris, it's a perfectly valid expression of disagreement) but then I think it is a pity that multi-millionairre Mr Brent doesn't put his hand into his back pocket and pay them off himself. I'm funny that way. What I do absolutely and fundamentally have an objection to is the implication that I would be a spoilsport if I chose not to join in with the wag-flaving - my choice, my life. Worse still is any implication that I am not a proper fan or "negative" for not wanting to do so.

Some people like flags. Some people don't. It would be a momentary inconvenience for me. I enjoy watching individuals warm up, I am interested in how they look before the match starts. It isn't all about the 90 minutes. I may miss some of that. But no big deal. When I first went to Argyle some people were still carrying the old wooden rattles (remember them?) They made a terrible racket but were exciting. Nowadays, with hearing difficulties, they would do my head in. But it's a flippin' football game it's not a concert by Brahms! Get over it. If you think it will add to the atmosphere good on you. I happen to disagree but that may be my loss.

Back to top Go down
lawnmowerman

lawnmowerman

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Peggy wrote:
Sorry but I have to correct that, Lawnmowerman. The majority in favour have probably moved into the Demport very recently, and show no regard whatsoever for those who were already there. These initiatives might be encouraging some new fans, but they're clearly putting off a lot of existing ones.

I stand corrected also its not fair on you and others to feel unwelcome. What people on the farm forget they only represent 2percent of the fan base but seem to think they are the majority tossers

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 4:04 pm

monti czardas wrote:
Iggy wrote:
Womble wrote:

Iggy, i get the impression that you just like a good old moan!

Correct, but it does get on my tits getting stick for having discussions on an internet discussion board. Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 7:59 pm

Womble wrote:

Point taken Womble. My complaint - apart from the vast cost of another flag - is that FV was imposed on the Demport without even telling us, let alone asking us. Now something lesser, but still similar, is being done to the Lyndhurst.

If FV is really meant to be about instilling values, I'd like to see them going through blocks 3 and 4 with the season ticket map from the ticket office, putting a sticker on every ST seat, and then keeping off those seats.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 8:46 pm

Peggy wrote:
Still, keep to the script, eh? Next it'll be I'm a witch, or I need a good seeing to, or I banned so-and-so for racism ...

tw@t release on the farm....

IJN3 To my niece Sally, sorry for calling you a witch, twas only in jest my love. :-))))

Peggy... It was all a big misunderstanding.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Rickler wrote:
Peggy wrote:
Still, keep to the script, eh? Next it'll be I'm a witch, or I need a good seeing to, or I banned so-and-so for racism ...

tw@t release on the farm....

IJN3 To my niece Sally, sorry for calling you a witch, twas only in jest my love. :-))))

Peggy... It was all a big misunderstanding.

Looking at the tweet I copied and pasted, I very much doubt if it was aimed at his niece ...

Quote :
IJN3 pBay, I love it. Anyone seen a cauldron around, I know a witch that's missing one!! #needsagoodman

And besides, we know he fed Dane the line about me allegedly needing a good seeing to (very poor choice of abuse, btw). Or maybe that was all a big misunderstanding, too. As were the lines about me banning people, and the rest.

Two out of ten for the attempt to cover his back this time, though.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 9:03 pm

Does anyone kno how much the first flag cost, another seems a little frivoulous? Anyway I might spunk all over in the excitement, perhaps I should warn Webby?
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Peggy wrote:
And besides, we know he fed Dane the line about me allegedly needing a good seeing to (very poor choice of abuse, btw). Or maybe that was all a big misunderstanding, too. As were the lines about me banning people, and the rest.

Two out of ten for the attempt to cover his back this time, though.

Hasn't looked in for three weeks and now he's gone 'live'!

Who needs Tw@tter when you get "followed" on ATD?

IJN wrote:

"IJN3 It has come to my attention that my 'witch' comment was thought to be about another woman, known to me. I can assure you, #thatisnotthecase. 8 minutes ago ยท reply"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 8:43 am

Peggy wrote:
Womble wrote:

Point taken Womble. My complaint - apart from the vast cost of another flag - is that FV was imposed on the Demport without even telling us, let alone asking us. Now something lesser, but still similar, is being done to the Lyndhurst.

If FV is really meant to be about instilling values, I'd like to see them going through blocks 3 and 4 with the season ticket map from the ticket office, putting a sticker on every ST seat, and then keeping off those seats.

FV should have taken over the Zoo Corner from the start, its the best place. Since the redevelopment Zoo Corner was always the best for atmosphere, and being in competition with the away fans would spur the FV singers on. Plus any flags and displays would be more visable for the camera's there.

Has the added bonus of not p***ing off existing Devonport ST holders.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 8:51 am

Womble wrote:
Peggy wrote:
Womble wrote:

FV should have taken over the Zoo Corner from the start, its the best place. Since the redevelopment Zoo Corner was always the best for atmosphere, and being in competition with the away fans would spur the FV singers on. Plus any flags and displays would be more visable for the camera's there.

That's the thing that is probably p***ing off a lot of Demport ST holders. There are plenty of pay on the day areas in the ground, Webby and his cronies could easily have gone to any other block in the ground that was pay on the day but didn't.

He may be uniting the wannabe hooligans and chavvy kids but he's alienating a lot of ST holders.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:02 am

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Grumpy wrote:

We're not allowed to ask.

Anyone who does is having a cheap shot according to Webb.

Meanwhile in the shirt framing mine, the mental midgets are working overtime.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:03 am

Womble wrote:
Peggy wrote:
Womble wrote:

Its a long way round to the prawn sandwiches and Dave Banana from there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:09 am

Iggy - is this you?

argyleiggy wrote:
No they were not, tbf the Demport is the ultras stand which you can decide to sit in or move, I think that the Lyndy should at least be consulted, Webby won't do it because he has already made the decision and bought the flag.

If so, why shouldn't we have been consulted, and why should we have to move?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:34 am

A lot of people actually like seeing the players come out at the start of the match. Having a great big stupid flag over the head stops people from being able to do that.

Webb OUT
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:38 am

Webb eventually came up with a good idea about the flag. Why not move the Devonport flag over to the Lyndhurst for a game and see what the fans thought. If they liked it then buy another one, if not don't bother.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:44 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Webb eventually came up with a good idea about the flag. Why not move the Devonport flag over to the Lyndhurst for a game and see what the fans thought. If they liked it then buy another one, if not don't bother.

Is this a wind up or is this serious in like, the real world? lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:52 am

I think Chill has just come up with the best solution on pasoti - a TRANSPARENT flag. Let's vote on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:08 am

knecht wrote:
I think Chill has just come up with the best solution on pasoti - a TRANSPARENT flag. Let's vote on it.

Link, link? lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New flag coming   New flag coming - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

New flag coming
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next